Who does the FBI call when they are robbed? - Page 2

Who does the FBI call when they are robbed?

This is a discussion on Who does the FBI call when they are robbed? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by paramedic70002 Most people agree that on-duty LEOs can carry wherever they want outside of a penal institution (although I have heard of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Most people agree that on-duty LEOs can carry wherever they want outside of a penal institution (although I have heard of one hospital ER that banned them after a prisoner got the LEO's gun AND THE CHIEF WENT ALONG WITH THE BAN), but, assuming no laws to the contrary, don't off-duty LEOs have to respect the law and property owner's rules the same as everybody else? For that matter, can a property owner tell an on-duty LEO, "No guns allowed" if the LEO is not on official business?
    I can't speak to State/Local LEOs and what their policies are. In my agency, the policy is that I can carry anywhere, any time, as long as I'm not drinking or otherwise impaired, or entering special facilities (such as jails/prisons, like you mentioned).

I've never been challenged by anyone carrying off duty (or on duty, for that matter), so I can't say how it would play out. I just know that I ignore any and all signs or other "restrictions," barring those facilities mentioned.

Part of it is the very situation that happened here - my weapon is always safest attached to my body, not in a car or wherever. There have been MANY reports of police cars being broken into - an agent I know had their weapon, radio, and body armor stolen from their car, and I have even heard of fully stocked SWAT deployment vehicles being broken into. Cars are just too vulnerable...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Most people agree that on-duty LEOs can carry wherever they want outside of a penal institution (although I have heard of one hospital ER that banned them after a prisoner got the LEO's gun AND THE CHIEF WENT ALONG WITH THE BAN), but, assuming no laws to the contrary, don't off-duty LEOs have to respect the law and property owner's rules the same as everybody else? For that matter, can a property owner tell an on-duty LEO, "No guns allowed" if the LEO is not on official business?
    Some departments require Off Duty Officers to be armed at all times.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Maybe he decided to carry his BUG on his person b/c of his clothing or what not and leave the big ol Block in the car.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    LEO have the right to carry 99% of places here atleast

I'm a federal LEO as well and I ignore all signs/ restrictions, off duty or on. Obviously prisons and local jails are a different story but I use their lock boxes or the lock box in my GOV if it has one. It's also nice to skip the TSA security line at the airport and fly armed while off duty.

I think you are all being a bit too harsh with this guy. As you know he is the only one in this room who is qualified to carry this firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I think you are all being a bit too harsh with this guy. As you know he is the only one in this room who is qualified to carry this firearm.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

We had a county sheriff's SWAT team member who left his MP5 lying on the back seat of his personal car, parked on the street downtown, while he attended a baseball game last year. Needless to say, it wasn't there when he came back.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links