Here's an odd one

Here's an odd one

This is a discussion on Here's an odd one within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got this in an e-mail from an acquaintance. Ok so I have this guy who works for my company who is buying a rocket lancher ...

Thread: Here's an odd one

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Here's an odd one

Got this in an e-mail from an acquaintance.
    Ok so I have this guy who works for my company who is buying a rocket lancher from a friend of his who I think is in the army...some military branch. His friend said he found a rocket launcher off to the side of the depot and was willing to sell it to this guy here for $800.00. How do I report something like this?
    My response: call the BATFE.

and another:
    Jesse gave me a link to the FBI tip center and I sent in a statement to them. Should I do more or just wait? Also do I tell my employer...I'm technically the HR manager as well as the accountant.
    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by QKShooter; May 10th, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Administrator
    call Homeland Security also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

BATF

Whoever it is needs to cover themselves from any liability or association.
    Was the FBI tip line anonymous? If not then there is a record that he reported it and did the right thing, if not then I would report it again without anonymity.
    Telling your employer depends on how secret that could be kept and how necessary it is to remain employed, otherwise don't.

Tell the military, it is their stuff after all.

Administrator
    I thinks its a hell of a good deal! Does he have two?

J/K of course. I would start with the closest FBI field office, they will turn it over to the BATF or other agency if needed. I bet you will get more done quicker if you deal with the FBI.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    all of the above (except Sixto...he does not have a cover garment fo that) plus Army CID
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

You could just call your local PD, they'll do the rest. That is call ATF, FBI NCIS perhaps.

Lead Moderator
    Report it .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The guy selling the rocket launcher is committing a felony. It still belongs to the military.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Here's my take:
    If she contacts the FBI, ATF, or local LE, they should follow up and contact whoever needs contacting. If she doesn't hear back promptly, she needs to make more noise.
    If it's a functional munition, I find it very unlikely that it was just found unsecured. I was locked in camp Dobol for 2 days searching for a misplaced 30 round 5.56 magazine; we don't take this stuff lightly. If a rocket were missing, the military would know about it and be actively looking.

More likely this is a spent munition, probably used for training purposes. Even one of those would be difficult to come by (but $800 is a little much)

I'd say no to telling the employer. 1: that could interfere with any ongoing investigation and 2: it could lead to problems with employment (either with the boss for making the company look bad or the other employees for being a snitch).

Just as likely, this girl is just looking for attention (as she often has in the past). Too important to ignore though.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Well, it depend on what he means. If it's from DRMO it is probably demil-ed or a training device of some kind.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Sponsored Links