Dept. That Can't Shoot Straight..Documents Show Officers Struggle To Hit Live Targets

This is a discussion on Dept. That Can't Shoot Straight..Documents Show Officers Struggle To Hit Live Targets within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not that I don't feel police need the opportunity to practice more. But is this article a surprise to ANYBODY? Remeber, it was NY where ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dept. That Can't Shoot Straight..Documents Show Officers Struggle To Hit Live Targets

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Not that I don't feel police need the opportunity to practice more. But is this article a surprise to ANYBODY? Remeber, it was NY where they shot that guy the night before his wedding...over 50 rounds and only a couple of hits.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    All the other posts in here are hitting the nail perfectly. Especially CopperKnights. +1 to CK.

Other points to consider are these: NYPD LEO's are no more avid shooters than they are professional drivers. Yeah, that's part of their job and they get training for it, but it doesn't mean they're going to head off to Skip Barber Racing School or Thunder Ranch. They've got their own interests which probably stray far from those of work. One of my buddies who works for the Sheriff's Office never liked shooting because it was always work-related. He went out with some buddies and I and had an ABSOLUTE blast destroying old pumpkins and soda cans. Ever seen a grown man giggle? He did when he put a 12ga slug into a shaken coke can. What sucks is that I can see many LEO's having similar ideas about shooting: "GROOAAAAN - Work-related.." They don't have the bug and I can't say I blame them.

The best thing we can do is make sure police departments are getting the funding they need.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    The best thing we can do is make sure police departments are getting the funding they need.
    The best thing we can do is make sure that police Dept's. are getting the funding they need and the ability to put that funding where it will give officers the best bang for the buck.

For instance, if a dept. got all new equipment and outfitted their officers with it, but didn't give any training, the new equipment would do little good. Any not just any training, but the proper training.

I got into a discussion here with the local police chief about some new equipment that they were getting due to a Federal Grant that they received. While I'll admit that thats a good thing, if they dont have the training to use that equipment to its maximum potential then its not worth much in the big scheme of things.

Police Dept's. all over the country are finally seeing the light though. What used to be considered adequate training that consisted of qualifying at the range using a B27 target and firing at 25 yards is'nt seen in the same way that is used to be.

Around here, we've gotten away from that and the training is more valid for real world scenarios than it used to be. We are shooting on the move, firing from vehicles, from behind cover and barricades, doing tactical reloads,using rifle and shotgun much more and doing different scenarios every time we qualify. Add to that the Simuniton and active shooter scenes and we are much better off than we used to be.

The old standard only proved that you could hit a target that was standing still and not shooting back at you. Training with Simuntions puts a whole different focus on it.

The biggest thing that I see is attitude of the officer. Even with all the latest whizzbangs and the best training he/she could get, it would have little effect if the attitude weren't right. Unfortunately, the attitude of the higher ups that run the places will trickle down to the patrol officers. If the higher ups dont see the need for better training,equipment or tactics, then many of the line officers wont see the need for it either.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    They know paper tgts cannot hurt them.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Cops use their cars, ink pens and handcuffs how many times a day, compared to how many times in a career they have to shoot someone?

Just like any job, they don't think marksmanship is important, or that they'll do OK in a pinch because they are the good guys. Works in the movies!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links