MAD MAX Invades Afghanistan

This is a discussion on MAD MAX Invades Afghanistan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The 80mph 'Mad Max' monster targeting the Taliban By CHRISTOPHER LEAKE - It looks more like a vehicle from one of Mel Gibson's Mad Max ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAD MAX Invades Afghanistan

Lightbulb MAD MAX Invades Afghanistan

The 80mph 'Mad Max' monster targeting the Taliban
    By CHRISTOPHER LEAKE -

It looks more like a vehicle from one of Mel Gibson's Mad Max movies. (Pic at the link) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...=1811&ito=1490

But this four-ton monster truck is the British Army's new weapon designed to take on insurgents on the front lines of Iraq and Afghanistan.

British-made, the Supacat Weapons Mounted Installation Kit boasts awesome firepower which will be unleashed early next year. British and other Nato troops are being targeted by roadside bombs and daily firefights.

Awesome: The Supacat is described by one officer as 'a serious bit of kit'

Infantry soldiers have complained existing Land Rovers provide insufficient protection from the bombers.

Now, the Ministry of Defence is buying 130 of the light-armoured beasts which can reach a maximum 80mph and will take delivery of the first early next year.

They will use a grenade machine gun which fires at up to 340 rounds per minute, usually in bursts of three to five rounds, at targets up to a mile away.

The Supacats will also employ a 7.62mm-calibre General Purpose Machine Gun, which fires 750 rounds per minute with a range of nearly a mile.

The vehicles, made at Honiton in Devon, will also have a mounted 0.5in-calibre heavy machine gun, which fires huge rounds more than a mile at a rate of 485 to 635 a minute. They are powered by a 5.9-litre turbo-diesel engine and will carry three or four crew.

One senior Army officer described the new super-truck as a "serious bit of kit", adding it would be a "huge boost to our long-range patrolling capability".

Senior defence sources say the Supacats will particularly come into their own against the Taliban in Afghanistan's Helmand Province, which has no roads.

Defence Minister Lord Drayson said last night: "These vehicles are well armed, swift and agile and will boost our capability with some serious firepower.

"The MoD and the Treasury have worked hard to get them to our troops in quick time, and they start going out to theatre early next year."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Ex,

I remember when living in Miami I NEEDED one of these.

Now, I just WANT one!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Kind of like the jeeps in the old TV show "The Rat Patrol" on steroids!

Hmmmmm I still Live in Miami

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Ex,

I remember when living in Miami I NEEDED one of these.

Now, I just WANT one!
    I still live in Miami, I wonder if I could justify it to the CFO of our family??? Probably not. SHE'S pretty tough on just run of the mill guns.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

They get targeted by roadside bombs and small arms fire ... yet, this is an open cockpit unit with zero armor on the side? The shock wave from a nearby bomb is fairly harsh and would tear up unprotected soldiers. Plenty of firepower, sure. But what about the armor, which is what would help guard against bombs and direct fire? I wonder, if they're under-manned do they strap another G.I. on the hood? Doesn't seem like much of an improvement, at first blush.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

First thought was, FAV from Hades. Second thought was the same as above - where the heck is the armor? Even some flippin' Kevlar doors/overhead cover against shrapnel, light arms, etc. If it's Rat Patrol time, all well and good, but no military can ever resist using it's shiney new vehicles in inappropriate ways. These things might get some Royals killed.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Drive it down the middle of a crowded street and the troopers are toasted.

An up armored LAV/Striker would be a much better platform for MOUT.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm glad someone else caught what I did (ccw9mm). The story begins with troops complaining about insufficient protection against bombers and ends with talk about how it improves their long-range patrolling capability. ***? I love the British - no really don't laugh! They've come up with some great things like the Submarine Spitfire and the band Iron Maiden. But this? Yeah it looks really cool but c'mon! How is a quick and well-armed vehicle going to help protect troops when its built from 2" steel tubing and steel floor plates?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Wink Gotta Love those "Tommies"

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I'm glad someone else caught what I did (ccw9mm). The story begins with troops complaining about insufficient protection against bombers and ends with talk about how it improves their long-range patrolling capability. ***? I love the British - no really don't laugh! They've come up with some great things like the Submarine Spitfire and the band Iron Maiden. But this? Yeah it looks really cool but c'mon! How is a quick and well-armed vehicle going to help protect troops when its built from 2" steel tubing and steel floor plates?
    Well, I think the original idea...however STOOOPID....was that it's speed would give it the measure of protection of greater armor with less speed. I'll bet they think they can ZOOM thru a KZ before an ambush can be effectively triggered (either explosive or small arms) and then in the next breath they mention it's going to be especially useful in an area where there are NO roads! DUH.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The Brits spend less time in Urban areas generally, a lot of desert patrolling with Landrovers, pinzaugers and Scimatar light tanks. They trade speed, mobility and firepower for armour. For places like Basra they use the Warrior IFV and the Chally 2. There is a good set of articles on the brits at Micheal Yon's blog.

I think they should let the designers take it for the first ride in the war zone. Armor ? we don't need no stinkin armor, we can go 80 mph !

I'm no expert on military issues, but this looks like it leaves a lot to be desired for the protection of the occupants. 80 mph is NOT faster than a speeding bullet.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    This thing is in the same class as the vehicle we call the Stryker. Very fast vehicle, good for moving troops around quickly. Some have a gun tube mounted on it, as in artillery. This is also the same vehicle that has become a favorite target of our enemies. The Hummer was a great vehicle too, during desert storm. Until they started blowing them up. Then, we put on 500lb doors, armor plating on the bottom and sides, 1" thick glass all the way around. Small arms couldn't touch it, so they decided to use buried bombs to take them out. These types of vehicles, while fast, can not compete with a car along the side of the road with 5 arty shells in it hooked up to someone's cell phone. My son, and another person in this thread, who has a family member that has been hurt in Iraq, can verify that while they are good vehicles in peace time, they are useless in the war we are fighting today.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

As an APC, the stryker is fine. But it was created with the idea of replacing the M1A1 Abrams tanks and that idea is not only stupid it's dangerous! I've been an Infantry Officer and an Armor Officer. I much prefer armor and that fabled M1 is a dream machine. Strykers should be operating in concert with the heavies and never just in pure Stryker elements. Although even the M1 has been suffereng losses from IEDs, they are fewer than Stryker losses.

BAC
    That's a real crappy design... But a great way to get a lot of Brits KIA. I guess that's one way to convince a country to pull its forces.

Any design in the world is going to be very hard-pressed to become "IED-proof." If they're bomb-proof along the bottom, the enemies leave IED's surfaced to explode against the side of the armor. If the armor is bomb-proof along the side, they blow 'em up from beneath.

The part that most of these designs keep forgetting is that having a surviving FRAME is one thing, but a surviving CREW is another altogether. Reinforce interior suspension and restraint systems, suit up crews in appropriate protective clothing/helmets, and create some sort of shock-absorption system that helps minimize the concussive impact between the exterior frame and interior housing.

I don't care how tough a vehicle is, anything that can flip an Abrams is GOING to kill people. 'Cept that bomb-defusing vehicle I think the U.S. Army has that's so far been IED-proof; some massive tracked vehicle that was on the military channel a week or so ago. That thing's crazy.

-B

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    What a joke.

Lots of squaddies are going to die in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links