Totally unacceptable action

This is a discussion on Totally unacceptable action within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is bad, real bad. I can not believe this is happening!! He gave everything except his life and now he gets this. www.kirotv.com/news/13348716/detail.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally unacceptable action

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar

Totally unacceptable action

This is bad, real bad. I can not believe this is happening!! He gave everything except his life and now he gets this.
    www.kirotv.com/news/13348716/detail.html
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs down This Is Bad...

Hopefully, this will get the proper attention it deserves...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The government fails veterans time and time again

Perhaps enough of us can get letters through? Might not be much, but every little bit of us pushing uncle sam any way we can might help...at the very least to get it more publicity.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Does sound stupid, doesn't it?
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    And they complain that enlistment is down. HMMMM

Seeing stories like this I can't really blame our kids for not wanting to join up. It's sad that it has come to this.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

V.A. has done simular to me.I wont go into details. I have paid up and now getting my little tiny 10% check. also got a bad mark on my credit because of this. I am still very proud I served my country.

Quote Originally Posted by .45forme View Post
    V.A. has done simular to me.I wont go into details. I have paid up and now getting my little tiny 10% check. also got a bad mark on my credit because of this. I am still very proud I served my country.
    + 1, on the VA and Mil retirement in my case the only thing that helpted was the CRSC program. I wonder if he has gone that route? Ill never have full trust in the government or the a-- hol-- that we pay to run it.
    [ SIZE="3"][/SIZE] I was a Soldier; I am a Soldier; I will always be a Soldier!!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Every time I hear something like this, I begin to worry more and more about our armed forces. If I'm not mistaken, Sun-Tzu had something to say on the topic. Don't qoute me on this, but I believe it was something about the quality of the fighting force being directly porportional to the quality of it's medical care... I'm sure someone will dig it up.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

They did the same to me, AF retired me with 40%, went to VA and they upped it to 60%, it took me fighting for 7 years and finally I got 100%, but without any back pay(told me to consider myself lucky I'm 100%). And because they retired me early (16 years in) I don't qualify for concurrent receipt, because you have to have the minimum of 20 years in. BOHICA was my motto. Now I plan on F---ing them over, by living forever.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Wounded Iraq Vet Pays Price Again
    Essex Porter
    KIRO 7 Eyewitness News

POSTED: 1:35 pm PDT May 18, 2007
    UPDATED: 4:06 pm PDT May 18, 2007

EAST WENATCHEE, Wash. -- A Washington state Marine pays the price in Iraq.

His war wounds forced him from the service, so why does the military want him to pay back thousands of dollars?

Fred Ball still has the piece of shrapnel that could have killed him.

"This is the actual main piece that was lodged in my right temple," Ball said.

The Marine sergeant was wounded in April 2004 in the battle of Fallujah -- his Humvee destroyed, his body battered.

"Shoulder injury, my shoulder can only raise so far," he said.

Brain injury, too.

"I have these dizzy spells and my eyes go really blurry and they cut out for a second and then come right back," he said.

Now home in East Wenatchee, Fred Ball is safe from insurgent attacks, but he's still fighting a battle for survival.

It's a battle that now includes his wife and 4-month-old son.

"Even though he got hurt, but he's not the only one who's going to deal with it, we are the ones who (are) going to deal with it and especially he's the one who's going to deal with it," said Hilda Ball, Fred's wife.

Two years after Fallujah, the Marine Corps discharged Fred Ball. A medical board placed his disability rating at 10 percent.

"When they separated me, they gave me 10 percent and they made number one, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and they subcategorized and they didn't rate me for the physical injuries," said Ball.

That 10 percent rating keeps Ball from qualifying for a lifetime pension and health benefits.

Instead, he got a $40,000 severance check from the Marines -- less than a year's worth of his sergeant's pay.

But because he now gets benefits from the Veterans Administration, the law requires that he pay his severance check back.

"They way they figure out the math, it's going to take around three years for me to pay this off."

Each month, the Veterans Administration withholds 80 percent of his disability check -- paying him just barely $300 to take care of his family.

That's why -- despite his injuries -- Ball works 16-hour days at a packing crate factory to pay the bills.

Lou Barrier served 30 years as a Navy medic in Korea and Vietnam. Now he's a volunteer veterans advocate helping Ball appeal his case.

"No, we shouldn't be asking for that money back. I mean they're offering $25,000 enlistment bonuses now," Barrier said.

With thousands in similar situations, Sen. Patty Murray has questions for the Pentagon.

"Of those soldiers that I have talked to, many believe they have been deliberately low-balled when it comes to their disability rating in order to save money," Murray said.

"There is absolutely no incentive in this department to save money on the backs of disabled people, people who've served our country," said Gordon England, Deputy Secretary of Defense.

Fred Ball hopes his country will be there for him.

"We don't care what happens to us, just don't treat us like we're nothing and sweep us underneath the carpet."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Ladies and Gentlemen....you can thank your elected Representatives and Senators for this. The American Legion and VFW has been fighting this for years. This sergeant's story is only one of 100s of thousands over the last 50 years....another form of "we're from the government, we're here to help"

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen....you can thank your elected Representatives and Senators for this. The American Legion and VFW has been fighting this for years. This sergeant's story is only one of 100s of thousands over the last 50 years....another form of "we're from the government, we're here to help"
    I fixed it for you.

"we're from the government, we're here to help ourselves"

This stinks!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

As a disabled vet, i follow this stuff very carefully. i can tell you that this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are tens of thousands of cases like this out there. During the Viet Nam war a soldier who lost a leg below the knee was rated 50-70 percent disabled. Now they want to give soldiers 10-20 percent for the same wound. David Chu, Pentagon panjandrum of personnel and readiness is at the bottom of this. Chu routinely whines about military retirement and veterans' benefits 'inhibiting the military's ability to fight.'

""The amounts have gotten to the point where they are hurtful. They are taking away from the nation's ability to defend itself," says David Chu, the Pentagon's undersecretary for personnel and readiness."

"Rising veterans' benefits are a big factor behind the billions of dollars in weapons cuts to be proposed when President Bush unveils next year's budget blueprint early next month. New retiree entitlements also are crimping the Pentagon's ability to increase incentives for enlistment at a time of dangerous, yearlong Iraq deployments."

http://webreprints.djreprints.com/1156160669825.html

Every time i read this trash i wanna puke.

I sometimes to to the VA hospital in OK City for treatment. Disabled vets routinely have to wait 2-3 hours to get their blood drawn. The place is a sewer.

There is a message here to politicians. If you cannot afford to compensate folks who are sickened and maimed in your war then do not have your war.

Congressman Chet Edwards said it better than i can:

"Cong. Chet Edwards (D-Tex), gave a blistering floor speech on David Chu's comments:"

"Maybe before we start blaming military widows for undermining our Nation's security, maybe before Dr. Chu starts criticizing veterans and military retirees who risked their lives in Vietnam and Iraq, Korea, Iwo Jima and Normandy, maybe they should look at their own policies that have provided tax breaks for Members of Congress, tax breaks for people making over $1 million a year that, in my opinion, make a farce out of the quintessential American value and principle of shared sacrifice during a time of war."
    Last edited by Sig 210; May 23rd, 2007 at 10:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links