Blackwater - Page 2

Blackwater

This is a discussion on Blackwater within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Pickpocket Why? Would it be so that he could get a healthy dose of Scahill's unabashed anti-Bush rhetoric, or so that he ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackwater

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pickpocket View Post
    Why? Would it be so that he could get a healthy dose of Scahill's unabashed anti-Bush rhetoric, or so that he can spend time trying to learn something only to discover that the author has no real journalistic credibility or objective capabilities, simply a political agenda that he wants to push?

His research was shoddy, his facts convoluted. He couldn't even get simple figures right... or, maybe the truth just got in the way of his message.

This book is worthless.
    That was the book I saw in Barnes & Noble. Was going to buy it. Glad you told me, now I won't bother. Thanks. My summer reading list is already huge. BTW, can you tell meabout your avatar? Looks oddly familiar, yet I can't place it.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I don't buy that for a moment. Sounds like an NPR hit piece on Christians. There is a book out on Blackwater. You can get it on amazon or at a Barnes & Noble. I plan on reading it.

But if NPR said the sun was shining, I'd go outside to double check.

Blackwater is all about profit. I seriously doubt they'd turn down a satanic baby sacrificing pagan (randomized choice of belief systems -- feel free to insert your own) if they were a former member of SEAL Team 6. If they did, I'm sure NPR would give them a job in a heartbeat.
    Ditto that for me; I've taken Blackwater's Handgun Level I and Level II courses and did not get any such impression.

Their training is excellent! You will be amazed at how well their instructors can shoot. You'll get to see them in action because they demo every drill before the students do the drill.

Great place; great training. This may be significant to know: the focus (no pun intended) is on shooting fast and accurately, and less on tactics. They teach front sight focus shooting exclusively.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Why? Would it be so that he could get a healthy dose of Scahill's unabashed anti-Bush rhetoric, or so that he can spend time trying to learn something only to discover that the author has no real journalistic credibility or objective capabilities, simply a political agenda that he wants to push?

His research was shoddy, his facts convoluted. He couldn't even get simple figures right... or, maybe the truth just got in the way of his message.

This book is worthless.
    I went to a reading by Scahill toward his book two weeks ago and it was for me very interesting.
    Of course it is one view but it is a view. As for Bush, he's no friend of mine and even if he were to hear dialog from those who have counterpoint is not a bad thing.

The book is relevant and useful toward securing an overall base of relevant information which would of course come from a multitude of sources and resources.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have taken classes down there. FANTASTIC facility, but as a Civy you do not get to pick your instructor. This generally means that you get a local cop that is simply going to follow a script put together (which is what we got). While I liked the guy and he was a good shooter, I was wanting a little more info than what was provided.

BW back then was fairly reasonable, but now it is VERY expensive. I would suggest taking a class with Larry Vickers or Pat Rogers. They are cheaper than BW and you willl get better instruction.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

VIP Member
    My agency employs the majority of BW PSD guys serving right now, and also pays for the BW helos in Baghdad. As you may or may not know, two of their OH-6s were shot down not too long ago, and a HUGE firefight ensued trying to get to the crash sight(s). I've flown in those birds several times, and can tell you that it is some dangerous and delicate flying.

They do want 160th SOAR guys, but I don't think it is an absolute requirement. They DO NOT require any religious afiliation from their contractors, period. They still have a pretty good reputation among most of us who employ them/work with them, but they are suffering the same fate as all of the other Private Military Companies: there are only so many truly 'Tier 1' guys out there, and they have been in high demand for more than 5 years now. The standards are going down, to the point where pretty much any honorably discharged grunt or MP can hire on as a window licker if they can get through the training program, which is fairly rigorous but nothing to write home about.

In my experiences with them, they are generally a good bunch of guys with solid training and sound judgement. Of course, there are exceptions, as in any large group of Type-A personalities. The pay is good (varies by specialty/experience/et cetera, but starts around 100K for a window licker), the equipment is good (though you had better learn to like the Glock, if you work under our contracts), the work is dangerous. If you have any specific questions that don't violate OPSEC, I'll try to help - but keep in mind that I was pretty much a G-man window licker when I worked with them, and wasn't heavily involved in the actual administration of the contract.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    "Window licker".....man I havent heard that phrase for a few years, LOL. Man for an OCS grunt your purty funny. If I wasnt in a good career and in the twilight of this one, I would drop off and pick up a contract.

Folks need to understand that these contractors have been around since Vietnam. It was the best kept secret in the community, but now everyone knows about it.

Its one of those situations, that a contractor dies, no media outlet really cares, unlike the barrage of when a soldier dies. Politics is a great evil.

Heck when you get the phone call enticing you to work for a 6 month contract with a 6 month option at about 165K a year, its hard to turn down.

Hey OPFOR, guess being a "window licker" is better than being a "strap hanger", LOL. (and in no way am I saying you are one).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    "Window licker".....man I havent heard that phrase for a few years, LOL. Man for an OCS grunt your purty funny. If I wasnt in a good career and in the twilight of this one, I would drop off and pick up a contract.

Folks need to understand that these contractors have been around since Vietnam. It was the best kept secret in the community, but now everyone knows about it.

Its one of those situations, that a contractor dies, no media outlet really cares, unlike the barrage of when a soldier dies. Politics is a great evil.

Heck when you get the phone call enticing you to work for a 6 month contract with a 6 month option at about 165K a year, its hard to turn down.

Hey OPFOR, guess being a "window licker" is better than being a "strap hanger", LOL. (and in no way am I saying you are one).
    Yeah, I've even considered taking a Leave of Absense and doing a tour with them - they are obviously keen to have Agents on board if for no other reason than the connections we have... The problem is, I don't think my agency would be too keen to have me jump ship for a year - I know that if I go back to Iraq, they'll want it to be under their banner...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    That was the book I saw in Barnes & Noble. Was going to buy it. Glad you told me, now I won't bother. Thanks. My summer reading list is already huge. BTW, can you tell meabout your avatar? Looks oddly familiar, yet I can't place it.
    The book is worth reading, for no other reason than "know your enemy"...
    The avatar is my company's emblem.

The book is worth reading, for no other reason than "know your enemy"...
    Which is a perfectly valid exercise, one which I wish more people would do.
    I got chastised ITT for listening to NPR, I didn't bother to explain that I alternate between NPR and Conservative Talk Radio while at work, I get an overview that most people don't experience. They might both be wrong and the truth is somewhere inbetween but at least I am not getting all my information from one source.
    Diversity in news sources is useful to attain a level of deeper understanding.

VIP Member
    Plus, NPR has "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" and that other trivia game...

Talking I listen to NPR, too...

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Plus, NPR has "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" and that other trivia game...
    Great JAZZ in the mornings where I am. I mean REAL jazz not elevator music.

But when it's the BBC news period, I flip.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links