10 yr old boy w/ plastic gun = SWAT call-out (UK)

10 yr old boy w/ plastic gun = SWAT call-out (UK)

This is a discussion on 10 yr old boy w/ plastic gun = SWAT call-out (UK) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Boy’s toy gun triggers police raid http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2033920.ece CRADLEY HEATH Armed police confronted a ten-year-old boy who was showing his friend a plastic toy gun at ...

Thread: 10 yr old boy w/ plastic gun = SWAT call-out (UK)

Angry 10 yr old boy w/ plastic gun = SWAT call-out (UK)

Boy’s toy gun triggers police raid

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2033920.ece

CRADLEY HEATH Armed police confronted a ten-year-old boy who was showing his friend a plastic toy gun at his home.

Two officers armed with machineguns and others handling dogs went to the house in Cradley Heath, Staffordshire, after police received a report about groups of youths, some with firearms, in the area. They found Brodie-Cian showing off his new 18-inch black plastic gun to a friend.

Gail Pearsall, his mother, was also present. She said: “I suddenly saw the officers. They were saying, ‘Go, go go, move it’. Then they said, ‘Is that Brodie?’ I was so shocked I thought, ‘What on earth has my son done?’

“I just couldn’t believe it. There were ten of them in total. They then said they wanted the gun and they took it away into one of the cars and looked at it for half an hour.”

Brodie has been banned from taking the £10 gun, bought from a market stall, out in public. He said: “I was very frightened. There were loads of officers with guns and dogs. I thought maybe it was the gun.”

Yes, but how did they know two children had such a toy? Informing neighbors want to know ...

Though, kudos on the quick response. I'd like to get that here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    You'd like to have cops overreacting to nonsense here? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Though, kudos on the quick response. I'd like to get that here.
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    You'd like to have cops overreacting to nonsense here? Why?
    Uh, no.

Preferring quicker (to slower) responsiveness, in general, doesn't even imply I'd prefer such dangerous and intrusive overreaction here. One (responsiveness to legitimate issues) need not beget the other (stupidity).

We've got plenty of militarization of our police forces as it is, with plenty already occurring, thank you very much. (Probably making the U.K. forces quite proud, at that, for the low level of overreaction we do have, but that's an assumption on my part.)

Can't imagine who would want such knee-jerk, bring-in-the-tanks type responses to common, petty issues. Of course, we do indeed see such crap, when nosy Nellie neighbors get particularly worked up over threat level yellow/mauve/peach or whatever, when they call for help based on fears instead of facts. The militarization of our police forces in the U.S. over the past 30yrs has not helped matters.

Had a friend taken out by just such a response, back in the early 1980's in the Los Angeles area. A kind and quiet man in his 50's that was sitting at home with his wife cleaning his hunting rifle on the kitchen table, when a whole crew surrounded his home and shot him dead, right where he sat. All subsequent attempts to get any info out of the agency about the officers involved, the manner in which they were informed, what justified the heightened response ... all of that was met with overt threats and stonewalling. The unwarranted attack was bad enough; the cover-up was just as terrifying. The family dropped the issue in time, given the hateful, dangerous response to inquiries. Hasn't gone anywhere since, and likely never will.

May such instances of overreaction to non-issues remain at a low ebb, for all the obvious reasons, legitimate fears of tyranny and criminal abuse of power not the least.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links