waaaahhh....we're being mugged....[Wash DC]

This is a discussion on waaaahhh....we're being mugged....[Wash DC] within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0807/447725.html Residents Request Police Presence After Rash of Muggings Washington - Wednesday August 15, 2007 4:22 pm Residents of D.C.'s Ledroit Park and Shaw neighborhoods ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waaaahhh....we're being mugged....[Wash DC]

Post waaaahhh....we're being mugged....[Wash DC]

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0807/447725.html

Residents Request Police Presence After Rash of Muggings
    Washington - Wednesday August 15, 2007 4:22 pm

Residents of D.C.'s Ledroit Park and Shaw neighborhoods are complaining about recent muggings along a stretch Rhode Island Avenue, NW, and calling on police to increase patrols.

Thomas, whose last name we are withholding at his request, had lived in D.C. for less than an hour when he was attacked. It happened as the San Francisco transplant exited the Shaw-Howard University Metro Station last week.

"I hear a yell behind me, I turn around and that's when I get smacked in the head with a pole," said Thomas.

Thomas says he was confronted by two boys, both about 13 years old.

"I say take everything, you can have it and start to back away and then as I back away the other kid runs up to me and hits me again with the metal pole." [So much for "give them what they want--they will leave you alone]

Thomas returned to the scene of the crime Wednesday, posting an open letter to the "kids who mugged" him. He sarcastically thanked them for the concussion he suffered and his self-described newfound fear of the District.

"They were laughing as they hit me. They were laughing as they ran away," Thomas said.

Thomas says his attacker used a three-foot-long pole to batter him. Another victim, Angelo Gomez, says he was menaced with a large knife or machete.

Gomez was walking home from the Shaw Metro Station Sunday night along Rhode Island Avenue when he was confronted by a lone man with what appeared to be a machete.

"He says give me all of your money or I'll kill you right now."

Gomez said he complied and the robber left, but he heard the same voice just seconds later.

"He's mugging somebody else right on the other side," said Gomez, recalling the incident. "He was mugging a second person, a man."

Gomez said he tried to call 911 but was put on hold. As he walked, he ran into a crying woman who said she had just been mugged.

Long-time neighborhood resident David Lippe has a series of e-mails from neighbors reporting muggings along the same stretch of Rhode Island Avenue.

He wants police to take action. [Take care of me!!....]

"Is it going to take somebody being murdered to get the attention that we need, that we keep screaming for?" [How about living in a place where you can defend yourself, nancy?]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    [How about living in a place where you can defend yourself, nancy?]
    and the best line in the whole article wasn't even written by the journalist!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    He wants police to take action. [Take care of me!!....]
    What else can they do, it's been illegal to have a way to defend yourself in DC. Even IF the law banning firearms is overturned, there is NO WAY the city will pass a right-to-carry law anytime soon.

These people are at the criminals will & they are partially to blame for electing & re-electing their oppressors!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

They all should show up at the front door step of mayor Adrian Fenty and/or the residence of DC police chief Cathy Lanier (who doesn't even live in DC but in Anne Arundel county MD) with water noodles and rubber toy knives as well as their letters & printed copies of e-mails in hand and demand they right now provide these residents and those others amongst their community a place to spend the night until they Fenty and Lanier can figure out a way to 1) Reduce the crime situation in DC for real (not just an annualized 2% drop) and 2) Figure out a way to make it so that no one ever is put on hold when they dial 911 (which BTW is a normative occurrence thats been a problem report for decades).

meanwhile Adrian fenty is spending DC time and money toward pressing with his ridiculous and plainly as based on results in his own town wrong assertion that citizens should not and do not have the individual right to protect themselves defensively.

Yes citizens can take up arms Fenty is okay fine with that, just as long as they make like...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq
    I never would have guessed that anyone on here would even know what "Wallace and Grommit" was.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

This is total fiction!
    The District Of Columbia has a Handgun Ban and crime has ceased.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This is total fiction!
    The District Of Columbia has a Handgun Ban and crime has ceased.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Crime doesn't pay? In DC, for criminals it's like picking one from column "A" and one from column "B" at the local buffet restaurant. Crime seems to pay fairly well, there. Heck, they seem to be bumping into one another, like balls in a pachinko machine.

You know what might help change things? Make everything within 1mi of the Capitol building and the surrounding senators' office buildings car-free, requiring all to walk to their final destinations. That might send home the message of just how volatile it is for an average Joe on the streets. It would kill two birds with one stone: reduce the risk of truck bombs to nil, and provide an effective wake-up call to the dolts in suits who occupy our seats of legislative power in this country. Equal protection under the law, I say.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Crime doesn't pay? In DC, for criminals it's like picking one from column "A" and one from column "B" at the local buffet restaurant. Crime seems to pay fairly well, there. Heck, they seem to be bumping into one another, like balls in a pachinko machine.

You know what might help change things? Make everything within 1mi of the Capitol building and the surrounding senators' office buildings car-free, requiring all to walk to their final destinations. That might send home the message of just how volatile it is for an average Joe on the streets. It would kill two birds with one stone: reduce the risk of truck bombs to nil, and provide an effective wake-up call to the dolts in suits who occupy our seats of legislative power in this country. Equal protection under the law, I say.
    +1 I totaly agree.
    Still the guys story irritates me. I don't know about any of you, but if a 13yo comes at me with a pole. I'm gonna %#&@ him up, with or without a gun. A knife is a little different but even when I'm in an area that I can't carry I find different ways to defend myself. I have no sympathy for them at all. Get a can of OC or Pepper spray, it's better than nothing.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Agreed Jo.
    But remember this guy, the one who was mugged, is a native of San Francisco. What are the odds that he's ever raised his hands to do anything but wave at/from a parade or vote yay toward a ban on crime.

Dude didn't and doesn't have a chance.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Gee, I'm shocked!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

That's OK let the little Jerks have their fun....

Hopefully next year, the SCOTUS will hear the Parker case, and all that will change; Perhaps "Thomas" will benefit from actually seeing the err of his ways for voting for all the liberal causes and living in San Francisco.

I say Hopefully.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

But remember this guy, the one who was mugged, is a native of San Francisco. What are the odds that he's ever raised his hands to do anything but wave at/from a parade or vote yay toward a ban on crime.

- Janq

Agreed Jo.

- Janq
    Hey, I know guys in SF that carry concealed - despite the rules. Not everyone from there is easily cowed.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Hey, I know guys in SF that carry concealed - despite the rules. Not everyone from there is easily cowed.
    In most everyones family tree there is an albino to be found if you look hard, deep, and long enough.
    Exceptions and oddities do not defy the rule as established by convention.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links