Government X-Ray vehicle.

This is a discussion on Government X-Ray vehicle. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted to believe this was a tin foil hat story but the more I read, the more it all appears to be true. Z ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government X-Ray vehicle.

I wanted to believe this was a tin foil hat story but the more I read, the more it all appears to be true.

Z Backscatter Van Drive-By Screening System (Mobile System)

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) knows the AS&E Advantage. Multiple agencies within DHS deploy the
    Z Backscatter Van for counterterrorism applications.

A breakthrough in X-ray detection technology, AS&E's Z Backscatter Van (ZBV) is a low-cost, extremely maneuverable screening system built into a commercially available delivery van. The ZBV allows for immediate deployment in response to security threats, and its high throughput capability facilitates rapid inspections. The system's unique "drive-by" capability allows one or two operators to conduct X-ray imaging of suspect vehicles and objects while the ZBV drives past.

The ZBV can also be operated in stationary mode* by parking the system and producing X-ray images of vehicles as they pass by. Screening can also be accomplished remotely while the system is parked. Remote operation allows scanning to be done safely, even in dangerous environments, while maintaining low-profile operation. The system is unobtrusive, as it maintains the outward appearance of an ordinary van.

The ZBV employs AS&E's patented Z Backscatter technology, which reveals contraband that transmission X-rays miss - such as explosives and plastic weapons - and provides photo-like imaging for rapid analysis. The ZBV is also capable of identifying low levels of radioactivity from both gamma rays and neutrons with optional Radioactive Threat Detection (RTD) technology. The ZBV is ideal for counterterrorism applications, as it can detect dirty bombs and nuclear WMD, in addition to conventional explosives.

The ZBV also combats crimes of smuggling at ports and borders, such as trade fraud. Trade fraud is the deliberate misrepresentation of legal goods to avoid paying duties. The ZBV's photo-like imaging clearly shows whether or not the contents of a vehicle or container match the description on the manifest.

The Z Backscatter Van is used in port and border security, force protection, urban surveillance, and other critical security applications. The system is maneuverable, mobile and affordable. Simply put, the ZBV is faster, more effective, and less expensive than any mobile X-ray screening solution in the marketplace today.

The ZBV Reveals Contraband and Threats Undetected by Other Systems:

Car and truck bombs
    Explosives, plastic weapons, and other organic threats
    Radioactive threats, including nuclear devices and dirty bombs
    Illegal drugs
    Stowaways, such as illegal immigrants and terrorists
    Trade fraud items, such as alcohol, tobacco, and other legal goods smuggled to evade duties

LINK with videos.

VIP Member
    I went through a bit bigger version when I went to an Army base. They did have me exit my vehicle before they scanned it though. So obviously more powerful than this unit.

I wonder what the power level of this unit is, and what a lot of exposure to it means for people?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Moderator
    Forget the tin foil hats......

It's time for the lead underwear.

I wonder if they can x-ray your vehicle with out a warrent?

I can see the use for this in big shipping yards with containers stacked every where. You could just slowly cruise the yard checking containers as you go.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I can see a use for this after a Federal nationwide gun ban has been implemented.
    They drive by your house real slow, then enter real fast.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    To get the necessary backscatter from x-rays to view the inside of a metal vehicle is going to expose any occupants of said vehicle to a LOT of radiation, since most of the x-rays will be blocked/absorbed/deflected by the metal, both going out and coming back.

Assistant Administrator
    However low level the X-Ray emissions might be - I'd regard this as highly invasive and with health connotations.

Safe radiation is zero radiation IMO. Backscatter technique or no.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hmmm... lead foil sewn into the linings of our jackets now?

Maybe it's time to market a small, pen-sized radiation detector that beeps when it detects x-rays and keeps a dosemeter record of your exposure.

Any lawyer should be able to find out if there are federal laws, regulations or limits to the amount of radiation exposure that people can be subjected to outside of a health screening or without their permission.
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

Don't you need something BEHIND to get an image? As far as I know xray is not a relfective technology.
    -Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Forget the tin foil hats......

It's time for the lead underwear.

I wonder if they can x-ray your vehicle with out a warrent?

I can see the use for this in big shipping yards with containers stacked every where. You could just slowly cruise the yard checking containers as you go.
    It will be interesting to see it play out, if it hasn't already... SCOTUS has upheld thermal imaging of people's houses, ruling that there is no expectation of privacy on emissions, even if those emissions are invisible to the naked eye. It will be a huge legal leap to rule that things inside your home/car have no expectation of privacy if they can't be seen with the naked eye, but it's not an impossible one.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    It will be interesting to see it play out, if it hasn't already... SCOTUS has upheld thermal imaging of people's houses, ruling that there is no expectation of privacy on emissions, even if those emissions are invisible to the naked eye. It will be a huge legal leap to rule that things inside your home/car have no expectation of privacy if they can't be seen with the naked eye, but it's not an impossible one.
    Yep, but that's an emission. Your house, stuff, and maybe your wacky tobacky farm out back are all generating heat. With this technology, they're doing the generating and your "stuff" is merely reflecting. Since they're taking active steps to view your stuff... it should be covered under the 4th amendment.

However, they said the magic word - the device can be used to search for terrorists. Therefore, it's OK, period. Right? You know the sheeple will agree.

VIP Member
    Like I said, it would be a huge legal leap to justify the use of these things without a warrant. That said, a whole bunch of things that I believe are patently unconstitutional have passed before SCOTUS with nary a sideways glance before...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Its all for our "protection" from terrorists...so its OK.

Of course, todays definition of "terrorist "might be different from tomorrows version...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Don't you need something BEHIND to get an image? As far as I know xray is not a relfective technology.
    Not really. Any amount of deflected energy can be read with the right calibration. Think weak here.Gamma or Neutron radiation is the most penetrating, Id be willing to bet that its using some sort of Beta radiation which is much weaker and easier to deflect. Kindof like shining a flashlight into the dark. If its just dark, there is no reflection. If something is there, it'll reflect enough light to see.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Okay, for the sake of argument, let's try this one on for size...

SCOTUS has ruled that it is not permissible for an officer to creep up to the house and peer through a tiny opening in the curtain without substantial probable cause. However, the same officer, standing in a public place (sidewalk), using binoculars MAY peer through your window to gather evidence. This limits gov't agents from trespassing on private property without, at a minimum, probable cause, just to gather evidence. The court ruled that the officer could use image enhancing technology (i.e. binoculars) to aid in evidence gathering -- as long as the observer has a legal right to be where he can observe the evidence.

Likewise, SCOTUS has also ruled that if you have a fully-enclosed back yard (say 8-ft tall concrete wall) and grow marijuana in the enclosure, it is not illegal for officers flying over in a helicopter to observe it, nor to use cameras and/or binoculars to make a tenative identification (rows of corn or row of grass?).

Yep, but that's an emission. Your house, stuff, and maybe your wacky tobacky farm out back are all generating heat. With this technology, they're doing the generating and your "stuff" is merely reflecting. Since they're taking active steps to view your stuff... it should be covered under the 4th amendment.
    IR/FLIR and X-ray are also image enhancment technologies. In these cases they change invisible spectra into visible images. In the case of IR/FLIR images, either the materials are made visible by their own emissions (heat) or an IR source is used to illuminate them in near-total darkness.

So tell me how does an X-ray system differ from illuminating object(s) with a flashlight or IR beam so they can be identified using a compatible image-enhancer?

Do we negate the usefulness of a tool because people shamelessly build their homes without any lead screening or linings? Do we prohibit aircraft flights over cities because the police might record FLIR images wholesale? Do we require the government to obtain a court order just to switch on the equipment? Some would argue yes, but that leads to many other negative consequences.

Certainly we should not allow legislatures to prohibt the purchase and use of building materials that would counter the use of these technologies, lest we all live in glass houses. Which is rapidly becoming possible with advances in technology.

What is needed are legislated rules on the use of the devices defining for what purposes they may be used and the standard of probable cause to "invade" the walls of a building.
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

Military installations are the most likely first destination of such devices, as entrance to such facilities is consent to search...scary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links