Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo? - Page 2

Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo?

This is a discussion on Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pa State Police just switched to the Glock 37 .45 GAP. In know that they issued a 200gr gold dot load. We issue either the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Pa State Police just switched to the Glock 37 .45 GAP. In know that they issued a 200gr gold dot load. We issue either the G22 or 23 (officer's choice) 165g Federal HST is the ammo.

Ex:
    US Customs (actually CBP, but no one knows what that is) use either the G17 with 124gr +p Gold Dot or a H&K P2000 with Remington 155gr jhp at 1195fps. ICE agents usually carry the SIG P229 (I think - I haven't asked one lately) in .40. I'm not sure of the load but I'd bet it's the same .40 as above. FBI is still the G22 or G23 with a 165gr loaded at 950fps. Border Patrol is the P2000 with the CBP load.

Senior Moderator
    The Sheriff Dept where I work is issued the Glock 21 .45. Ive got one but dont use it. We can pretty much use whatever we can qualify with though.

Instead, I use the P220 Sig.

We switched from Ranger SXT and went to the Remingtion Golden Sabers. Why...I dont know. Maybe they got a better deal from Remington of something.
    I still have lots of both so it dont matter to me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I got to shoot with one of the regulars at the range who is a Federal Flight Deck Officer yesterday. Armed ariline pilot. Whole other thread about what he told me, but.... The issue gun is an H&K USP compact in .40, the ammo 180gr Gold Dot.
    I have also shot IDPA with one and he had the USP compact with the LEM trigger.

Wink Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Ex:
    US Customs (actually CBP, but no one knows what that is) use either the G17 with 124gr +p Gold Dot or a H&K P2000 with Remington 155gr jhp at 1195fps. ICE agents usually carry the SIG P229 (I think - I haven't asked one lately) in .40. I'm not sure of the load but I'd bet it's the same .40 as above. FBI is still the G22 or G23 with a 165gr loaded at 950fps. Border Patrol is the P2000 with the CBP load.
    Maybe: Customs/Border Patrol??? Thanks for the info.

Would you PLEASE start a thread on what the Flight Deck Officer told you?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My employer provides Sig 229 DAK 40s and .40 s&w 155 grain JHPs.

The Seattle,WA Police Department carries either a GLOCK 22 or 23 (officer preference)
    The Bellvue, WA Police Department uses the Heckler and Koch USP Compact chambered for 9mm
    The Tacoma,WA Police Department lets the officers decide between the GLOCK 22, GLOCK 21, or Kimber Pro Carry II
    hope that helps

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am pretty sure Texas Rangers use the SIG P226 chambered in .357 SIG. I just finished training a guy who was a lateral entry from Texas DPS; he said Troopers and Rangers all shot their qual course with their issued .357 SIGs. I don't want to say which agency employs me, but Houston PD, the biggest agency in my area, uses .40 S&W chambered in the SIG P229 or P226, Glock G22 or G23, and certain other autopistols by Beretta, S&W, and possibly Springfield, as primary uniformed duty pistols. Plainclothes officers have the option of certain other handguns, including .357 S&W revolvers, and officers who were already with the department in 1997 can continue to carry a wide range of "grandfathered" duty pistols. All firearms are personally purchased by the officers, as is the duty ammo, within guidelines.

I know that at least one Bureau(its not the FBI) within the USDOJ uses a mix of M9's and Ruger P95DAO's (tip of the hat to Chris).
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

FFDO

Well, first, the FFDO I shot with was not an expert shot and didn't talk like the master gunfighter. He had a flinch/trigger jerk issue he was working on and did some dummy round drills to work on it. All in all a much better than average shooter and a quiet professional. He told me that the problems reported with the airline making it difficult for him to get the training were not as bad as some have made out. He had no trouble making the training, getting time off, etc. He described the process of the infamous lock box in detail. They are supposed to load the gun and store it in the box at home and not to administratively handle it, function it, chamber check it, etc outside their own home. Only to be removed from the lock box when they are on the flight deck, and otherwise minimal handling is the rule. The shooting course he described was all pretty close range stuff. One and two handed up to 7 yards with seated and firing to the rear practiced. That only makes sense. He was not specific as to the time frames involved. He told me he got a cupon from H&K for a good discount on an H&K pistol. Very cheap. He would not tell if they were allowed to carry while "deadheading", aparantly he does deadhead quite a bit for his role as a check pilot. He flies a domestic route when he's not doing checkrides, if it matters. He's not international. He flies out of a state where his FL CCW is valid, but is not allowed to CCW his issue gun. He does CCW in FL with his own non-issue gun, but to CCW out of state, he would have to check his own pistol through if I understand it right.

By the way, another small local agency, a "public safety" department (all officers are LEO, fire and EMS trained) issues the Glock 21 for uniform and 30 for admin-plainclothes. Ammo is Hydra Shok 230gr. A friend who works there told me the HS from a recent shooting of a BG armed with a cinder block expanded to .62 and didn't exit when fired from a 21. They have not had issues with the gun being too big for anyone as of yet.
    Last edited by srfl; September 15th, 2007 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Stuff on there does not need to be on a public forum

VIP Member
    CBP = Customs & Border Protection

Fed agencies usually go with Sigs, HKs, or Glocks. Most common caliber seems to be the .40 S&W and most of those agencies issue Speer Gold Dot 165 grain loads.

Most ICE agents I work with have gone to HK, that is particularly true with the "legacy" INS agents as their duty gun pre-9/11 and creation of ICE were .40 S&W USPs.

FBI SWAT'ers get SA 1911's. The "regular" FBI agent force have Glock .40's; my partner was forced to relinquish his (cherished) P226 9mm that has been his duty gun for 14 years for a Glock....he's not happy with that.

When I went to FLETC in 2000 and 2001, mostly everyone had a Sig or a Glock...and those in 9mm. However, a Dept. of Energy Office of Inspector General (OIG) agent had a S&W 439 9mm, a Dept. of Education OIG agent had a S&W Sigma 9mm, and a U.S. Park Police detective had an HK P7M8.

My agency issues the P229 or P239 (or as many agents refer to it, the "girl's gun"....don't flame me! I don't call it that!) in .40 S&W.

Prior to that, we were issued the P228, P239, or P225 in 9mm. The duty round then was first the Federal 147 grain Hydra Shock JHP, and then was switched to the standard velocity Speer 124 grain Gold Dot. I carried a P228 with a short trigger.

I've started seeing some OIG agents with the P229R DAK...nice gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links