Defensive Carry banner

Non "California-Legal" firearms in California: Can they be stored in an armory?

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  jualdeaux 
#1 ·
Non "California-Legal" firearms in California: Can they be stored in an armory?

If one were to move to California, could a dependent store my firearms in an armory? What about a significant other, could they store their firearms on the service members base while living together? This would be an Air Force base, in case it matters.

I know they could always be left with family and friends or in storage...but I'm just asking.

#3 ·
Bringing in firearms into Cali that is not state approved is no problem. You'll just have guns that all the other state residents wished they had, and you could sell used thru a state registered FFL holder and make a heckuva profit because that same firearm NEW cannot be sold in that state because of non-compliance to that silly drop test.
rest easy....and enjoy your stay. Been there, done that.

#4 ·
I would amend that to say that you can bring in firearms that are not on the approved for sale list as long as they don't break one of the many law on what is legal. For example, no magazines over 10 rounds, no rifles that have a forward vertical grip, no rifles that can accept magazines over 10 rounds, etc.

#9 ·
again...yes you can. Just don't store the over 10 round capacity mags
and un-friendly california assult weapons there.

#10 ·
That's what I'm asking, though. Since the base is federal property, can I store firearms that California would deem illegal (my 15 round magazines for my 92, and my AR-15 and 30 round magazines for it) in the armory for the duration of my stay? And who would be limited to doing so, only the active duty member? What about dependents or significant others?

I have been attempting to contact the base armory, just an FYI, but thus far can't get anybody on the phone. I will continue my efforts and let you know.

#11 ·
the laws are so iffy...I wouldn't trust them. Plus...thats all you'd need for some rogue cop to claim yours illegal and confiscate them only to claim to have them destroyed and to keep them for personal use.
Good luck....

#15 ·
When registering weapons on base, as long as your military member doesn't mind registering under their name, you can get your weapons stored in the armory. According to the registration office, large capacity mags aren't allowed in Cali so they don't want them in the armory. The other interesting thing I heard was that apparently SF likes to play with the weapons...obviously not shoot them, but ya know how it is. Hopefully that answers most of your questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.