Lawsuit: Katrina Pets Executed

This is a discussion on Lawsuit: Katrina Pets Executed within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As reported by ABCNews: Lawsuit: Katrina Pets Executed Investigations, Two Criminal Indictments and a Lawsuit Put the Heat on St. Bernard Parish's Sheriff's Office This ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit: Katrina Pets Executed

As reported by ABCNews:

Investigations, Two Criminal Indictments and a Lawsuit Put the Heat on St. Bernard Parish's Sheriff's Office

This white poodle, Gigi, was among the dogs allegedly killed by authorities after their owners were forcibly evacuated during Hurricane Katrina. A lawsuit says an animal rescue worker found Gigi shot in the head.

By JIM AVILA, ELIZABETH TRIBOLET and CHRIS FRANCESCANI
    ABC News Law & Justice Unit
    June 11, 2007

For nearly two years, pet owners from the low-lying Louisiana parish of St. Bernard have accused sheriff's deputies of having wantonly killed dozens of dogs they forced evacuees to leave behind during Hurricane Katrina in 2005, without regard to the dogs' size or the potential threat they might pose.

One owner said her family was forced at gunpoint to leave its dog behind. Another owner said residents became frantic when, they said, they overheard one deputy claim that "once everybody's gone, we're going to have target practice tonight." They claim in court papers that deputies were under orders to shoot every dog they found.

Two deputies have already been indicted by a grand jury in New Orleans on charges of felony, aggravated cruelty to animals. The Louisiana attorney general's office is investigating and this morning lawyers for a group of owners will file a comprehensive complaint in federal court in Louisiana seeking class action status for their clients.

For the first time, the St. Bernard Parish sheriff's office has acknowledged to ABC News' Law & Justice Unit that an internal investigation has been launched.

In an interview last week, Sal Gutierrez, who represents the sheriff's office, defended the department's handling of a clearly difficult evacuation. Gutierrez said the shells left behind in the schools did not necessarily come from the weapons issued to department deputies. He denied allegations that orders to kill the dogs came from superior officers, calling that claim "false." He said that if the investigation turned up any wrongdoing by deputies, the St. Bernard sheriff would take appropriate disciplinary action. If something false has been alleged in the lawsuit, he said he would consider countercharges of defamation of character. He said that he and the sheriff were animal lovers.

In December, the sheriff's office released a statement declaring that any actions taken had been done with "the utmost care, caution and belief of its necessity," according to the newspaper New Orleans City Business.

But Gutierrez told ABC News that until the internal investigation was complete, he could not adequately answer all the charges. "I can't tell you we don't have a renegade or two," Gutierrez told ABC News.

"If you're talking about a rabid dog roaming the streets trying to attack, that's understandable to try and find and euthanize a dog," said plaintiff attorney Randall Smith. But, he said later, "some of them were poodles, miniature dogs, tied up, most outrageous[ly] in schools, no way a threat to anybody."

One of the key pieces of evidence in the civil case is expected to be video footage shot by Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer David Leeson Jr., who said he witnessed dogs being shot while filming in the area after Katrina for the Dallas Morning News...

The story can be found at; http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3265151&page=1

- Janq

Lesson Learned: During a major and extended civil emergency one as an individual cannot depend on law or lawfulness, not even at times from law enforcement. This is not a bash toward law enforcement as a profession.
    Citizens need to keep on hand enough food, water, and meds for yourself as well as any animals/pets you might have. As well have some means to safely house and/or transport them in place as well...or otherwise you take your chances. :\
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    So rather than stop looters and thugs they were hunting Fifi?

Talk about screwed up priorities.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    So rather than stop looters and thugs they were hunting Fifi?
    Or looting WalMart....
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    If the dog was shot, it must have been the police. Nobody else was allowed to have a gun.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

It shouldnt have been the governments responsibility to take care of fifi. Why did the owners not evacuate when warned to? More waste of taxpayer money.

Chevy,

Thats not the point.

The animals were often in peoples personal residences or even restrained prevented from escaping into the streets and a danger to no one. Some were even provided with food and fresh water access.
    meanwhile you've got officers threatening people,manhandling them, placing firearms in their faces, and making comments of having a "shooting gallery" upon removal of residences from view.

Read the article in fulll as all your questions are answered and then some.
    The activity and actions of the few LEO involved here were completely ridiculous and unlawful.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It shouldnt have been the governments responsibility to take care of fifi. Why did the owners not evacuate when warned to? More waste of taxpayer money.
    My guess is quite a few of these animal's owners did evacuate. The government didn't let anyone bring pets into shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Chevy,

Thats not the point.

The animals were often in peoples personal residences or even restrained prevented from escaping into the streets and a danger to no one. Some were even provided with food and fresh water access.
    meanwhile you've got officers threatening people,manhandling them, placing firearms in their faces, and making comments of having a "shooting gallery" upon removal of residences from view.

Read the article in fulll as all your questions are answered and then some.
    The activity and actions of the few LEO involved here were completely ridiculous and unlawful.

- Janq
    I read the articles and I reserved comment on the law enforcement practices during that disaster because I am so disgusted by it that I really cant put it into words.

My point is that I own animals and I have a plan to get them out of my area and cared for in case of a disaster. It is YOUR responsibility to take care of YOUR animals.

If you want my opinions on some law enforcement officials in this country then I have to decline comment for fear of getting banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    My guess is quite a few of these animal's owners did evacuate. The government didn't let anyone bring pets into shelters.
    Issue #1: Relying on shelters. If you have animals you have responsibility. You cannot treat them like posessions and should have an adequate plan to care for them in a disaster. If you cannot, then do not have animals.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Issue #1: Relying on shelters. If you have animals you have responsibility. You cannot treat them like posessions and should have an adequate plan to care for them in a disaster. If you cannot, then do not have animals.
    I'm sure that most of these owners planned to take their pets with them when they evacuated. It's hardly their fault that the government was unreasonable about it.

Yeah agreed 100% Chevy...it's on the owner to care for and get their own animals/pets to some safe zone.
    Sadly alot of folks were turned around upon trying to depart on their own or told to go to the Astrodome which themselves would not accept or allow pets. :(

The whole thing was a major screw-up...
    This story just adds another layer to the shame of it all. :(

- Janq

NOPD=the most corrupt PD in the country...lots of bad stuff happens there...

OMO...YMV

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't say this doesn't surprise me since the Katrina fiasco was a 100% total disaster from the local level.

I still don't see how the government can force someone to leave their home. It seems completely unAmerican, whatever the dumb justified legal reason.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Scum with badges!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Sorry, I'm one of those cold reality types. Ok, so some pets got whacked. How many drowned, were stolen, got killed from exposure or debris................I see it as population control. Imagine packs of dogs scavenging for food with only you in the way. Since the Police took your firearms, you're defenseless........then what? A desperate animal is still a desperate animal regardless of if it's FeeFee or the rabit Mastiff, especially if they're rabid.

Bah,............should've gotten the goldfish from Walmart, at least they could fry it up for a snack. I know there's circumstances, but when tragedy strikes, all sorts of things happen including lawlessness. That's why this guy carries his concealed firearm to protect my family's life and property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links