Undercover deputy shot - Page 2

Undercover deputy shot

This is a discussion on Undercover deputy shot within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read quotes from the sheriff that this detective was off-duty at the time, and the sheriff made a statement like, "My guys consider themselves ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I read quotes from the sheriff that this detective was off-duty at the time, and the sheriff made a statement like, "My guys consider themselves always on-duty."

Okay, that's all well-and-good, if they're in a diner when a couple of thugs try to rob it and seem headed toward violence. When it's a traffic infraction, I don't know what makes that so pressing that the off-duty cop doesn't just call it in and have someone on-duty, who's more in "the mindset," go after the guy.

Anyone know what the original infraction was supposed to have been?

If the shooter turns out to not have warrants, and not have been involved in some crime commission just prior to this stop, it could seem more and more like this could be a guy made nervous by what he perceived to be a criminal threat to him.

I guess we have to wait.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Okay, I just read the post above mine, with further details.

I'm thinking that it's looking more like this guy was just some typical criminal scumbag who didn't want to be run in once again for whatever they were gonna get him on.

But I don't like the policy of off-duty cops making stops in unmarked cars. I think it's needless, and increases risk to the officers. Beyond that, it increases risk to the CITIZENS. Think about it.

If you're a citizen and you're nervous about who it might be who's pulling you over, you might decide to drive on to somewhere "safer," i.e. more public, more well lit. It's very possible that the cop might mistake this as "contempt of cop," or even fleeing-and-eluding, and by the time you do stop you might be staring down a few Glock barrels. All because of your justifiable reaction to being pulled over by a non-marked car, occasioned because this cop had to fill his craving for action rather than leaving it to guys who are on shift. (?)

I don't like this Sheriff Jenne. He's the jerk who faked the demonstration about the so-called devastating effects of semi-auto "assault weapons" in that cinder-block shoot. Remember that? And now he's calling a GLOCK a "sophisticated gun"?

VIP Member
    Jenne was a politician that got elected as Sheriff. He was never a LEO. If he had his way, he'd shut down Marham Park Range and just use it for BSO. He is right now under investigation for possible corruption and there is still the question of BSO detectives giving Exceptional Clearences to every case they could so the numbers would go up. Jenne will squeeze any camera time he can to give an image as a great guy to have around as Sheriff.

Born New Haven, CT, December 1, 1946 Education AA degree, Palm Beach Junior College, 1966; BA degree, Florida Atlantic University, 1968; JD degree, Florida State University, 1972; graduate, FBI National Academy and FBI National Executive Institute; graduate, National Sheriffs’ Institute Wife Caroline Children Two Church Episcopal Career Prosecutor, Broward County State Attorney’s Office, 1972; Executive Director, Broward County Charter Commission, 1974; elected County Commissioner and became Commission chairman, 1976; State Senator 1978-1998; Senate Democratic Leader, 1994-1998; appointed Sheriff, 1998; elected Sheriff, 1998, re-elected 2000, 2004, 2006 Military Sergeant, Public Safety Supervisor, US Army Reserve, retired Honors and Affiliations Board of Directors, Florida Sheriffs' Association, 2000, 2003, 2006; chair, Southeast Regional Domestic Security Task Force, 2001-present; former chair, Drug Enforcement Committee; former member, Aviation/Maritime/Special Operations Committee, National Sheriffs’ Association.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Scary stuff... Gotta wonder just what prompted an attempt for a traffic stop in those circumstances. If for only a traffic infraction, I think maybe it was a poor choice for the officer... considering hindsight!

If for a serious felony he witnessed, he's really not in a position to just ignore it.

I do hope the deputy recovers with no serious permanent impairment!

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I reckon he was a dedicated officer who saw someone breaking the law, risking the lives of innocent civilians by his manner of driving and did his job. Yep,... if anyone wasn't aware of it, when you are sworn in as a policeman or Deputy, guese what? Your always " on duty ". Do a large amount of lawmen choose to not become involved in traffic incidents while off duty? Yes,... have I, yes. I have also become involved when someones behavior was that reckless and was putting others at risk. I am distressed that anyone would question why this brave young man would do his job. Yes, he identified himself,... witnesses confirm this. Do I understand civilians concerns over officers using unmarked cars for MV stops? Of course. I dont see in this instance where the Deputy did anything out of policy or failed to convey to the suspect that he was anything but a law enforcement officer.

Of, Peacefulljeff,.... not to single you out but you seem to typify some Floridians with their contempt for a lawman doing his job. I never felt empowered when off duty and stopping anyone. Perosnally, the fewer people I had to deal with in sunny south Florida in any given day, the better. Generally, my take home remained at home due to never ending crashes, disabled motor vehicles, endless questions, " wheres the beach? ", and people driving in a reckless fashion and if your a policeman/deputy, if you see it, your obliged to act. That is what being a lawman is all about.

VIP Member
    Swine, I think it is more a case of specific distrust on a department than general contempt for all LEOs. BSO has been racked by scandal so many times people are wary of them.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

I take back everything I said, it seems the bad guy was in fact a bad guy, and it's a good thing he's off the streets. Too bad the LEO had to pay such a high price to try and make us all a little safer.

Mig,... I can remember acouple of BSO issues,.... mostly their brass and several useless Sheriff's,. one was one of my former Chiefs. The road Deputies on a whole are good, decent coppers just trying to do an impossible job in a god forsaken area. Your gonna have afew bad apples in any job as you know. I just the distinct feeling from that one commentor that it was more of a " personal " issue and that I cannot stand idlely by and say nothing about considering this brave young lad will probable lose his life over doing his job.

If I got pulled over especially at night, by an undercover car and officer, I would probably call 911 and tell them my location and say, I'm not trying to run, but I want to make sure hes the real deal, maybe put my flashers on to signal that I see him. You always hear thats what your supposed to do if at night in the middle of no where, so I would probably just follow that advise.

VIP Member

According to Bloomberg, this does not happen anymore

Update in this case

Gun used in wounding of BSO deputy is traced to first buyer
    Federal agents have arrested a man they say provided the gun used to shoot a BSO deputy.
    Posted on Thu, Aug. 16, 2007Digg it del.icio.us reprint or license print email
    BY ROBBYN MITCHELL
    rmitchell@MiamiHerald.com

BROWARD SHERIFF'S OFFICE
    Broward Sheriff's Office Deputy Maury Hernandez was wounded in a shooting and is hospitalized in critical condition.U.S. attorneys are making a case against a South Florida man who allegedly bought and sold the gun used in the near-fatal shooting of Broward Sheriff's Deputy Maury Hernandez.

Miguel Angel Polanco, of Miami Lakes, was arrested by agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, based on information obtained in an interview he had with BSO homicide investigators Aug. 8, court records show.

ATF Special Agent Carlos Baixauli said Polanco was arrested Monday.

Polanco told investigators he bought the .45-caliber Glock 30 pistol from Big Al's Gun & Pawn, 3300 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd., in Pembroke Park on May 20, while the alleged gunman, David Maldonado, was with him.

The crime report also states it was the second gun purchased at the store for Maldonado, who paid Polanco $350 to buy them, plus the cost of the weapons.

Polanco has been charged with making a false statement to buy a firearm. Polanco was not licensed to sell guns and it is illegal to sell a weapon to someone on probation for a felony, as Maldonado was, authorities said.

Polanco was released Monday after posting bail.

Former shop owner Richard D'Onofrio said he is sure his son and daughter, who currently run Big Al's, followed all the procedures for sale of a firearm.

He explained most gun shops work with law enforcement agencies from time to time to run a trace on a weapon.

''We usually are not told why we are running a trace unless it is a local case then the police may come in to ask questions,'' he said.

Big Al's Gun & Pawn opened in 1989 and expanded to include a gun range in 1994.

As gravely wounded Deputy Maury Hernandez lay in a hospital, investigators searched the Miramar home of David Maldonado and ound its walls decorated with targets from a shooting range.

Hernandez remains in the hospital in critical condition.

D'Onofrio said the shop is committed to doing everything it can to help the police investigation.

Maldonado has been charged with attempted murder. Hernandez remains hospitalized in critical condition.

D'Onofrio, 61, expressed sympathy for the Hernandez family.

''Hopefully, he'll live and make a full recovery,'' he said. ``Attacking a deputy is worse than a civilian attack because it shows no respect for the people who dedicate their lives to our safety.''
    Randy Cain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links