LEOs, I need comfortable footwear for duty and running. Recommendations please.

This is a discussion on LEOs, I need comfortable footwear for duty and running. Recommendations please. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in a foot pursuit today, and afterwards, I realized that while my Magnum boots are comfortable for standing long periods of time, and ...

Thread: LEOs, I need comfortable footwear for duty and running. Recommendations please.

LEOs, I need comfortable footwear for duty and running. Recommendations please.

I was in a foot pursuit today, and afterwards, I realized that while my Magnum boots are comfortable for standing long periods of time, and walking around in, having them on while running is like running with bricks on my feet.

I was wondering what yall would recommend for comfort and support while running, that will hold up to hard wear and tear. I like having the ankle support for rough terrain, and I like the heavier feel for altercations when balance and stability are important. But I can't stand running in them. I have 2 pairs of Magnums, and while they are warm in the winter, and feel great most of the time, running is not easy in them.

Is there a boot design, or hightop style shoe that anyone would recommend for rough LE duties, that feels like a running shoe? Or somewhat close? It has to be available in black.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006

Boots

SO, may I suggest Corcoran Jump boots. I wear them daily at work. You can get them for about $149 a pair. I would suggest adding the Good Feet Arch Supports however as the boots have no arch support in them, that's another $150. I am 53 years old and am on my feet all day. They are comfortable and will last you about 10 or 12 years, at least that's what my last pair lasted me. They shine very well of course as they are what the Airborne wears in the military. I did 6 years with Spec Ops when I was in and wore them for everything including running. Being parachute jump boots they have great ankle support as well.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrator

Thumbs up I have been wearing

The OAKLEY Combat Assault boots.
    Mine are BLACK ~ But I can't find a good pic on the web of the black ones. Mine are the same as the ones shown but mine are all black.These were designed by & (now worn) by the Elite Special Forces.
    A quick review.

When I first got a pair...the first thing I said was "Oh...Cripes! ~ Made In China" & I did not think they would hold up. I was wrong about that. They are very tough. They "CLEAN UP" very well & do not skuff easily.
    Here is my quick and honest review.
    They are nice and wonderfully light with HIGH TECH Construction.
    They feel just like wearing a pair of comfy running shoes. THEY ARE VERY Comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They are extremely comfortable & padded for walking, running.
    They have a molded polymer interior sole. NICE!
    They are good to run in.
    Good ergonomically molded interior fit and great ankle support.
    No uncomfortable wear spots or seams inside.
    They are slightly slippery on wet, icy, metal ~ like manhole covers.
    Traction is good to excellent everywhere else like pavement & grass, hills, etc.
    The lacing holes do not have metal eyelet's (at first I was real upset about that) but, amazingly they never rip through or even show wear & I pull those laces TIGHT!
    I have only worn them in the entire fall & through this past winter.
    They are quite warm in winter & extremely waterproof. They DO NOT allow water in.
    I do not think that they will "wick perspiration" well enough in hot summer months. I'll soon see. My gut feeling is that they will be hot in summer.
    So far they have proved to be decently indestructible.
    I am a guy that honestly went through (WORE OUT) 3 pairs of Israeli Desert Combat boots in one year so I am TOUGH on footwear.
    Down side of the OAKLEY boots is that they are slightly expensive. Retail is about $225.00 ~ $250.00
    I got mine for half off retail so (for me) it was money well spent.
    I've beat the crap out of mine & so far I am amazed at how they have stayed in such perfect condition.
    I do 7 to 10 miles a day in mine walking & running.
    I have these (BELOW) in ALL BLACK

Last edited by QKShooter; April 3rd, 2005 at 11:14 PM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder

Reebok Black Ex-O-Fit Hi Top

The most comfortable shoe I have found in black color. My partner in Denver PD recommended them and I still wear them today, though I have been out of LE for a long time. High top, really soft all leather upper, padded sockliner, EVA midsole and abrasive rubber outsole for lightweight cushioning, traction, and durability. Extremely light and comfortable to walk stand and run in. The only thing they are not real good for is kicking someone. $59.99.
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

New Member Array hk_bladelaw_hk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    The OAKLEY Combat Assault boots.
    Mine are BLACK ~ But I can't find a good pic on the web of the black ones. Mine are the same as the ones shown but mine are all black.These were designed by & (now worn) by the Elite Special Forces.
    A quick review.

When I first got a pair...the first thing I said was "Oh...Cripes! ~ Made In China" & I did not think they would hold up. I was wrong about that. They are very tough. They "CLEAN UP" very well & do not skuff easily.
    Here is my quick and honest review.
    They are nice and wonderfully light with HIGH TECH Construction.
    They feel just like wearing a pair of comfy running shoes. THEY ARE VERY Comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They are extremely comfortable & padded for walking, running.
    They have a molded polymer interior sole. NICE!
    They are good to run in.
    Good ergonomically molded interior fit and great ankle support.
    No uncomfortable wear spots or seams inside.
    They are slightly slippery on wet, icy, metal ~ like manhole covers.
    Traction is good to excellent everywhere else like pavement & grass, hills, etc.
    The lacing holes do not have metal eyelet's (at first I was real upset about that) but, amazingly they never rip through or even show wear & I pull those laces TIGHT!
    I have only worn them in the entire fall & through this past winter.
    They are quite warm in winter & extremely waterproof. They DO NOT allow water in.
    I do not think that they will "wick perspiration" well enough in hot summer months. I'll soon see. My gut feeling is that they will be hot in summer.
    So far they have proved to be decently indestructible.
    I am a guy that honestly went through (WORE OUT) 3 pairs of Israeli Desert Combat boots in one year so I am TOUGH on footwear.
    Down side of the OAKLEY boots is that they are slightly expensive. Retail is about $225.00 ~ $250.00
    I got mine for half off retail so (for me) it was money well spent.
    I've beat the crap out of mine & so far I am amazed at how they have stayed in such perfect condition.
    I do 7 to 10 miles a day in mine walking & running.
    I have these (BELOW) in ALL BLACK

I've been hearing different stuff about the Oakley Boots, its guarenteed you can find something less expensive out there...supposedly the oakley's fall apart. I mean I work in a tactical store, i still dont know what the best out there are...I currently favor Magnum, Danner and Original Swat

Not an LEO, but I did require the same sort of performance from shoes when bouncing and doing Loss Prevention. Ended up in quite a few scuffles/foot chases. Also went through the academy, and what I found to be best were Original Swat. Very light weight and comfy. They take a nice shine and are very durable. Lots of cushion. I was 295 coming out of the academy, and after a full day running in gear, my feet were fine. Everything else was worn out, but my feet were fine.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Administrator

hk_bladelaw_hk ~~ No Argument Except For.......

No Argument Except For Your "falling Apart" Comment.
    Maybe they have quality control issues.
    I can only speak for my pair...anyway.
    So far....I've not been able to make mine fall apart.
    I really beat mine up & they have held up extremely well.
    I totally agree about the price. They are WAY DOGGONE overpriced. I paid half MSRP.
    My honest opinion is that they are going to also be WAY TOO HOT for warm weather.
    I am ready to "shelf" mine for "summer" already (and switch to a cooler boot) because the temp is in the low 70's here these days & they already feel mighty warm.
    My post was not a 100% recommendation ~ it was a personal evaluation.
    I think mine are amazingly comfortable.
    Their "wicking perspiration" feature is total BS. They get sweaty inside. I found that out the past two days.
    I actually love the way they fit my foot....too bad.
    It's too bad 'cause they could be a "killer boot" but they honestly just don't quite make it. It's very important to me that my feet not bake in a boot.
    They are quite comfortable and have a fantastic molded fit in cool/COLD weather but there are (for sure) much better boots for the money spent!
    And...ABSOLUTELY NOBODY should pay anywhere near full retail for them.
    I stand by my evaluation. Great boot...OVERPRICED...not vented enough...extremely comfortable perfect "fit"....great durability. (on mine)
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 7th, 2005 at 10:24 AM.

I have a pair of the Oakley SI boots and love them and I also picked up a pair of the Adidas GSG9 Tactical boots and love them as well. In some cases the Adidas boots can be overly tacky. I too have beaten the snot out of both of my pairs of boots and they still continue to perform admirably.

I too got mine for cost thank god cause $225 or so for a pair is just plain crazy.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Administrator

Thumbs up APachon ~ Thanks for the info.

I'm going to hafta try the Adidas GSG9 Tactical.
    I have also heard real good things about the Lowa Mountain Boot.
    (used by the German & Brit Spec Forces) (SEE PHOTO BELOW)
    They are supposed to be highly breathable.

The thing I liked best about both the Adidas and the Oakley tactical boots is that there is hardly any break in time. To me that is huge.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am shopping around a lot now. The other day I put on my boots, and there is a hump/bubble sticking up right where the ball of my foot is suppose to rest. I can't figure out what happened. I took out the insole, and there is no obvious signs of anything wrong with the boot, except that there is a hump in the middle of it. It is smooth as if put there from the factory. There is no marks on the botom of the boot, no sign of penetration. The only thing I can figure is that something punctured the bottom of the boot, and the rubber closed around it, trapping it between the sole and bottom of the boot. It is extremely uncomfortable to have this hump right where my foot needs the most relief. After just a few minutes like this, my leg, hip, and back start to hurt. It's like walking around with a big rock under your foot all day.

I must have new boots asap, and I am going to look into all of your suggestions. Thanks again.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Links