Passenger pulls gun even after free to go

This is a discussion on Passenger pulls gun even after free to go within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=74408 DENVER – On Friday, police identified the man who was shot and killed after a struggle that left two officers wounded. Denver Police say ...

Thread: Passenger pulls gun even after free to go

Passenger pulls gun even after free to go

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=74408

DENVER – On Friday, police identified the man who was shot and killed after a struggle that left two officers wounded.

Denver Police say 25-year-old Carlos Becerra was shot in the head and died at 2 a.m. on Friday after the incident that began around 10:30 p.m. Thursday in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven at 10th and Federal.

Denver Police Chief Gerry Whitman says several agencies were in the area on Thursday night as part of the newly-formed Metro DUI Task Force. They were serving warrants and stopping people for possible DUIs. It was the first night of the task force's operations.

Whitman says Colorado State Patrol trooper Dennis Wilder, pulled over the driver of a small SUV for a cracked windshield. Both cars pulled into the 7-Eleven parking lot at 1000 Federal Boulevard. Two Arapahoe County Sheriff's deputies were already in the lot.

During the stop, Wilder discovered there was an outstanding warrant for the driver of the SUV, 30-year-old Julius Michael Poorman. Wilder then called a Denver Police officer for back-up.

The warrant against him was for failing to appear in the case that began with harassment charges.

After Poorman was arrested, Becerra, who was a passenger in the SUV, was told to walk home.

Becerra then pulled a gun and pointed it in Denver Officer Ryan Kobernick's face.

Kobernick tried to grab the gun and a struggle began. Wilder and the two Arapahoe deputies tried to help him.

During the scuffle, Becerra's gun went off twice. One shot hit Wilder in the left foot and another shot hit one of the deputies, Lieutenant Steve Curti, in the left wrist.

The other deputy, whose name was not released, then opened fire on the suspect and apparently hit him in the head at least once.

Wilder and Curti are both listed in fair condition at Denver Health Medical Center. Sheriff Grayson Robinson says Curti is expected to be OK. Curti underwent surgery Thursday night and will have an additional surgery Friday to remove bone fragments.

Kobernick was treated for a broken nose and released early Friday morning.

Becerra died at 2 a.m. after being treated at Denver Health Medical Center.

He has a lengthy criminal record including several incidents of motor vehicle theft, larceny and parole violation.

Poorman is being held in the Denver County Jail on the charges of failing to appear as well as suspected DUI and a defective vehicle.

(Copyright KUSA*TV. All rights reserved.)

My first post trying something like this. hope I got it right.

Scary situation. Even after being free to go, man pulled a gun. I'm glad our officers are ok.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    My first post trying something like this. hope I got it right.
    Looks fine to me.

I am thinking the passenger guy panicked - but very foolishly. He could it seems have gotten away free, to commit more crimes. Instead he screwed up - and is now another statistic, but probably a useful one. Just a pity two cops had to get hurt in the process.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, Chris... foolish was an understatement..

The guy was a moron! Free to go, and decided to shoot it out with 4 armed cops! Not a real brain trust. And from the sound of it... got what brains he had scrambled in the process!

Hope the cops can recover without being disabled!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Assistant Administrator
    Hope the cops can recover without being disabled!
    Agreed there but on reflection now, I see foot and wrist wounds as very awkward - damage to tarsus or carpus is not good news, with bone fragmentation etc ... chances are I fear there will disablement - as in close to fused articulations.

''In harm's way'' so closely describes a day for so many cops.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hmmm...felon with a gun....there oughtta be a law...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Yes, and that law ought to be, "Felon with a gun? Well, it's now fair to presume he is a VERY BAD PERSON, intending harm to innocents: shoot on sight."

With "several incidents of motor vehicle theft, larceny and parole violation", just what the heck was this guy doing out of prison?

Our 'catch and release' justice sysrem is not working very well, is it?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

You've got to wonder about logic, sometimes. Told to leave by police, that he was free to go, he then turns a gun on the police? What, for the effrontery of the stop, the "diss" they dealt him? He was a criminal who just got handed a get-out-of-jail-free card, and he seeks to murder the LEO's for it? That's a complete lack of honor and working synapses, there.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Our 'catch and release' justice sysrem [sic] is not working very well, is it?
    It's serving the primary political purpose: avoiding further cash outlay to handle the number of criminals caught. But it's failing the true primary purpose: keeping dangerous types off the street and out of our hair. Speaking with the head of jails in my county, it's clear that there aren't many choices when the cash isn't available.

Oregon's not immune from the stupidity, either. We've got a large, modern jail rotting near Portland but overcrowding in most jails in the metro area ... yet nobody can use the damned thing due to poltics and "turf". Stupidity and malfeasance with public funds at its finest, all the while catch-and-release keeps sending dozens a day back into circulation just to keep up with the load.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Looks fine to me.

I am thinking the passenger guy panicked - but very foolishly. He could it seems have gotten away free, to commit more crimes. Instead he screwed up - and is now another statistic, but probably a useful one. Just a pity two cops had to get hurt in the process.
    "I prefer dead offenders." -- Ted Nugent.

The guy should never have been out of prison.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    ....just what the heck was this guy doing out of prison?
    Preparing to meet his just rewards! Fate has intervened on this one.

My hopes and prayers to the deputy's and thanks for delivering justice and saving us tax payers any more money.

I guess he must have been facing a LONG walk home. Maybe he was looking to rob someone to raise cab fare, and the police were the first marks he spotted. DUMB@$$, glad he was not a better shot and had a soft skull.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    You've got to wonder about logic, sometimes. Told to leave by police, that he was free to go, he then turns a gun on the police? What, for the effrontery of the stop, the "diss" they dealt him? He was a criminal who just got handed a get-out-of-jail-free card, and he seeks to murder the LEO's for it? That's a complete lack of honor and working synapses, there.

It's serving the primary political purpose: avoiding further cash outlay to handle the number of criminals caught. But it's failing the true primary purpose: keeping dangerous types off the street and out of our hair. Speaking with the head of jails in my county, it's clear that there aren't many choices when the cash isn't available.

Oregon's not immune from the stupidity, either. We've got a large, modern jail rotting near Portland but overcrowding in most jails in the metro area ... yet nobody can use the damned thing due to poltics and "turf". Stupidity and malfeasance with public funds at its finest, all the while catch-and-release keeps sending dozens a day back into circulation just to keep up with the load.
    as well as a lame revolving door policy that gets them back in, for a longer stay, when they screw up again (and they will) keeping correction facility funds flowing.
    What's this button do?

Links