LEO Interview

This is a discussion on LEO Interview within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I passed the written test and now have an Interview w/ my local PD. Or as it's called...."oral board" So, calling ALL LEO's....what is ...

Thread: LEO Interview

LEO Interview

So, I passed the written test and now have an Interview w/ my local PD. Or as it's called...."oral board" So, calling ALL LEO's....what is the norm in these kinds of interviews? I'm not worried about my legal background...I've never been in trouble. I did get in a little trouble in the Navy..nothing serious. Can they PD get access to my millitary files? I've only been out a yr. I have no intention (sp?) of lying about anything, just a question. Any help would be great....thanks guys.

Derrin
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    I did get in a little trouble in the Navy..nothing serious.
    No offense but don't all sailors get in a little trouble?

Not a biggie IMO.

Glad to hear about the career change, good luck.

PM MichaelBrown over @ okshooters.com
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Senior Moderator
    Does it show up on your DD214 ? Did you have NJP or a Captains Mast ?

More than likely its not a big deal. If they ask, just be up front about it. It really depends on what the trouble was about as to whether it will have any bearing or not. If you got into a drunken brawl, it probably wont matter. If you got caught stealing something or it was something that brought your personal integrity into question...it might.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Be painfully honest, hold nothing back. They are more interested in truth than an impeccable record.

If they ask you if you'd give your mother a speeding ticket, say, "No." They don't want automatons.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Be painfully honest, hold nothing back. They are more interested in truth than an impeccable record.

If they ask you if you'd give your mother a speeding ticket, say, "No." They don't want automatons.
    That is good advice, follow it to the tee.
    Good luck!!!!!!!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Great advice...background checks usually involve asking questions of past supervisors. The key is clearly communicating any lessons learned from past discretions.

I can only add...be yourself...interviewers see right through fakes.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Having been through a couple of these remember to stay calm. There will be many questions that you may not have thought about yet. One such question in one of my interviews was "How do you feel about gays?". Some other questions you may get are "Why do you want to be a cop?", "How do you feel about gun control?", How would you deal with your own prejudgices on and off the job?". Just a few to get you thinking and hopefully prepared for the pressure cooker. They look for those who are level headed and can control their prejudgices in addition to other factors. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Good luck with it.

Thanks guys....It went well. They asked 15 standard questions, the same they ask everyone. It took 30 mins. I was told that I would here something next week. They asked Q's I thought I'd here. Like, "why do you want to be a police officer?" And you've pulled over a fellow officer for DUI...what do you do? I think it went well. So.....keep your fingers crossed for me guys!!!
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Mine are crossed good luck. Usually if you feel it went well it most likely did. Take a breather right now. If you are appointed they will naturally send you to an academy. That is where you will sweat the most (physically and mentally). Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck... Need good guys on the job! Keeping fingers crossed
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

IMO your service to your country overrides a minor indiscretion! I've done backgrounds on candidates and we find out a lot more than you think. We overlook a lot of minor stuff but we don't overlook a candidate being dishonest.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

you've pulled over a fellow officer for DUI...what do you do? I think it went well.
    If you answered this one by saying you'd get him a cab to get him home... or follow the department recommended guidelines ... or call your sergeant if you weren't sure... you did fine.

I know one agency who's patch includes "To protect and serve with integrity" that used that question in the context of the fellow officer (a sgt) being so drunk off duty as to be nearly incoherent. And they would disqualify any candidate who said they'd make a DUI bust. So much for the integrity in their motto.

Good luck on your career change!
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

Links