FATS for non-LEO?

FATS for non-LEO?

This is a discussion on FATS for non-LEO? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, I was talking to my son last night. He is former Navy security and was talking about FATS training while at Lackland. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FATS for non-LEO?

FATS for non-LEO?

Hi All,

I was talking to my son last night. He is former Navy security and was talking about FATS training while at Lackland. He mentioned how good it is -- and how much fun.

We were wondering...is this available for non-LEO?
    If so, where? We are in Florida-he's on the West Coast and I'm on the East Coast.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator
    It is fantastic training, I dont see why it wouldnt be for the "regular Joe" too. Most of the senarios are for LEO's, but that wouldnt matter to much.

I dont know where you can go to do it on a regular basis, the machines are expensive and it aint exactly arcade material.
    We have our citizens police academy do it, and sometimes tour groups that come through the PD. They are always amazed how tough it really is, and it silences the "just shoot 'em in the leg" crowd.
    So, I suggest joining your local PD's citizen police academy, and ask if FATS is available to you. I am sure one near by will do it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Scottsdale Gun Club

www.scottsdalegunclub.com

If you are a member is affordable

VIP Member
    Er... gents... The only FATS training I am aware off is offered by Jenny Craig and I don't think that is what you mean. WTH is FATS?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Er... gents... The only FATS training I am aware off is offered by Jenny Craig and I don't think that is what you mean. WTH is FATS?

http://www.fatsinc.com/LETS.php

Its a first person shooting simulator... lots of fun and good training too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I'm a Reserve Police for the little city I live in. A few weeks ago we had a FATS loaned to our PD for a couple weeks. Every officer was required to go through at least 4 hours of this training.
    MAN oh MAN! This was very extreme to me. After my time I was both "wired" and exhausted at the same time.
    If you take it seriously (which I did) I'll wear you out.
    About 98% of the scenarios I went through were LEO specific, a few were off duty senarios that could count\help for anyone CC'ing.
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I'm a Reserve Police for the little city I live in. A few weeks ago we had a FATS loaned to our PD for a couple weeks. Every officer was required to go through at least 4 hours of this training.
    MAN oh MAN! This was very extreme to me. After my time I was both "wired" and exhausted at the same time.
    If you take it seriously (which I did) I'll wear you out.
    About 98% of the scenarios I went through were LEO specific, a few were off duty senarios that could count\help for anyone CC'ing.
    It suprised the heck out of me how true this is! You wouldnt think a "video" game would affect you this way, but it does.
    It even more true if you have been in like situations in real life. It will get your heart rate up...
    "Just blame Sixto"

We have a FATS simulator at my range, Range USA. It's like $25 for an hour or 30 minutes. It's pretty fun in there.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyassazian View Post
    We have a FATS simulator at my range, Range USA. It's like $25 for an hour or 30 minutes. It's pretty fun in there.
    Your address, phone number and hours of operation please.....
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Scottsdale Gun Club

www.scottsdalegunclub.com

If you are a member is affordable
    I had no idea SGC offered all of that! Whoa! I'm not seeing the FATS system, but their facility looks like it might be worth it - period.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Fats is the hoot imho . It does have limits , but is a fantastic tool to use on training . I have not shot one since the old lazer disk days lol but i did shoot one of the first 3 to go to the " cop " market .. wasn't a lot of LE specific material back then .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    FATS is/can be a fantastic training tool. It can be set up so that you can watch your sight picture and see how your breathing, grip, trigger pull affects shot placement. Recoil can be set for all most none to much greater then actual. Not to mention the various shoot don’t shoot, ranges, building clearing etc. The better the operator the better your experience and training. You can get instant critiques on how you screwed up with out the blood. It does not take the place of actually shooting but it is a great tool. You can do a lot with it that you could never afford to do normally.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Love FATS....its awsome. BUTTTTTTTTT did ya'al know there is a cheaper version aimed at shooters in general? Check out http://www.lasershot.com/

Saw them at a trade show and the system was neat and a heck'a lot less than FATS.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

DC Founder
    The range I took my permit class at, Caswell's, in Mesa, has a video trainer that is pretty good. They gave us about 20 minutes each in it during class. Although I'm a member, I have never been through the one in Scottsdale.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    The range I took my permit class at, Caswell's, in Mesa, has a video trainer that is pretty good. They gave us about 20 minutes each in it during class. Although I'm a member, I have never been through the one in Scottsdale.....
    That was most likely FATS... Caswell is the parent company of FATS.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links