hello, i have a question about BATF and a career in Firearms?

hello, i have a question about BATF and a career in Firearms?

This is a discussion on hello, i have a question about BATF and a career in Firearms? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, once again, i turn to those who appreciate firearms and firearms safety as much as I do, and share my enthusiasm in firearms. My ...

Thread: hello, i have a question about BATF and a career in Firearms?

Smile hello, i have a question about BATF and a career in Firearms?

Hello, once again, i turn to those who appreciate firearms and firearms safety as much as I do, and share my enthusiasm in firearms. My issue is this, I'm 24, 2 years in the military(us. army), one year in deployed in Iraq(OIF3)Oct,05-oct,06, I'm a mechanic in the army(63 bravo), and I have a Bachelors degree in Clinical Psychology, I truly love firearms and i would like to pursue a career involving them, but that is the issue, what jobs other than police officer, much respect to them,just not what i want to do, that i could work with firearms outside of the military, my initial thought was BATF but don't truly know much about the individual jobs within the bureau , but I'm open to all suggestions, thanks for all your help in advance,god bless

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Datruthab123,

I'm not sure about BATFE... but you can look at www.usajobs.gov so see what jobs are open on the federal level.

Also, thought about working at the FBI firearms lab? To examine firearms from crimes? Just a thought.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Do you want to work for the firearm or that the firearm works for you?

By your post it seems you are not really interested in law enforcement, so here are a few ideas that might help you out on an initial entry job relating firearms...

In the Army you can try MOS 45B - Small Arms/Artillery Repairer.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...jobs/bl45b.htm

In the Marines its MOS 2111 - Small Arms Repairer/Technician & MOS 2112 - Precision Weapons Repairer:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...obs/bl2111.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...obs/bl2112.htm

The Navy and the Coast Guard have Gunner's Mates:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/gm.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/cgjoin/l/blgm.htm

I'm sure the Air Force has a small arms program, but I couldn't find any info on it.

You can also try the Army's Marksmanship Unit (I think you can do the job there regardles of the MOS you have):

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/

If not related to the military, try out forensic lab work (but you'll need to go to college for that).

VIP Member
    If you get into LE work as a police officer, sheriff's deputy, and/or investigator in any LE agency, firearms will be an incidental part of your job; unless you become a firearms instructor and/or armorer and/or some sort of firearms examiner.

It is very highly doubtful you can score a firearms-specific job in a gov't agency unless you have and can bring years of expertise in that field to your future employer.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Due respect to previous posts...

I suggest getting together a well thought out, working copy of your resume, then approaching manufacturers.

I did it. I work in the industry now.

I was a corporate recruiter (headhunter) with an extensive sales background. I have enjoyed shooting sports and firearms my entire life, and realized that a 36-year-old had no reason to be miserable in an office rut when there are so many cool things out there to be doing. For me, that meant approaching the owner of a local gunstock manufacturing company and convincing him that he needed to hire me to sell to Law Enforcement and Military customers. You may not have a gun manufacturer or accessories manufacturer in your area, but be resourceful and be willing to relocate. Finally, be willing to compromise and jump to the bottom of the totem pole. It is only temporary, as somebody with passion for what they do rises quickly!

I'd be glad to help you work on your resume. Since that was what I got paid big bucks to do for corporate execs, rest assured that I'm reasonably proficient. I can tell you if you're gearing the thing toward the industry, what you should eliminate or stress, etc.

After spending some time getting certifications and learning all I could about practical, tactical firearms use, I'm in a position I love, and I only want to learn more. I love selling to armorers, rangemasters and patrol officers. More importantly, I love demonstrating and instructing people in effective use of our stocks, and I get to talk guns for a living!

It is a dream job...except that I'm still waiting on the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Models to show up and give me an ice cream massage. THEN it will be perfect! I live for the SHOT Show these days! It is more fun than ANY expo in any industry EVER (a close second is probably the Surf Expo that was winding down in Orlando last year as we got rolling for the SHOT...again, the Swimsuit Models have lots to do with that...HA!)!

It is truly great to work in an industry you love...any industry you love. Go for it!

Lemme' know if I can help!

"Shoot straight and stay safe!"

Do you have any business training? Are you interested in going into the actual firearms business? You'll get a lot of mixed reviews about people that have done this. Some people love it and others absolutely hate it....BUT it's something to think about.
    I have a 5 year plan of bringing a "new" product to market...but it will take an 07FFL to do so and with that comes a whole lot of work, paperwork, stress, money, insurance, etc, etc, etc. so I'm really taking my time with the project and getting all the information together ahead of time.
    ...just another idea of a possible career in firearms though it is certainly a lot of work even at this stage of things!

..another thought (if you enjoy teaching) is a part time instructing job

Before you decide on a career with the BATFE you should read Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

Another website for federal jobs:
    https://www.avuecentral.com/casting/...pAe?agency=ACE

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    So why aren't you an officer? (just curious).

I know a guy who is a MILTECH; he travels the 4 state area repairing small arms (which somehow includes Ma Deuce) and once a month he's a MSG. I'll see if I can extract some more info next time I see him.

I assume you're Regular Army, if so make sure you use ACAP to the fullest before you separate. Schedule your physical a year out from ETS (when is that by the way?). When you're done, come see me and I'll tell you of the wonderful world of the Reserves.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Don't go to work with the BATFE. If you are going to sell your soul, you can surely get a better deal.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Don't go to work with the BATFE. If you are going to sell your soul, you can surely get a better deal.

Help us out. Build a good gun business.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

kinda old thread but I just wanted to say Hello and let you know I'm going through the same thing you are right now.

I have applied everywhere and I'm beginning to hear from some agencies. FBI is my top choice. DEA isn't hiring but they took my name. Secret Service is my second choice.

Let me know how things are going for you...just curious.

I'm 25 but no military background other than I went to a military school.

Sponsored Links