Rookie cop who killed himself removed clip, left bullet in chamber - Page 2

Rookie cop who killed himself removed clip, left bullet in chamber

This is a discussion on Rookie cop who killed himself removed clip, left bullet in chamber within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I have often said, "The unloaded firearm will more likely kill you than a loaded one." This is another example. It is so sad ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    As I have often said, "The unloaded firearm will more likely kill you than a loaded one."

This is another example. It is so sad because it could have so easily been avoided.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

So young. Unfamiliarity with the weapon, perhaps alcohol involved. Real waste. Probably a good kid, willing to fight the good fight, to hold the line. A stupid mistake and the price was paid. Life ain't fair.

Don't point a gun in an unsafe direction. This is rule one for handling guns. The training that this man received was inadequate. I received LEO training and this was the first thing I learned. All guns are treated as if loaded. There are many variations in making a gun safe but most remove the magazine then open the action to display an empty chamber or eject a cartridge, then you point the gun into a barrel full of sand or a safe direction and pull the trigger to release the hammer. If you get in the habit of doing this it helps. If you don't do this every time then you are not safe to handle guns. Keeping guns unloaded is a good idea but having to depend on that is a fallacy. Consider all guns loaded and treat them accordingly. There a blue fake guns for demonstrating such things as disarming an officer, use these.
    Last edited by Sam Douthit; August 15th, 2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Add info
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I wonder how much a role the lack of gun awareness at a young age plays into these accidents. From what I hear most of California discourages gun ownership and it will be more common for people to enter the Police Forces with no or littlle firearms knowledge. This is a sad case.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep. :(

How many of us males as teens have injured ourselves, got our lip busted or eye bruised, or just barely cheated death due to trying ti show out for a piece of tail. Most every one of us, and those who haven't are liars.

- Janq
    He was 23, not a teenager, and 6 months out of the academy. I would imagine fire arm safety is repeatedly drilled into them. He should have known better. At least no one else was killed by his lack of common sense.

I pray his family receives the strength to deal with this tragedy.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like the training that he received was either lacking or he was passed when he didn't need to be.

We all know the basic rules.
    He didn't or if he did he chose to ignore them...meaning that the training wasn't "ingrained" in him as it should have been.

He was not familiar enough with his weapon to understand that just dropping the magazine did NOT make an unloaded gun.

That is a training issue and one that needs to be addressed immediately.

Ignorance and the fact that he was acting the fool cost this young man his life. Even though the blame lies solely with him, if it were me I'd be taking a hard look at the training program that graduates recruits that did'nt know how to properly clear a gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

The San Francisco rookie police officer who accidentally shot himself to death fired his weapon while displaying for a female friend how officers are taught to avoid having their guns used against them, law enforcement authorities said Tuesday.

He explained that there are ways an officer can disable a weapon in close proximity to keep it from being fired.

It apparently was part of a demonstration of the department's "weapons retention" procedures. However, there was still a bullet in the chamber.
    He explained that there are ways an officer can disable a weapon in close proxomity to keep it from being fired.

It's probably better I be quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Even though the blame lies solely with him, if it were me I'd be taking a hard look at the training program that graduates recruits that did'nt know how to properly clear a gun.
    I'm starting to wonder if there's some sort of "No Cop Left Behind" act that we haven't heard about, with this following so closely on the heels of the Oklahoma tree-snake shooting.

This is a good example of why a simulation gun is so crucial when going through certain training.

The local Sheriff's dept. has a "fight" room in which Simunitions and training weaponry are used in force-on-force engagements. Prior to anyone entering into the room, each person is screened, questioned, scanned and wanded. Everyone must empty their pockets. No keys, pencils, cell phones, guns, knives, crud from the pockets ... everything goes. Safety first. The last thing wanted is this sort of ND.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    This isnt a training issue a cop issue or anything else. Mr. Gump explained it all... Stupid is as stupid does.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    This isnt a training issue a cop issue or anything else. Mr. Gump explained it all... Stupid is as stupid does.
    Perhaps...

but even a stupid man can be trained to properly clear a gun...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Perhaps...

but even a stupid man can be trained to properly clear a gun...
    Yes, but a stupid man obviously doesnít do clear the weapon we he should!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    showing off for a female is never safe, (you can almost bet that if your arn't physically injured, at the minimun your pride will be) and the chances that 'liquid courage' was involved are pretty high if you ask me, which makes the situation even more unsafe. Women+Weapons+Booze = never a good combonation... EVER! Althought this is strictly speculation, and at that this is a very sad story.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Moderator
    showing off for a female is never safe
    I dont know about that.

There are times when it can be not only safe, but downright fun...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Famous last words, "Hey guys, watch this."
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links