Military Heroes

Military Heroes

This is a discussion on Military Heroes within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; George Washington, John Paul Jones, Paul Revere, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E . Lee, George Custer, Pickett, Sherman, Alvin York, Blackjack Pershing, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Heroes

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Military Heroes

George Washington, John Paul Jones, Paul Revere, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E . Lee, George Custer, Pickett, Sherman, Alvin York, Blackjack Pershing, Audie Murphy, Creighton Abrams, George Patton, Chester Nimitz, Pappy Boyington, Chesty Puller, just to name a few.

Where are our modern day heroes? Pat Tillman obviously in the news but for the wrong reason of late. Jessica Lynch?

Are there any famous for heroic deeds or other noble notoriety?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Randall Shughart and Gary Gordon from Blackhawk Down in Somalia

Jason Dunham and Pual Smith in Iraq

There are sevearl from Veitnam if we would just take the time to learn of their actions and deeds.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Carlos Hathcock has allways been one of mine. http://www.marinescoutsniper.com/sni...es/Carlos.html.

This Marine attacked and defeated an entire trench full of Iraqis. He was the first one to catch my eye in the current fight:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/chontosh.asp
    Glenn Beck had a SeAL named Marcus Luttrell, who has written Lone Survivor, on his show. I don't know what award he received as far as medals, but he was amazing to listen to as the only survivor of a 4-man team that killed a BUNCH of Taliban before they were taken out.
    The two modern military heroes that strike me the hardest right now are Gary Gordon and Randy Shugart, the two (SF? Delta?) men that volunteered (and were once or twice denied their request as it was a suicide mission) to go to one of the the downed Blackhawks in Mogadishu and save the pilot's life-at the cost of their own.
    I am in awe of men like this. I don't know what makes them-and that includes Tillman-but I'm thankful to their parents for them and to them for being extraordinary. I worry that we won't have enough of them as national pride wears away and self-absorption overwhelms sense of duty.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Certainly none that are generally known by most folks. I know of few, myself.

John Douglas, perhaps, with the FBI's serial crime group, focusing on forensic psychology and profiling. He worked on some of the worst cases in modern times, helping to break them when little else helped.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Brad Kasal,
    USMC
    Shot seven times, and through his own body over a Private's to protect him from the brunt of a grenade. Survived the blast and fought for consciousness as well as his life and the life of his Marines. When he and his Private were rescued, he hobbled out still holding his sidearm.

The guy should have gotten the medal of honor.

They feared he'd never walk right again due to all of his surgeries he needed.

He stood and walked to receive his Navy Cross.

I can't list names of those "Heros" that make national news, but in my mind every young American that has stepped foot into country and has served their tour is a Hero in my book. Thank you to all those who have served our Nation and all those who will.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Brad Kasal,
    USMC
    Shot seven times, and through his own body over a Private's to protect him from the brunt of a grenade. Survived the blast and fought for consciousness as well as his life and the life of his Marines. When he and his Private were rescued, he hobbled out still holding his sidearm.

Just saw a story on this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr_JH...elated&search=

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Brad Kasal,
    USMC

This guy has been put in for the Medal of Honor, but from what I understand, this war has become "too" political, and therefore he may never see it.
    I remember reading an article in the Air Force Times about previous wars and how many MOHs were awarded compared to the stinginess we see now as far as recognizing valor and heroism. It went as far as to suggest that our current "everybody wins- everybody is the same-participation trophies for all" PC climate is preventing commanders from giving medals such as the DSC, AF/Navy Cross and MOH.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Paul Smith has got to be the bravest SOB I have heard of.

This joker faced down a charge of 150 screaming Iraqi's wile he covered his squads retreat, dieing only after running out of ammo and he men where safe.

You know, any man that will jump on a grande, or lead a charge, or stand on the line under fire is a hero. Hell any man that just says "I'll go" is a hero. But when you look up and have 150+ guys running towards you firing AK-47's, and you look at your squad and say "I got this, you guys bug out" hell... that takes something special.

The Ones that never make the News, and do there Jobs and Die.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Id just like to take a minute to thank all of you. I by no means claim to be a hero, but on behalf of all of those that are, and the rest of us that support them, thank you. You guys are the heroes. You see, A man will fight long and hard for a tiny piece of colored ribbon, and he does it for no other reason than the love for his brothers, his family, and his country. It's all of you out there that thank us, that put up a thread like this, even those who just don't say anything negative, you are the ones that make it all worth it. I told my boys before we got home to thank everyone that thanked them. Because they are Americas heroes. Because they have the fortitude to stand by what they believe in, and without them, America would fall apart at the seams.

First Sergeant Kasal was in the Marine force that replaced our unit in Iraq, and Lt. Chontosh's attack took place while I was there. Both of these Marines embrace everything that is a Marine. Everything that is an American. I hope that First Sergeant Kasal gets to return to active duty, we could sure use him.

Thanks again everyone. You make America worth fighting for.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    The Ones that never make the News, and do there Jobs and Die.
    +1. Once upon a time in this country, the media reported the stories of these men and women. The media do not do so today, in my opinion. Such stories do not fit their (the media's) worldview--i.e., "Hate America first." JMHO, YMMV.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    This guy has been put in for the Medal of Honor, but from what I understand, this war has become "too" political, and therefore he may never see it.
    No, he never got the MOH. My husband and I followed the story very closely. We both wished he would receive one. He did not. He was, instead, awarded the Navy Cross. Still an honor, for sure, but his actions warranted the MOH, in my humble opinion.

Speaking of Navy Crosses (5) - Chesty Puller

and Col. John Ripley (The Bridge at Dong Ha) and the Marines first "Quad Body".

Always admired the Mustang leadership style of Col. Wesley Fox

A Marine I have met several times and who has autographed some cool stuff for me. He has done a lot for the positive image of the Corps.

and Semper Fi, my friend

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links