New Army uniform, bad for CC

This is a discussion on New Army uniform, bad for CC within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Story on Army.mil In uniform (when allowed) I carry my Glock 23C IWB. I may have to switch to Thunderwear with this new outfit. The ...

Thread: New Army uniform, bad for CC

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Story on Army.mil

In uniform (when allowed) I carry my Glock 23C IWB. I may have to switch to Thunderwear with this new outfit.

The new shirt has a foliage green torso and sleeves in the universal camouflage pattern, and sports seamless shoulders and side panels for comfort, along with integrated anti-abrasion elbow pads, and a small Army Strong logo centered on the chest.

The high performance shirt, designed to be a base layer, can be worn directly under the Interceptor Body Armor, according to Maj. Clay Williamson, assistant product manager for clothing and individual equipment.
    I'm not sure yet if this replaces the ACU shirt or is just supplemental.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Might be bad for CC, but really good for when you wear body armor. It would be nice if it had the ripples the old airtex shirts have.

I kinda like it. I'll be retired before I have to buy this new 'new' uniform. I wonder if they can treat the old 'new' uniform to make it fire resistant? My biggest 'non-tactical' issue with the uniform has been the display of the US flag. First it was under the combat patch, and flown backwards! Yes, I read the brief history of the flag on the uniform (recent item to the uniform, after the cav). So we wear it like that because if the calvary was charging and viewed from the right it appeared backwards. I have to ask, what about when viewed from the left side of the horse? We don't have horses in the charge anymore. Also, it's confusing enough, so to have to explain this to foreign armies, it's not only a bad idea, it's wrong. see USCode on it, ah, I'll post it for you. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...id=Cite:+4USC7 (i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall,
    the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to
    the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be
    displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of
    the observer in the street.

Dude - it's meant to be worn UNDER your armor, not to replace the blouse completely.

Lew
    The Logo looks like a nice place to aim at.....that was a great idea, NOT.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Don't like it... It looks one step closer to the Star Trek Unitard/Jump Suit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Don't like it... It looks one step closer to the Star Trek Unitard/Jump Suit.
    Depends on who is wearing it
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by subcompact9mm View Post
    I kinda like it. I'll be retired before I have to buy this new 'new' uniform. I wonder if they can treat the old 'new' uniform to make it fire resistant? My biggest 'non-tactical' issue with the uniform has been the display of the US flag. First it was under the combat patch, and flown backwards! Yes, I read the brief history of the flag on the uniform (recent item to the uniform, after the cav). So we wear it like that because if the calvary was charging and viewed from the right it appeared backwards. I have to ask, what about when viewed from the left side of the horse? We don't have horses in the charge anymore. Also, it's confusing enough, so to have to explain this to foreign armies, it's not only a bad idea, it's wrong. see USCode on it, ah, I'll post it for you. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...id=Cite:+4USC7 (i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall,
    the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to
    the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be
    displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of
    the observer in the street.
    The flag is to be displayed with the field leading, as if it were being flown from a staff. No mystery, no "wrong," (a shoulder isn't a window), no worries. I don't like it being under the unit patch, but there it is...

As for the shirt - it is only supposed to be worn under the body armor, so the logo/whatever is no big deal. Only the sleeves and a strip down the side are fire resistant, the torso part is a wicking material. The Army is also issuing a fire resistant ACU in the standard set up (blouse and trousers) in addition to this Star Trek shirt. It's not Nomex - it's a lighter, more breathable rayon fabric - but it's still heavier than the standard fabric. Only soldiers in theater are getting them, and 250,000 have been ordered. It will be up to unit commanders to issue them to the soldiers as they need them.
    Last edited by OPFOR; May 14th, 2007 at 10:03 PM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    ....agreed OPFOR.....I don't like the unit patch over the US flag either.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

the torso part is a wicking material....
    It's not Nomex - it's a lighter, more breathable rayon fabric - but it's still heavier than the standard fabric.
    Is this material similar to the material used for UnderArmor? I know that is a synthetic fiber that tends to melt when heated and resulted in all types of problems for unfortunte troops wearing it when encounterring fires. It melts like most nylon but INTO the wound and then hardens and needs to be chipped out. I would THINK this was considerred but would love to hear from someone more knowledgable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Is this material similar to the material used for UnderArmor? I know that is a synthetic fiber that tends to melt when heated and resulted in all types of problems for unfortunte troops wearing it when encounterring fires. It melts like most nylon but INTO the wound and then hardens and needs to be chipped out. I would THINK this was considerred but would love to hear from someone more knowledgable.
    No, it's not a micro-fiber like UnderArmour. I don't know what the specific material is, but it's supposed to resist melting. Both this and the full ACU in the new "fire resistant" models are only designed to give the Soldier a few more seconds before they burn - they are not as heat/flame resistant as Nomex or other purpose-built fire-retardant suits.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sponsored Links