New Hampshire Officer Shooting

This is a discussion on New Hampshire Officer Shooting within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody know anything about bulletproof vests? Here is the story: http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...8-299d170dd507 The officer was shot four times in the back and from the story it ...

Thread: New Hampshire Officer Shooting

New Hampshire Officer Shooting

Anybody know anything about bulletproof vests? Here is the story:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...8-299d170dd507

The officer was shot four times in the back and from the story it sounds like all four rounds penetrated. Are vests weaker in the rear, or was he just not wearing his vest? From what I've learned of vests, a .45 should not be able to penetrate.

The relevant section:

Kenney fired his Colt .45, as McKay walked away, hitting the officer four times in the "upper trunk", according to Ayotte. She and Strelzin both said they had not seen the complete autopsy report and do not know if the officer was shot in the back or the chest. The bullet wounds killed him, according to the autopsy, they said.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    McKay, a 12-year veteran of the Franconia Police Department, was not wearing a bullet-resistant vest.
    That oughta answer the question... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Doh! K, I feel stupid.

That was actually the 3rd or 4th article I read about the shooting, so by the time I got to that article I just skimmed the upper portion.

"Merrill said Kenney was learning the job at Agway, was good with customers and had a "good future here . . . I think it's a shame it had to happen.""

Soon to enter medical or airline school, no doubt. Why is it that half of these scumbags are "about to turn their lives around", after they murder just one more person, of course.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Info I have from an officer who worked with Cpl. McKay and was "on scene" just after all the shooting ended was that the Cpl was shot twice in the chest and twice in the head (execution style)!
    NRA Instructor

If that is true, it probably won't be released to the public.

That's a good article if that's how it all went down. Sad for the officer and his family to have to deal with.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I suspect that a lot will not be released to the public.

New info on the Perp that might be worth reading. Allegedly from the Grafton County (NH) Attorney's Office (equivalent of MA County DA). I do not have permission from the poster of this to copy it here, so I'm giving you a link to it on GlockTalk. Well worth the read. Way down towards the end, posted 5/14/07 @ 5:43PM by "phuzz01".

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=8227485
    NRA Instructor

He was a dirtbag cop killer plain and simple. Not only that, but he was a coward and shot the officer in the back. Good riddance Lilo Kenney. The gene pool is cleaner since your departure. Anyone sympathizing with this coward has mental health issues and I suspect his families ignorance was part of his problem.

LenS ... thanks for the link to the history between these 2........
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

XD, the real thanks goes to the guy on GT who posted that info. No idea who he is, but I'd guess that he works in the County Atty's office.

It read "typical" and tracks what I know from "history" in small town PDs between active officers and local troublemakers. [I worked as a Special/Reserve PO for 17 years. Since I was only PT, I didn't have the experiences, but listened to numerous stories from the FT'rs that I worked with. One Lt. I worked with told me that he bailed out a neighbor of mine's Son numerous times after arresting the kid.]
    NRA Instructor

Good Bye Lilo Kenney...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    Anybody know anything about bulletproof vests? Here is the story:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...8-299d170dd507

The officer was shot four times in the back and from the story it sounds like all four rounds penetrated. Are vests weaker in the rear, or was he just not wearing his vest? From what I've learned of vests, a .45 should not be able to penetrate.

The relevant section:
    Sounds like departements need to start issuing the new DragonSkins! Those things rock! Lighter, darn near full coverage (wrap), and stops unbelievably well! Caught an hour long blurb on them on I think the discovery channel about 3 weeks ago now I think. I forget what the show was called, but they had "Gunny(read MAILCALL)" doing tests on vests with multiple calibers. Using ONE vest (same vest used to test ALL the calibers within a few minutes of each other). Gunny hit it with 9mm handgun, mp5 in burst, something else(can't remember) and an AK(7.62x39). Almost all weapons fired he ran through full mags. Some rounds overlapping previous hits on the same vest. NOT ONE ROUND penetrated! No extra plates were needed. Vest was mounted on a dummy as is.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links