Lawsuit: Katrina Pets Executed

This is a discussion on Lawsuit: Katrina Pets Executed within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just found this one and I know it's from last month but I have to chime in here. My little brother was deployed with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawsuit: Katrina Pets Executed

Just found this one and I know it's from last month but I have to chime in here.

My little brother was deployed with the 82nd Airborne to Luoisianna after katrina. My brother has been an animal lover all his life, grew up watching wild america and love the croc hunter. I have no doubt that he could take a mans life without too much second thought. After he got back on leave he talked about the devistation. When asked what the hardest thing was, he replied, "Shooting the dogs" Because of the health issues, dogs that were roaming were to be put down. With the sewage floating everywhere and bodies of both animals and people all over, disease was a huge issue. Also they wanted to stop human remains from being consumed so that they could identify the victims. It's pretty hard to do when all the good parts have been chewed off.

I don't agree with people being forced to leave their animals.
    I don't agree with people being forced to leave at all.
    I don't agree with pets being killed as in the original example.

I do agree that after the storm came through that they needed to controll the possible spread of disease.

my short take.

thanks as always
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

2. Remove Ads

More dead animal bodies does not stop or stem the spread of disease, it adds to it. All bodies must be disposed of properly, preferably burned, in situations like this.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Senior Moderator
    In an evacuation the animals must stay behind.

If you have the means and the ability to get the heck out of dodge when the need arises, take your animals and be responsible for them.

Otherwise, don't expect to take your animals with you and expect that you can provide for them when you cant even provide for yourself.

Imagine every manner of dog,cat,snake,monkey, pet rat or whatever all together in close proximity, say in a large tent that was set up for temporary shelter. Animals that are in an unfamiliar area with stress everywhere. Now image the waste products and the pandemonium that would result when these animals are all together.

It only makes sense to leave them.

Anyone that lives in the country knows what even tame dogs left along to "pack" up can do to livestock in the area. Now, compound that by mass devastation and carcasses of all type out in the open.

Simply put...it becomes tactically nessecary to shoot all roaming animals, or disease will spread unchecked.

Some of you people are talking with your hearts and not your heads here.
    I too own cats and dogs and love them dearly. In a SHTF scenario, such as New Orleans in a hurricane, your very survival can be determined by how you prioritize certain things. Unless you live out in the boondocks ad can provide for them, animals have NO place in public shelters.

It may be a sad thing to leave Fido at the house, but that is where he needs to stay...unless you have a better evacuation plan than most people.

More dead animal bodies does not stop or stem the spread of disease, it adds to it.
    Wrong. A dead animal is a threat right there. If another animal such as a RAT eats it and contracts a disease that it takes back to the nest, the rest of those animals will get the disease.
    Look at what rats did to Europe in the dark ages.

All bodies must be disposed of properly, preferably burned, in situations like this.
    As for burning carcasses, that should be done. How many carcasses got burned during and after the Katrina crisis ? I dare say none.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links