Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo?

Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo?

This is a discussion on Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This sort of got started with me last school year when I created and started teaching in the Criminal Justice magnet at my inner city ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo?

Exclamation Shout out to the cops on "issue" firearms & ammo?

This sort of got started with me last school year when I created and started teaching in the Criminal Justice magnet at my inner city high school. Some of the kids wanted to know what firearms and ammo various depts issued. So I e-mail the Texas Rangers to start. That was in OCT of last year. I just got a response last week! They're issued Sig P226 9mm and the issue load is the GDHP 124gr+P+ but it's optional. Most Rangers still stick with the traditional 1911 while acknowledging that the Walker 44 is a little slow on the reload since it is the ultimate tradition for the Rangers!

I've since tried to find out what the issue weapon and ammo is for FDLE and Miami-Dade PD and I just can't seem to find out squat. I know the kids are gonna wanna know in two weeks when school starts. This criminal justice academy is designed to prep kids to basically enter the police academy almost directly from high school. In the third year of the program they go to the range and are taught weapons retention techniques...so it is a pretty big deal. Obviously only kids with no behavior problems are admitted to the program.

So if anybody knows anything, whether it's what your own dept issues or if you definitely know what somebody else issues. I'd like to know brand names of firearms and ammo that are also sanctioned or optional.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    This sort of got started with me last school year when I created and started teaching in the Criminal Justice magnet at my inner city high school. Some of the kids wanted to know what firearms and ammo various depts issued. So I e-mail the Texas Rangers to start. That was in OCT of last year. I just got a response last week! They're issued Sig P226 9mm and the issue load is the GDHP 124gr+P+ but it's optional. Most Rangers still stick with the traditional 1911 while acknowledging that the Walker 44 is a little slow on the reload since it is the ultimate tradition for the Rangers!

I've since tried to find out what the issue weapon and ammo is for FDLE and Miami-Dade PD and I just can't seem to find out squat. I know the kids are gonna wanna know in two weeks when school starts. This criminal justice academy is designed to prep kids to basically enter the police academy almost directly from high school. In the third year of the program they go to the range and are taught weapons retention techniques...so it is a pretty big deal. Obviously only kids with no behavior problems are admitted to the program.

So if anybody knows anything, whether it's what your own dept issues or if you definitely know what somebody else issues. I'd like to know brand names of firearms and ammo that are also sanctioned or optional.
    Ex, you should be able to get info on MDPD & BSO asking at the club's forum. AFAIK we have at least one MDPD (Swoosh) and I think Linda's Hubby and Son are BSO. I saw three Treasury agents day before yesterday and all three carried SIGs but I could not tell you the model
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Wink Thanks, Miggy...

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Ex, you should be able to get info on MDPD & BSO asking at the club's forum. AFAIK we have at least one MDPD (Swoosh) and I think Linda's Hubby and Son are BSO. I saw three Treasury agents day before yesterday and all three carried SIGs but I could not tell you the model
    I just posted a new thread over there. NEW LOOK for that place, I see.

I thought the Fed Sigs were P226's but I've been hearing that some are given P229's in 40 or 357 Sig (oddly enough). What does NCIS carry I wonder? I mean GIBBS, he carries a P226 but McGee...I think he uses a P239. The Mossad gal (what a babe) uses a P226 but I'm not certain. Might be a P225 or P228. So much for Hollywood. Wonder what the real guys use?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

This research was done by DOJ in 2000 so it's a few yrs old but the info won't change all that much.
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/lemas00.pdf

Also, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the info but here's another source that someone has compiled.
    http://worldinventory.googlepages.com/home

VIP Member
    Not all Feds carry Sigs, and not all that carry Sigs carry .40 or .357SIG. DEA can carry Glocks or Sigs in 9mm or .40, FBI is primarily Glocks, Army CID is P228 in 9mm (the M11 in military nomenclature, I would think NCIS and USAF OIS are the same). USSS is Sig P228/229 in .357SIG, I believe the FAMs are the same.

My agency is Sig P228/229 in 9mm with 124gr Federal Hydra-Shok.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Central FL

Volusia County SO issues the Glock 35 with Federal Tactical 180gr. 27s are optional for plainclothes, administrative. They're phasing in surplus M16s in place of Mini 14s with Federal 55gr JSP. Everyone else has 870s with Fed OO buck.

Daytona Beach PD issues Glock 17s with 147gr Hydra Shok. I understand there are a couple of officers still approved for revolvers, but I've never seen one. Back in the day they issued 125gr Nyclad +P in .38. They issue M16s received as surplus with Federal TRU 55gr (20 rounds per officer)

All the Troopers around here use Beretta 96s with 180gr Gold Dot.

The Holly Hill PD, the PD that covers the gunshop where I work, issues the 22 or 22C, but allows whatever you choose to qualify with. Only one officer I know of uses the 22C, everyone else the 22. One old Sarge uses the 686 with Remington 125gr .357. Everybody else uses 180gr Gold Dot or Federal Tactical depending on what's in stock when they order. Also 870s with Remington or Federal OO.

The small department where my current FD is located issues the Beretta 92, but allows personally owned in 9 or .40. They issue 147gr Hydra Shok in the 9mm. You're on your own for .40. They have a large stockpile of S&W .4506s, but don't issue them. They have a few 870s (who doesn't) with OO buck.

One other small PD issues Glock 22s and 180gr Remington plain JHP, but allows personally owned. A few of the officers carry the 23. They issue the Kel Tec Sub 2000 in .40 set up for the 22 magazine.

The state prison and county jail have model 15s from S&W with 158gr LRN. The state has some 5906s with 115gr FMJ, the jail has some old 4046s for "special operations" (mostly guarding shelters during hurricaines) They were using FMJ reloads last hurricaine. There are a variety of long guns, mostly AR types and 870s. The state has some 37mm Launchers and Arwen guns, probably the most modern thing in the correctional system.

My old agency, Sig P226/Ranger 147+P
    County SO Glock 22 Don't know the ammo issued.
    My brother is in Corrections, S&W mod 15/ 158 LRN
    and S&W 5906 / FMJ
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Awwwwww you folks are the BEST! Thanks.

Not sure but I read somewhere that the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Texas Rangers were issued the Sig 226 in 357 Sig caliber but the Rangers can carry whatever they want and like Exsoldier said quite a few carry the 1911.

Florida Hyw patrol issues the Beretta in .40 cal. Miami-dade PD is authorised a number of 9mm weapons,... as well as .38's or at least they used to be when I departed S.Florida in 2004.
    The city of Miami uses the Glock 17 in 9mm as does the Florida Marine patrol.
    The Ft. Lauderdale Police Dept. authorizes a number of 9mm, .45, and .38 special revolvers . The issue load in 2004 and I believe it still is is the Remington Golden sabre's,.. 230 for .45, 124 Plus P for the nines and 125 Plus P's for the .38's.
    I do know that the USSS issues the Sigs in .357 Sig as does the Air Marshalls. The USSS uses the 125 Ranger's,.. dont know the Air marshalls load.
    Texas DPS,... the Troopers, uses .357 Sigs and I believe the load is the Gold Dot. I have no independant knowledge on the Rangers.
    The Broward Sheriff's Office allows a number of weapons and calibers but I am not sure what loads and types of weapons are authorized. I did speak to a Pompano Beach Officer before they wen't SO and they were allowed to retain their Glocks when they went and hence, the Sheriffs office allows them since that time.
    For what it's worth, a large number of State Police and Highway patrol now issue the .357 Sig in Glocks and Sigs,... NJ and Pa. Wildlife Officers do as well. Pa. State Police use the Beretta .40's and I believe 180 grain Ranger loads. NJSP still issues the 9mm Sigs in what used to be the 115 Plus P Remington load. Hope all of this useless information helps you in your quest.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Obviously only kids with no behavior problems are admitted to the program.
    Let's hope they stay that way.

I am thinking of the scandals I've read about in the last ten years involving the Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, et al. Cheating rings, theft rings... and these are people who got all the way through the selection process--far fewer slots than there are for police department hiring. They're supposed to be our best-of-the-best, and we find them stealing and cheating.

Issue stuff

I got to shoot with one of the regulars at the range who is a Federal Flight Deck Officer yesterday. Armed ariline pilot. Whole other thread about what he told me, but.... The issue gun is an H&K USP compact in .40, the ammo 180gr Gold Dot. Seems like a lot of penetrating power for inside the plane use. Also the PD in the city where I work, Oak Hill, FL which I forgot to name in the above post, now issues 180gr Federal Tactical in .40 in addition to the 147gr Hydra Shok in 9mm. They got a piggyback on the VCSO contract for ammo. They also switched from plain Federal OO buck to Federal Tactical OO buck in the low recoil load on the same contract.

VIP Member
    Darn... great list!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    I dunno, I gues we are in the minority. My dept. gives us a choice of whatever Sig we want. Caliber, finish, rail or no rail sights... whatever, its our choice. Most guys went with the .40 229r or 226r, and a almost equal amount went with the 220r.
    Just about every other nearby dept. went with Glocks, 22 or 23. A few still use the Beretta 92 and old S&W 4006.
    No matter the gun, I dont know of any Dept. around here that does not use Gold Dot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links