UK Eye in the Sky

This is a discussion on UK Eye in the Sky within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Story Here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1821346.ece All that is wrong with 'The Age of the Wimp': "what issue should any law abiding, reasonably minded citizen have with being ...

Thread: UK Eye in the Sky

UK Eye in the Sky

Story Here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1821346.ece

All that is wrong with 'The Age of the Wimp':
    "what issue should any law abiding, reasonably minded citizen have with being observed by the drone. If you are not breaking the law, why should you hide;"

Thats from the comments, not the actual article, thankfully. I'm not sure where to start with my objections to that...

AE

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Would not want to fly one around here during Goose season...

Let's see, it takes a human to fly one of these things and I would imagine that's a 1:1 relationship. Wouldn't it be better to put a real cop on the street instead where they might actually prevent/stop a crime? This would almost seem like a bean counter thing...they think they can do more with less.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Orwell… I guess we should have expected something like this.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

"Let's see, it takes a human to fly one of these things and I would imagine that's a 1:1 relationship"

I'd say so. It probably has an auto pilot, but some one has to watch the camera. Never mind the price to buy the thing, and maintain it.

Thats probably several cop/years of salary right there.

AE

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticelf View Post
    Story Here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1821346.ece

All that is wrong with 'The Age of the Wimp':
    "what issue should any law abiding, reasonably minded citizen have with being observed by the drone. If you are not breaking the law, why should you hide;"

Thats from the comments, not the actual article, thankfully. I'm not sure where to start with my objections to that...

AE

How about, because the government should be in the business of SERVING the citizens, not keeping watch on them like a jailer.

I know it's oxymoronic, but I feel that people who want to sell out our freedom to Big Brother, who argue in favor of Big Brother, should themselves be rounded up and eliminated, so that the SENTIMENT of giving up our freedom is eliminated from among the population. It's like weeding out traitors.

It's closer to home than you think, there was a story on the news a a couple of weeks ago about how Central Florida PDs will be using drones. "They'll give police a detailed view of the crime scene before they actually get there," was one of the justifications for employing the drones.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

hope they're buckshot proof
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    How about, because the government should be in the business of SERVING the citizens, not keeping watch on them like a jailer.

I know it's oxymoronic, but I feel that people who want to sell out our freedom to Big Brother, who argue in favor of Big Brother, should themselves be rounded up and eliminated, so that the SENTIMENT of giving up our freedom is eliminated from among the population. It's like weeding out traitors.
    I've had the same thought for quite a while now.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

To be fair the complete context of that quote result in a completely opposite tone as implied and are in fact on target.

While I agree wholeheartedly with the privacy argument, it is not strong enough to resist the encroachment of your freedoms by the tools of surveilence. But think about this. For now, all you need to be concerned about is that you are not breaking the law. As long as you are not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to hide. That is because most of us can and do live within the laws of the land without protest. But what happens when the laws of the land become intolerable? What happens when peaceful protest becomes illegal in the name of national security. What happens when dissent becomes illegal in the name of nationalism. It has happened before and we are niave to think it won't happen again, especially in a world so paralyzed with fear that we are willing to give up our most basic freedoms in the name of safety. Well once those activities have become illegal, the tools to enforce them will already be in place, and we will ask, "How did this happen"?

on the loose, liverpool, england
    The person sounds like a student of history, and an American.

Speaking of Americans agents of our own govt. have similar same in play with GlobalHawk drones currently doing work over our own shores and devices just like this are under development toward same application for law enforcement. The Brits are first out the gate but we aren't far behind.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

And what good will it do?? You'll still be deader than last week's fish if you can't protect yourself. Maybe your killer would have to get a better lawyer, but that probably won't make your widow feel any better.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    To be fair the complete context of that quote result in a completely opposite tone as implied and are in fact on target.

The person sounds like a student of history, and an American.

- Janq
    Janq, You are quite right, and the quotation you reference was not the same one I was pointing too. Apparently that board only shows the last few comments on top.

AE

Senior Moderator
    Nothing there that a .50 BMG couldnt take out...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I grew up in Baltimore City. Which as I understand it, the most video recorded city in the USA.
    I mean there are police camera on almost ever corner!

Did it decrease crime? NO! Baltimore is still a war zone and has a murder rate 6 times that of New York city.

Camera's and watching the public is 1984 in action. Pretty sick that this country and others who claim to be "free nations" can do that.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Links