Montana HP Trooper Battles Rattlesnakes

This is a discussion on Montana HP Trooper Battles Rattlesnakes within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is kinda long, so I'll just post the link. It's kinda funny in a macabre sort of way. Sounds like a plot for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana HP Trooper Battles Rattlesnakes

1943 - 2009

Montana HP Trooper Battles Rattlesnakes

This is kinda long, so I'll just post the link. It's kinda funny in a macabre sort of way. Sounds like a plot for a horror movie.

Man, I HATE snakes!

http://www.helenair.com/articles/200...4061007_05.txt

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Snakes on a Highway

I can see Samuel L. Jackson now...
    "WE'VE GOTTA GET THESE ______ SNAKES OFF THIS_____HIGHWAY!!!!!"

VIP Member
    He heard a hissing sound, looked down and saw a rattlesnake making a lunge for his leg.

Wisniewski, 40, jumped back, dodging that strike, but landed on another snake. That rattler, and another one right next to it, both struck at Wisniewski’s left leg. One hit his boot and the other struck flesh just above the boot.
    I've always thought that there really are only two kinds of snakes:

.................................................. ...........s

...S

It all depends on how close they are when you first spot 'em...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I've been attacked by a poisonous snake, it was in Israel when I was a kid, I didn't know any better and tried to catch a skinny little snake that was in the melon patch I was working in. I knew to grab them at the base of the skull, I was too slow and it turned and bit my hand. Luckily I was wearing work gloves and it caught the glove not my hand. I shook it off and killed it with a rock. When I showed the farmer the dead snake he went pale, looked me in the eye and said that if it had got me I would've lived just 15 minutes. We were in the middle of the Negev desert, nearest hospital was an hour away.

That was the last time I played with snakes.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    "Well, a guys gotta have memories, ya know?"

Talk about huge cajones! hahaha Man I love that. Glad he's okay.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I would give rattlesnakes a wide passing...don't like poisonous snakes. Have only come across one since moving to FL...a Coral snake...he went 'bye-bye'...

Sounds like this Trooper was lucky...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a couple of near-bite and "skeered" stories of rattlers. One involves a 3X3X6 foot cage and about 20 coon tail rattlers (brrrr, still makes my blood run cold). At any rate, at the risk of offending all you snake fans, ALL snakes, and I do mean ALL snakes are poisonous. The only way to see if they are the supposed "non-poisonous" kinds are to kill them. Then, they are just poisonous and dead, who cares that they were ever anything else. I'm with Indy Jones on this one, I hate snakes.
    What Would Gumby Do?

A poisinous snake is like a loaded gun, If you respect it, and handle it properly it won't bite you. SA is necessary when in snake country, The officer was in condition white, and his main problem and the reason he got bit was his startle responce that made him threaten the snakes who responded by their nature. If a prowler came barging through your bedroom you would act as well.

Senior Moderator
    Reminds me of a former Arkansas State Trooper that is my neighbor.
    He stopped a woman for speeding on the highway and was standing at her door when a 6 foot long snake when slithering right over his boot. Being deathly afraid of snakes, he emptied his .357 into it right there while he was standing at the door.

It scared the woman so badly that she peed all over herself and lodger a formal complaint with the Director of the ASP.

He got called up on the carpet and had to officially apologize to the woman. He also told the Director if he had to do it all over again he would.

He is retired now, but he still gets alot of ribbing about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When I was a kid I lived with family in India for a while. While I was there a snake charmer's cobra nearly bit me. Since then I've been terrified of snakes and fully believe the only good snake is a dead snake.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

1943 - 2009
    The officer was in condition white
    I realize people think we're country bumpkins back here, but MHP Troopers do not go around in condition white.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

i....H A T E snakes......

My wife tries to convince me there are some poisonous and non-poisonious snakes and tries to tell me the difference

I could care less--if I'm that close, I'm already SOL and depending on the environment, it's gettin' shot.

The only "good" snake is a DEAD snake.

Yeah--I'll scream like a girl too....

I H A T E snakes...

Give me crazy Muslim fundamentalist anyday...

I H A T E snakes

From the article the officer was intent on getting his photo, not paying attention to where he was walking. He may not of been in condition white as to people around him, but he was in condition white as to the snakes. Anyone who spends a lot of time in snake country knows to watch where you put your feet. It is real easy to become to focused on what you are doing and forget your SA where nature is concerned.

Lew
    When I was 15 I was using the weed wacker to trim my parents lawn as a part of my chores. I was next to the shoulder high shrubbs and heard some thing move, I turned my head and a snake was 3 inches from my nose. I became most ungallant at this point and desimated the hedge with the weed wacker. He got away, with me in chase. It was at this point my father, looking out the window, sees me running across the lawn with a weed wacker at full throttle, ripping chunks out of the pristine grass that I had just mowed. He came out and found me at the mouth of the snake's lair. He asked me what on earth I was doing, (the weed wacker still screaming as I tried, unsuccessfully to bury it in the hole). He calmly made me shut off the weed wacker and berated me for improper use of the tool. At which point he pulled out a chain saw and said "THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT." I did not know that a chain saw could dig so well. I do now. When the carnage was all done, dad says to me, "Don't you dare tell your mother..."

Oh PS, Mom "Don't read this"....
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Then there's the probably apocryphal tale of the ROTC Kaydet at Ft. Riley. Crossing a stream on the orienteering course, he thought he was bit by a snake. Panic set in, he put on a tourniquet, cut the "wound" open and soon went into shock. As it turns out, he had only been "stick bit". SOP from then on was, if you are threatened by a poisonous stick, beat it to death with a snake.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links