1st LEO encounter

This is a discussion on 1st LEO encounter within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I've been carrying for 4 years, and had my first LEO encounter this weekend, and it was pretty uneventfull. We were driving down south ...

Thread: 1st LEO encounter

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar

1st LEO encounter

Well I've been carrying for 4 years, and had my first LEO encounter this weekend, and it was pretty uneventfull.

We were driving down south to go to my buddies cabin for a weekend of turkey hunting and relaxation, and my girlfriends car (which has been a real PITA ever since she bought it) kept accelerating on cruise control after going up a hill. Figured it might just be the cruise control, so I told her to turn it off, nope still accelerating. So tell her to pop her into nuetral engine revs, tell her to pull over quick and turn off the engine while I hit the button for the hazards.

I get on the phone to the mechanic and step out of the car and smokey pulls up behind us, I wave to him open the hood and go about trying to see if I can unstick the throttle while talking to the mechanic. Meanwhile my GF talks to the Highway Patrolman and I assume explains the situation. After a minute or two while I was dinking around in the hood he comes over and does the "there's your problem" thing and unsticks the throttle, tells my GF to go in and press the pedal a couple times and sure enough, problem solved. I tell him "thanks alot" and he says "no problem, but do you have a permit for that weapon", At which point I realize I was probably printing like a SOB bent over the car, I say "sure do" grab my wallet and as soon as I start to pull my permit out he says "good enough for me".

I'm sure the guy clocked us speeding and that's why he was so soon on the scene, but no ticket and no hassle. In retrospect I think I was the one that could of done things a little bit better, I was frazzled and just reached back and grabbed my wallet, should have told em' what I was gonna do once he had established I was armed. And I should have got his name so I could send a thankyou letter to his department.

All in all, great encounter, and better than I would have expected.

2. Remove Ads

You can still send a thank you letter. Just state the date and time and road and they will know who was on duty that day.

good thread!

i'd still check with a mechanic soon. a frayed accel cable can get you killed or screw up your car at minimum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You can still send a thank you letter. Just state the date and time and road and they will know who was on duty that day.
    Do that. I sent an email this morning to the Florida Highway Patrol regarding the trooper that came to do the report about my Florida Chainsaw Incident () and thanking him for his profesioanlism and care. I got a reply from his superiors a while back saying that they appreciated my letter and a copy of it would go into his records which I assume it is a good thing.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I think I will go ahead and send one off, as for the accelerator. It wasn't a cable, it was the little half moon throttle cradle, and it's going to the mechanic tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    It's always good to hear these kinds of stories. This is how cops are supposed to be.

Assistant Administrator
    Nice to read

There are so many good LE folks out there - just regular guys like us ........ and for sure a ''thank you'' would I am sure go down well. Heck - the average Joe loves to complain but how often do thanks get sent ..... probably not as often.

What goes around, comes around ... and in this instance probably in a good way.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I already sent off a thankyou via the website. I totally agree with ya P95, and I think that if CC folks get the reputation for giving credit where credit is due, we may be more likely to be given a little more slack here and there.

I've found most LEOs to be very professional and helpful. When you are broke down on the road it's nice to know that they are there.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Yep the thank you will be nice. Dont go into the detail you did here about how he treated your CCW, cause you dont know what his sup is like, but a thank you letter from you will actually make him feel good, cause their few and far between.

Awsome.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Good deal, glad you sent the thank you.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Links