F-22 Raptor WHOAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on F-22 Raptor WHOAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just had the pleasure of watching the Raptor doing.... basically whatever it wanted to do. What an amazing plane! I am still trying to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-22 Raptor WHOAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

VIP Member

Thumbs up F-22 Raptor WHOAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had the pleasure of watching the Raptor doing.... basically whatever it wanted to do. What an amazing plane! I am still trying to digest one manouver: Flying vertical and not quite fast, it stopped, then tumbled backwards 270 degrees then do a slow flat spin 180 and take off like a bat out of hell! And I don't think it lost 100 feet of altitude while doing all the stuff. It looked like a mad helicopter in the hands of an equally derranged pilot. Awsome airplane...just awsome!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Some of the things that can be accomplished with vectored thrust are just amazing.

Check out this video of a MiG-29 doing a "cobra" maneuver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAxx3T53TxM

And an SU-30 doing unspeakable things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26A9p4SoIt0

The F-22 is one of the few American military aircraft that I have not seen in person (if anyone ever has to stay in Southwest Ohio for some reason, make sure you check out the USAF museum at Wright Patterson AFB, better than the Smithsonian's Air & Space and tons of awesome aircraft), but all of the videos I have seen of it are amazing, and nothing in the world, even our own other jets, can compete with it. I think I read once where in training and testing they had something like a dozen of our current fighters (F-15's I believe) flying against it, and it simulated killed all of them before any of them had it on radar.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

When I was still in the Air Force they briefed us on its capabilities. I can't begin to put in words how I feel about this plane. It's too bad that it is sooo expensive. I think they should retire the F117 to pay for more of these much more versatile aircraft.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Where I live, we are lucky enough to get regular 'air shows' as they fly around. We are not far from Oceana and our gunclub is just outside of a bombing range.

Many of our enemies will never get to see one - they will be ashes before they even know a Raptor is around!!!

At least some of my tax dollars are well spent!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

LBrombach, they just did retire the F-117. If I remember correctly the last F-117 wing closed as of the beginning of this year.

Cool story about the F-22, we were TDY to Tyndall AFB to play with them and for the first two days our jets (F-16's) kept coming down Code 2 for weapons system problems. After debriefing the pilots and viewing a couple of the tapes I pointed out that even if you can visually see them it's kind of hard to get a radar lock on a stealth jet.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    The F-22 is one of the few American military aircraft that I have not seen in person (if anyone ever has to stay in Southwest Ohio for some reason, make sure you check out the USAF museum at Wright Patterson AFB, better than the Smithsonian's Air & Space and tons of awesome aircraft), but all of the videos I have seen of it are amazing, and nothing in the world, even our own other jets, can compete with it. I think I read once where in training and testing they had something like a dozen of our current fighters (F-15's I believe) flying against it, and it simulated killed all of them before any of them had it on radar.
    Wright Pat has one on display now, its in the "modern air power" hanger.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Haven't been down there for a few years SIXTO, plan on visiting sometime in June though, so I'll see it then.

Its really cool to be able to stand right next to such awesome planes as they have their, as well as see history like the Boxcar that they have there. I'm not sure sitting still does the F-22 justice though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    No, it doesnt. And your right about the historical aspects of the displays... its just awesome. I love to go there during the week, no one is there and I can just wander with no worries.
    The biggest thing I wish they would do is give more of the actual history of that particular aircraft on display.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, here is a pretty cool video of test flights with F-22's for anyone interested.

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/f22_02_movie.htm
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    You guys mention historical aspects. The plane before the F-22 was a P-51 mustang doing some acrobatics and stuff. It was very nice to see that old war horse still flying.
    The closing of the F-22 show was both the Raptor and the Mustang flying side by side. I thought it was most fitting.

Check this out

Gallery of pictures of the Show, from the Sun Sentinel
    Last edited by Miggy; May 7th, 2007 at 02:38 AM.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

That would have been awesome to see a P-51 and F-22 together. Amazing how far planes have come in 100 years.

Pensacola has the Naval Aviation museum down in Florida, not as big as WP, but still worth a visit.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    LBrombach, they just did retire the F-117. If I remember correctly the last F-117 wing closed as of the beginning of this year.
    Thanks, Obviously I didn't know that. I've always thought that it was way too expensive for its limited capabilities.

Cool story about the F-22, we were TDY to Tyndall AFB to play with them and for the first two days our jets (F-16's) kept coming down Code 2 for weapons system problems. After debriefing the pilots and viewing a couple of the tapes I pointed out that even if you can visually see them it's kind of hard to get a radar lock on a stealth jet.[/QUOTE]

LOL

I think my kids are gonna ask to visit there this summer, whether they like it or not.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Searching Google's videos for "f-22 raptor" brings up quite a few decent video clips, including the Pt. Mugu show, Ft. Lauderdale, a couple items from Lockheed, etc. Amazing maneuvering capability, for this plane.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    If you haven't seen the "new" Air & Space set up at Dulles, you should. For one, you don't have to go into DC proper (always a plus), and they have some amazing things there that they don't have anywhere else... A friggin' Space Shuttle, for instance. And an SR-71, the Enola Gay, a Joint Strike Fighter, and so on and so on. Definitely worth a trip.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links