Soldier's tooth stops bullet!

This is a discussion on Soldier's tooth stops bullet! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Link The Tooth that Saved a Soldier's Life Marked as: Mature, Featured Christmas Eve morning a soldier came into our clinic at the Ibn Sina ...

Thread: Soldier's tooth stops bullet!

Soldier's tooth stops bullet!

Link

The Tooth that Saved a Soldier's Life Marked as: Mature, Featured
    Christmas Eve morning a soldier came into our clinic at the Ibn Sina Hospital in downtown Baghdad covered in his own blood. He recounted an incredible story. Early Christmas Eve morning, two squads were assigned to sweep and clear two adjacent homes where Iraq terrorists were holed-up. The patient, SGT C, was leading one of those assault squads. The other squad hit their target first.

SGT C said that he heard a lot of small arms fire and yelling, so he thought he would round the corner and size up the situation before advancing his team. Unfortunately, as he turned the corner, he found himself staring directly into the barrel of a 9mm automatic pistol. SGT C said he never had time to be scared, he just knew he was dead. The terrorist pulled the trigger and, miraculously, SGT C found himself still standing. He figured the bullet had missed. He advanced on the Iraqi, who immediately surrendered. After the enemy was rounded up, SGT C said he started to feel light! headed and one of his soldiers insisted that he proceed to the hospital. He realized at this time that he had lost his front tooth in the gun fight. He figured the ballistic shock from the weapon's blast had knocked it loose. He was wrong.

When he presented early that morning Major Kimberly Perkins, our oral surgeon, took a panograph and discovered the incredible truth. The 9mm bullet did NOT miss SGT C. He was hit directly in the face. The bullet entered just below his nose where it impacted the apex of #8. The energy from the bullet was transferred to the tooth, literally ejecting the tooth from its socket, and stopping the bullet in its track. Other than the missing tooth, the majority of SGT C's injuries were confined to soft tissue.
    Incredible. I'll bet the Iraqi thought the guy was Superman or something; still standing after a point blank shot to the head!
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    My dad used to tease me about being hard headed, but I don't think just my teeth could stop a 9
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Another example of escaping by the skin of his teeth!

Actually I find this unbelievable if the round which was fired was a normal 9. More believable if the charge were defective.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Actually I find this unbelievable if the round which was fired was a normal 9. More believable if the charge were defective.
    Having seen where they get and how they store ammo, this is a likely explanation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Another example of escaping by the skin of his teeth!

I have seen a .45 round deflected by the bill of a normal baseball cap so I am not surprised about this case in particular.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

it's really not that surprising when you've read the amazing stories that happen all the time with near misses and escaping death but it's still amazing when you hear them.

the 5.56 rounds that US soldiers use were designed to deflect as soon as they hit something in order to "tear things up inside".

i hope he took out a least one before feeling light headed. glad he's alright.
    What's this button do?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post

Incredible. I'll bet the Iraqi thought the guy was Superman or something; still standing after a point blank shot to the head!
    LOL thats exactly what I was thinking. That iraqi was probable felt like going

That is awsome the guy is alive and doesn't have too much damage from it.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Moderator
    His number wasnt up.

Simple.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah....this happened during the opening of the war in 2003.

I'd imagine the terrorist that pulled the trigger wet himself when the American didn't go down.
    I don't know why he advanced on the target, why didn't he shoot the guy who just tried to kill him
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

whoa.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

Links