Non "California-Legal" firearms in California: Can they be stored in an armory?

This is a discussion on Non "California-Legal" firearms in California: Can they be stored in an armory? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If one were to move to California, could a dependent store my firearms in an armory? What about a significant other, could they store their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non "California-Legal" firearms in California: Can they be stored in an armory?

Non "California-Legal" firearms in California: Can they be stored in an armory?

If one were to move to California, could a dependent store my firearms in an armory? What about a significant other, could they store their firearms on the service members base while living together? This would be an Air Force base, in case it matters.

I know they could always be left with family and friends or in storage...but I'm just asking.

2. Remove Ads

I'd call the base armory to where you are moving. I doubt that they would have an issue, since they are federal property. Transporting there legally, however, I have no clue about.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Bringing in firearms into Cali that is not state approved is no problem. You'll just have guns that all the other state residents wished they had, and you could sell used thru a state registered FFL holder and make a heckuva profit because that same firearm NEW cannot be sold in that state because of non-compliance to that silly drop test.
    rest easy....and enjoy your stay. Been there, done that.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Bringing in firearms into Cali that is not state approved is no problem. You'll just have guns that all the other state residents wished they had, and you could sell used thru a state registered FFL holder and make a heckuva profit because that same firearm NEW cannot be sold in that state because of non-compliance to that silly drop test.
    rest easy....and enjoy your stay. Been there, done that.
    I would amend that to say that you can bring in firearms that are not on the approved for sale list as long as they don't break one of the many law on what is legal. For example, no magazines over 10 rounds, no rifles that have a forward vertical grip, no rifles that can accept magazines over 10 rounds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I would amend that to say that you can bring in firearms that are not on the approved for sale list as long as they don't break one of the many law on what is legal. For example, no magazines over 10 rounds, no rifles that have a forward vertical grip, no rifles that can accept magazines over 10 rounds, etc.

Which is why I'm asking if they can be kept on base, since they are handguns with more then 10 round magazines, and rifles that can accept magazines over 10 rounds.

Well if you move to California and have to leave your guns here in Washington, I will take good care of them and be sure they are shot frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Well if you move to California and have to leave your guns here in Washington, I will take good care of them and be sure they are shot frequently.
    Haha, you're not the first to offer!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy5 View Post
    Which is why I'm asking if they can be kept on base, since they are handguns with more then 10 round magazines, and rifles that can accept magazines over 10 rounds.

Check with the SP's on base. I stored my handguns at the base armory on several occasions when I was on active duty.

again...yes you can. Just don't store the over 10 round capacity mags
    and un-friendly california assult weapons there.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    again...yes you can. Just don't store the over 10 round capacity mags
    and un-friendly california assult weapons there.
    That's what I'm asking, though. Since the base is federal property, can I store firearms that California would deem illegal (my 15 round magazines for my 92, and my AR-15 and 30 round magazines for it) in the armory for the duration of my stay? And who would be limited to doing so, only the active duty member? What about dependents or significant others?

I have been attempting to contact the base armory, just an FYI, but thus far can't get anybody on the phone. I will continue my efforts and let you know.

the laws are so iffy...I wouldn't trust them. Plus...thats all you'd need for some rogue cop to claim yours illegal and confiscate them only to claim to have them destroyed and to keep them for personal use.
    Good luck....

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy5 View Post
    That's what I'm asking, though. Since the base is federal property, can I store firearms that California would deem illegal (my 15 round magazines for my 92, and my AR-15 and 30 round magazines for it) in the armory for the duration of my stay? And who would be limited to doing so, only the active duty member? What about dependents or significant others?

I have been attempting to contact the base armory, just an FYI, but thus far can't get anybody on the phone. I will continue my efforts and let you know.
    One question. How would you get those "non California legal" guns to the base to store them without going through California where they are illegal?

The only way I can see is if you manage to achieve the impossible and get the military to fly them directly into the base from out of state.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    If the base accepts them for storage, can you get it in writing and then take them directly there, that might show that you have intent to respect the law and cover yourself.

Update: After contacting the Armory, it seems that it may be possible, requiring a few forms from the DOJ, and the commanders approval. It may require a PCS order to get them out, however.

When registering weapons on base, as long as your military member doesn't mind registering under their name, you can get your weapons stored in the armory. According to the registration office, large capacity mags aren't allowed in Cali so they don't want them in the armory. The other interesting thing I heard was that apparently SF likes to play with the weapons...obviously not shoot them, but ya know how it is. Hopefully that answers most of your questions.
    Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
    ~George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links