MAD MAX Invades Afghanistan - Page 2

MAD MAX Invades Afghanistan

This is a discussion on MAD MAX Invades Afghanistan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Problem with armour is it restricts your mobility, situational awareness, overstresses the vehicles and limits the amount of other supplies to be carried. One of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAD MAX Invades Afghanistan

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Problem with armour is it restricts your mobility, situational awareness, overstresses the vehicles and limits the amount of other supplies to be carried. One of the problems with armour is the bombers can outdo your armour with larger or better bombs. Most of the Merk IV killed in Lebanon were by very large buried bombs that lifted the tanks off of the ground. Also I see a number of US Iraqi veterns have concerns about to much reliance on armoured vehicles.

If you are patrolling almost trackless desert along the Iranian/Iraq border, then this vehicle comes into it's own. For Basra, the Brits have the Chally 2 and Warrior IFV. It's a case of horses for courses.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    As an APC, the stryker is fine. But it was created with the idea of replacing the M1A1 Abrams tanks and that idea is not only stupid it's dangerous! I've been an Infantry Officer and an Armor Officer. I much prefer armor and that fabled M1 is a dream machine. Strykers should be operating in concert with the heavies and never just in pure Stryker elements. Although even the M1 has been suffereng losses from IEDs, they are fewer than Stryker losses.
    It was never intended to replace the M1 across the board...at least from what they taught me at Cav Leaders (one of the few Army courses I attended; I was USMC light armor) This was before it was fielded; they were telling us was it was to be a totally new cav vehicle, "medium" cav if you will, and there'd be a light gun-armed variant to fill the role of the M3 brads and a heavier 105 variant to fill the Abrams role within these specific brigades.

('Course, that was the idea...and look what you got...not that it's doing a bad job, but it seems a waste to have just a .50 on top of all that expensive metal.)

It was hard enough getting the army to bite on any kind of wheeled vehicle, even in the specific role for which they procured them (strategic and operational mobility, minimal logistics footprint). To imagine someone trying to supplant tracks Army-wide with this chassis seems pretty out there. Still, the Cav instructors were interested in the USMC experience with the LAV-25 to apply lessons learned to the as-yet-to-be-fielded Stryker.

As to this thing, ***? Very cool, but totally inappropriate for the role they're discussing...as everyone else has said. And it says 80mph? Yeah, on a freeway...that thing looks less capable offroad than the Piranha 8-wheeled chassis of the LAV 25.

You could pack as much armament on a Chenowith FAV and get more mobility and probably range...and your crew would still be out in the open. And if they want protection from mines, IEDs, small arms, and RPGs, there are any number of off-the-shelf vehicles out there to choose from with great track records.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    It was never intended to replace the M1 across the board...at least from what they taught me at Cav Leaders (one of the few Army courses I attended; I was USMC light armor) This was before it was fielded; they were telling us was it was to be a totally new cav vehicle, "medium" cav if you will, and there'd be a light gun-armed variant to fill the role of the M3 brads and a heavier 105 variant to fill the Abrams role within these specific brigades.

('Course, that was the idea...and look what you got...not that it's doing a bad job, but it seems a waste to have just a .50 on top of all that expensive metal.)

It was hard enough getting the army to bite on any kind of wheeled vehicle, even in the specific role for which they procured them (strategic and operational mobility, minimal logistics footprint). To imagine someone trying to supplant tracks Army-wide with this chassis seems pretty out there. Still, the Cav instructors were interested in the USMC experience with the LAV-25 to apply lessons learned to the as-yet-to-be-fielded Stryker.

As to this thing, ***? Very cool, but totally inappropriate for the role they're discussing...as everyone else has said. And it says 80mph? Yeah, on a freeway...that thing looks less capable offroad than the Piranha 8-wheeled chassis of the LAV 25.

You could pack as much armament on a Chenowith FAV and get more mobility and probably range...and your crew would still be out in the open. And if they want protection from mines, IEDs, small arms, and RPGs, there are any number of off-the-shelf vehicles out there to choose from with great track records.
    Our previous government wanted to replace all of our Leopards C2's with the MGS, luckily our new government is a bit brighter and bought 120 Leopard 2A4 & 2A6's for less than the 66 MGS were going to cost us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links