Blackwater

This is a discussion on Blackwater within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A buddy of mine is looking for a job as a rotary-wing pilot (Helicopter). He asked me today if I knew anything about Blackwater. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackwater

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Blackwater

A buddy of mine is looking for a job as a rotary-wing pilot (Helicopter). He asked me today if I knew anything about Blackwater. I gave him a pretty general rundown on them, but I have to admit I know very little about them.

Other than running personal protection for VIPs, etc, does anyone have any relevent info on them that isn't listed on their website?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I'd like to hear what members have to say too, I was looking at maybe taking a class or two of theirs.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Six go to the library and pick up some old SOF mags , africa then is blackwater today . I wont say its good or bad , but it is " buyer beware" and if the scale is much higher than the oilfield work ( for me now they offer 50 to 75 an hour to run machines and boss a crew ) i would beware . For myself i wont consider any job that may involve weapons .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I know a life-flight ex-military heli pilot who applied to Blackwater and was turned down last year. They want special ops flying experience as a minimum and black ops even better. They have numerous applicants for every slot and only take the very best.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Blackwater is one of the few contracting agencies that actually provides their own air support for their contractors.

Another option he might want to look into is the US Customs and Border Protection. They are looking for quality pilots to fly counter drug missions.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Well...does it count if I REALLY REALLY WANT A SIG P226 BlackWater Edition? 9mm Of course?

Seriously, the proximity of the place makes it attractive to me of all the name schools. It's on the coast of North Carolina near the border of Virginia. Also it is a HUGE facility. I'd like to take some of their courses just to see.

Work for them? Never. Yes they can get air support, but for them the bottom line is the almighty dollar. They promise huge sums (3K a day for high risk jobs in Iraq). They promise much but deliver little to their people. Remember those guys who got slaughtered early in the Iraq war and were hung up like gutted hogs on a bridge? They were Blackwater guys.

They tried to recruit a friend of mine for a job like that, but he's a SF retired 05 and knew better. These days he writes position papers with a SOF emphasis for about $400 an hour for one of those "inside-the-beltway" defense industry companies. Each paper takes an average of three hours to compile. He gets three papers a month to write and he's been doing this for about five years. Not bad in addition to his retirement, huh? Never has to leave his home in north Florida. That's the best kind of post military job.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I listened to a program about Blackwater on NPR a few weeks ago, the main thing I took away from it is that the owner is a Evangelical Christian and demands that all employees are too.
    This may or may not be an issue for your friend but obviously if he is of a different faith he might want to save the time and effort of interviewing.

Thumbs down NPR?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I listened to a program about Blackwater on NPR a few weeks ago, the main thing I took away from it is that the owner is a Evangelical Christian and demands that all employees are too.

This may or may not be an issue for your friend but obviously if he is of a different faith he might want to save the time and effort of interviewing.
    I don't buy that for a moment. Sounds like an NPR hit piece on Christians. There is a book out on Blackwater. You can get it on amazon or at a Barnes & Noble. I plan on reading it.

But if NPR said the sun was shining, I'd go outside to double check.

Blackwater is all about profit. I seriously doubt they'd turn down a satanic baby sacrificing pagan (randomized choice of belief systems -- feel free to insert your own) if they were a former member of SEAL Team 6. If they did, I'm sure NPR would give them a job in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; April 27th, 2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Deleted another post for off topic, clarifying this one
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I don't buy that for a moment. Sounds like an NPR hit piece on Christians. There is a book out on Blackwater. You can get it on amazon or at a Barnes & Noble. I plan on reading it.

But if NPR said the sun was shining, I'd go outside to double check.

Blackwater is all about profit. I seriously doubt they'd turn down a satanic baby sacrificing pagan if they were a former member of SEAL Team 6. If they did, I'm sure NPR would give them a job in a heartbeat.
    Ha-ha, not a subscriber there then?

Isn't satanic/pagan a contradiction?

They were interviewing someone who had just wrote a 'hatchet job' book on the Blackwater boss and his dealings with Rumsfeld and Cheney, accusing them of writing blank checks etc. It was interesting, not necessarily to everyone.

There's a piece or two of decent info in this thread, but most of it is second-hand and/or simply wrong. There are also some fairly opinionated views on the contracting world that are just that...opinions.

If you want info on Blackwater, how about asking specific questions, and asking them of the people who have WORKED for the company.

Or, have your pilot friend do his own research, if he really wants the work.

Off topic

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    - Janq would advise your friend to read this book, first
    Why? Would it be so that he could get a healthy dose of Scahill's unabashed anti-Bush rhetoric, or so that he can spend time trying to learn something only to discover that the author has no real journalistic credibility or objective capabilities, simply a political agenda that he wants to push?

His research was shoddy, his facts convoluted. He couldn't even get simple figures right... or, maybe the truth just got in the way of his message.

This book is worthless.

How did this thread drift from info for a heli pilot to Blackwater bashing? Before you knock them too much remember that they get the cream of the crop in that world and fill a vital niche. I happen to know one gent who retired from Delta and is on his fourth tour with them. The money is great, he's doing what he always trained for with guys he knows and respects. He says the equipment is first class and the morale is great.

Like it or not there have always been "mercenary" forces in the world. Read your history. Sometimes they've been good, respected forces and sometimes they've been bad news but they've always been around.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Exclamation +1!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    How did this thread drift from info for a heli pilot to Blackwater bashing? Before you knock them too much remember that they get the cream of the crop in that world and fill a vital niche. I happen to know one gent who retired from Delta and is on his fourth tour with them. The money is great, he's doing what he always trained for with guys he knows and respects. He says the equipment is first class and the morale is great.

Like it or not there have always been "mercenary" forces in the world. Read your history. Sometimes they've been good, respected forces and sometimes they've been bad news but they've always been around.
    You are absolutely correct. I've already said I'd like to take the training courses, for a number of reasons. As far as working for them, I'd never be qualified and I'm too old anyway. Folks who DO work for them seem to like it and as long as they know the risks, well, why not? As you said, mercs have been around since Christ was a corporal. They fill a vital niche on the world stage.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; April 28th, 2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: punctuation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links