U.S. Dept of Education = head in the sand

U.S. Dept of Education = head in the sand

This is a discussion on U.S. Dept of Education = head in the sand within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To borrow a warning from VCDL (not the source of this information) DUCT TAPE ALERT!! Educators not living in a real world, yet "educate" our ...

Thread: U.S. Dept of Education = head in the sand

Exclamation U.S. Dept of Education = head in the sand

To borrow a warning from VCDL (not the source of this information)

DUCT TAPE ALERT!!

Educators not living in a real world, yet "educate" our children.

I received this as part of a group e-mail and for the purposes of the group, removed identifying information. If anything, this justifies the removal of restrictions for CHP/CHL/CWP/LTC owners on school property. I am not the author of the text below, but did stay at a Holiday Express last night.

[/Rant]

Included below is an incredible story of denial and censorship from the US Department of Education when it comes to the possibility of a 'Beslan' occurring in America . (Beslan is the town in Russia where a school was attacked by Islamist terrorists two years ago, killing over 300 people, mostly children.)

[Begin text]

By way of background, I'm a 23 year veteran of the FBI, having worked terrorism most of that 23 years, as well as being a bomb technician for both the FBI and 2 years prior EOD technician experience in the U.S. Army. I'm currently the "homeland security coordinator" for a mid-west state <deleted> and run their Office of Homeland Security. I've never had the opportunity of meeting Mr. Giduck, but had the opportunity to obtain his book, "Terror at Beslan" from Lt. Col Dave Grossman recently at a threat assessment seminar. Having spent a small amount of time in southern Russia (Sorotov) shortly after the fall of Communism in the mid 90's, training some of their special forces, I found the book both credible, and enlightening.

The value of reading what appears to be the most credible account of what happened, and how it was allowed to happen, I believe, will allow us to better prepare here in Missouri , so that such a tragedy of this magnitude never visits our schools. But something happened to me last week, that causes me to believe that our education system's organizational "denial" of the Beslan tragedy will most assuredly enable such an event to happen here in <mid-west U.S. state> , or someplace else in the U.S.

Last week, from May 10 to 11, I attended a US Dept of Education "Emergency Management for Schools Training" Seminar in St. Louis , Missouri . I was scheduled to give a short presentation on the <U.S. State> Homeland Security perspective of school safety, and had prepared a short power point presentation to support my talk. My opening slide was a photo of your book, and the quote of Col. Grossman's in the forward of the book, to the effect "Every day, millions of parents hug millions of kids, the most precious things on the face of the earth, and then send those kids to school, trusting us to keep them alive. This is the most important thing any society can do: to protect our young." I gave credit to [Lt]Col Grossman and reflected this quote came from your book. I thought it was a fitting opening statement for my talk on school safety. You can imagine my shock when the morning before the talk, Kathy Zantal-Wiener, Director, Emergency Response and Technical Assistance Center , U.S. Department of Education, (the folks hosting the seminar) informed me that she had removed my first slide, and while I could still give my presentation, I could not make any mention of Beslan, as it would cause too much emotional distress for participants. She indicated that it was their policy to not talk about or mention Beslan in any of their seminars.

Ms Zantal-Wiener would hear nothing of my argument on the foolishness and short-slightness of the U.S. Department of Education to take such a position. The inability for the educational community on the national level to engage in meaningful dialogue on the lessons learned at Beslan can only insure that we will repeat those same mistakes here in our country. And while I will write Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings re this issue, I seriously doubt she will ever read my comments.

I would like to thank both John Giduck and [Lt]Col Grossman for the job you do, and for the information you share, that both educates and motivates our first responder and special operation forces here in our country. You are both continuing to do a great service to your country.

Sincerely,

<name deleted>
    Homeland Security Coordinator
    <U.S. State> Office of Homeland Security
    Department of Public Safety
    <ID info removed>

I believe you are incorrect as to the location of their head!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    As I have a son that is about to start public schools, and my feeling on this subject. I will withold comment due to the lack of desire to be banned from this forum.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Wow. I would have refused to even speak. Clearly they don't want to learn anything useful.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I find it appalling but not surprising the censorship to not just your free speech but to the common good exibited in this instance. Personally, I think it should be taken to the media such as Fox News but I see that it could cause you problems.
    It just angers me to no end the liberalism that has infiltrated our public schools and all of public education to the extent that it has and to the detriment of our children and society as a whole. This is just one more instance I see that justifies school vouchers.
    Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

I agree with ExSniper or propose that it is an unique place to keep sand.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

He should have stood up and started his speech....

"Good morning ladies and gentleman. My name is XXX and I am with the FBI and Homeland Security. Today I was going to give a seminar on the safety of our school systems and things we have learned from other countries, but the Dept of Edu has decided that my topics today would cause too much distress to you, so I am not going to be speaking with you today about how to protect our schools and will hand the floor back to those who wear rose colored glasses.

Thank you and have a nice day!"
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    He should have stood up and started his speech....

"Good morning ladies and gentleman. My name is XXX and I am with the FBI and Homeland Security. Today I was going to give a seminar on the safety of our school systems and things we have learned from other countries, but the Dept of Edu has decided that my topics today would cause too much distress to you, so I am not going to be speaking with you today about how to protect our schools and will hand the floor back to those who wear rose colored glasses.

Thank you and have a nice day!"
    That is exactly what I thought when i finished reading the article.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSniper View Post
    I believe you are incorrect as to the location of their head!!!!!
    Yep! Definitely "Condition Brown"!!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

VIP Member
    I am a public-school educator, and while a few of us try not to have our heads in the sand, most of my colleagues do.

Assistant Administrator
    A safe public (well, safer) is an informed public.

To gag any mention of Beslan is like saying - ''don't worry folks - we are here to protect you. We don't want you worrying your silly heads over such things''.

A Beslan is all too possible - and there are lessons to be learned but no - gotta strangle such information.

US D of Ed is hardly doing citizens much of a service - quite the contrary it seems.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This doesn't surprise me. Education in the U.S. has been deteriorating steadily since this worthless department was formed. Kids can still get a decent education, but they now have to work hard for it through independent study. College isn't much better. I actually had a professor who told the class that Nagasaki had no military value.

He seemed shocked when informed by three students (myself included) that not only was it the home of the largest shipyard in the empire of Japan, but home to the Mitsubishi plant that manufactured the torpedoes used at Pearl harbor. He was a blatant "flower child". They're everywhere.

Links