Don't Ever Mess With Ex Marines !

This is a discussion on Don't Ever Mess With Ex Marines ! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Father Kills 300-Pound Bear With Log AP Posted: 2007-06-22 21:19:43 HELEN, Ga. (June 22) - A 300-pound black bear raided a family's campsite, and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Ever Mess With Ex Marines !

Administrator

Thumbs up Don't Ever Mess With Ex Marines !

Father Kills 300-Pound Bear With Log
    AP
    Posted: 2007-06-22 21:19:43
    HELEN, Ga. (June 22)
    - A 300-pound black bear raided a family's campsite, and the father saved his sons from harm by throwing a log at the beast, killing it with a single blow.

Chris Everhart and his three sons were camping in the Chattahoochee National Forest in northern Georgia when the encounter happened Saturday.
    The bear took the family's cooler and was heading back to the woods when the youngest son, 6-year-old Logan, hurled a shovel at it.

The bear then dropped the cooler and started coming at the boy, said his father.
    Fearing what might happen next, Everhart, an ex-Marine , grabbed the closest thing he could find - a log from their stash of firewood.

"(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head," Everhart said. "I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear."

"We've not had an attack in Georgia," Riddleberger said. "The key thing to learn from this is if there's a bear around, do not have your garbage or food available.
    If we manage our food, we won't have bears around."

The attack happened the same weekend that an 11-year-old boy was killed by a black bear while camping in a forest in Utah.
    Sam Ives was found mauled to death after he was pulled screaming from his tent in the Uinta National Forest, about 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City.

Authorities said it was the first recorded fatal attack by a black bear in that state.
    His family said there was no food in the tent to attract a bear.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Former, former Marine, not "EX"

First the guy strangling a bob cat, now this...

Mother nature must be getting really ticked off...

Wow!

You know, a normal person, when assaulted by a large, carnivorous bear that would like to turn their family into lunch, would use a firearm, of a very large caliber. Leave it to the Marines to not only bring a stick to a gunfight..but win with the stick

Glad everything turned out ok for the family though.

Assistant Administrator
    We are getting much higher numbers of black bear round my area - enough that I have begun to actually stay alert to the potential for problems.

The former marine sure could throw a stick
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    First the guy strangling a bob cat, now this...

We just keep encroaching on their turf, apparant;y this ticks them off. For that matter, This guy came around to sell me natural gas at a rate only 20% higher than I pay now. I had an almost overwhelming urge to bite his leg when "no thanks" didn't get him to go away.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If you want to retain all your teeth never EVER refer to a FORMER MARINE as an "EX-MARINE" They think of that in the same terms of addressing somebody as an EX-CON. Personally I've not got a problem with ummmm ExSoldiers!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Always remember that Marine is always capitalized!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The bear took the family's cooler and was heading back to the woods when the youngest son, 6-year-old Logan, hurled a shovel at it.

The bear then dropped the cooler and started coming at the boy, said his father.
    Yikes! What in the world was the boy thinking???? The bear was retreating. I think Dad needs to have a long talk with his son about provoking wild animals.

Must have been some really good food!

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=JD;408947]Former, former Marine, not "EX"
    QUOTE]

Marine PDA

And no jumping on the Civilian. The joke was passed on to me by a Former Marine!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    WoW...a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

We had an incident here where a bear was tearing up stuff in this guys campsite. He was in a small 16" foot trailer and staying there while visiting relatives. This bear dumped his trash, scattered it all over, got in the guys coolers and trashed them and generally made itself a nuisance. He called the Game and Fish and complained.

They just told him to manage his food better and it would go away.

Unfortunately, they forgot to tell that to the bear. The guy stayed with some of his kinfolk for a few days and when he got back the bear had trashed the trailer. Every thing edible was gone, even some cans of food had been smashed and eaten. He called the G&F again and the response was not the response he wanted to hear, they just kind of waved him off.

So he cleans up the mess and a few days later the bear shows up again...this time he is there. To scare the bear off, he fires a shotgun up in the air and got the desired effect. That bear turned right around and ran full speed into a large oak tree, breaking its neck and killing it instantly.

He calls the Game Warden and tells him to come get the bear. Warden gets there and writes him a rather hefty ticket for killing a bear out of season. The guy argues with him and the warden looks for a bullet hole in the hide but there is none. Still, he gives the guy a court date.

The guy shows up in court and argues that he did not kill the bear..the bear killed itself. The warden argues that the actions of the man killed the bear. The guy argues that he called the Game and Fish several times and yet they did nothing. Warden claims that he killed a bear out of season which is something like a 5000 dollar fine and loss of hunting rights for two years.

The Judge throws it out and said that the bear killed itself and that it had it not been a ''problem" bear that it would still be alive. He also suggests that had the Game and Fish responded properly that they would have trapped the bear and released it elsewhere that the whole thing would not have evolved into wasting his time in court.

Sometimes the truth can be stranger that fiction.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Well you know, we were always told to have pen on us...

Senior Moderator
    My favorite cartoon

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Former,

So far she's losing though.

Current score:

Peope 2
    Nature 0
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I nailed a bear in the head with a piece of firewood to get him to leave my property, he just grumbled and ambled off, must get that 12ga walnut firewood.

Remember this...

I was born in the woods
    Raised by a bear
    I got a double set of jaw teeth
    And a triple coat of hair
    I got two brass balls
    And cast-iron rod
    I'm a mean devil dog
    A Marine, by God
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links