Airline problem

Airline problem

This is a discussion on Airline problem within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently flew to Atlanta via Midwest Airlines with my Glock 27 .40cal. I followed TSA's rules to the letter: unloaded gun, hard-sided lockable case, ...

Thread: Airline problem

Airline problem

I recently flew to Atlanta via Midwest Airlines with my Glock 27 .40cal. I followed TSA's rules to the letter: unloaded gun, hard-sided lockable case, etc. I had 0 problems flying to Atlanta from Milwaukee. However, the trip from Atlanta to Milwaukee was bad. Here's what happened: As I was at the ticketing gate checking in I told the (new) ticketing agent I had a firearm to declare. She became flustered and asked for help from her more senior partner. They had me fill out a declaration affadavit that stated the gun was unloaded, etc. While I was doing this they put my bag on a conveyer belt to be screened without putting the affadavit in the bag. As I watched my bag go onto the conveyer belt, I yelled, "Doesn't this form need to be in there?!?"
    The ticketing agent said, "OH yes it does." She made a call to the baggage screeners to flag the bag. Meanwhile someone had screened the bag through an X-ray machine and freaked out. It took them an hour to find my bag and get the form declaring the firearm into it. I almost missed my flight home. I also felt lucky my gun didn't get confiscated by some TSA liberal or worse. After this experience, I'm not so sure I want to fly with any more firearms. The moral of the story is: You better know the TSA/FAA rules regarding your guns because the employees sure as hell don't!
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

VIP Member
    Glad it worked out, I have the same fears.

I haven't had any problems so far flying with a rifle and 2 pistols, but recently with all the delays etc. I'm avoiding flying like the plaque.
    ...one jagged hole!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me on an early-morning flight out of Denver a few months ago. I set my bag on the scale, and told the ticket agent I needed to declare a firearm. He handed me the form, which I filled out, then, before I could open my bag to get to the gun-case, he picked it up and threw it on the conveyor! Luckily, I saw him do this, and said "Wait! This needs to go in there!" and he was able to catch it before it went behind the wall.

You're absolutely right - if you're flying with a gun, know the rules, because there's always the chance the ticket agent will screw it up, and leave you holding the bag. It never hurts to have a printed copy of the TSA regs and the airline's regs in your back pocket, just in case the agent tries to strongarm you.

I'm glad it worked out in your case.

This is why we need to fly with our guns more often when legal to do so i.e. departure and destination legal to posses and carry etc.

Allowing the transportation of firearms through the airways to become an anomie rather than the norm will inevitably strip us of our right to do so.

I have never had a problem flying with a firearm, but I do not take my eyes off of my bag until I know that everything has been done by the book...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Max View Post
    This is why we need to fly with our guns more often when legal to do so i.e. departure and destination legal to posses and carry etc.

Allowing the transportation of firearms through the airways to become an anomie rather than the norm will inevitably strip us of our right to do so.
    I agree with you in theory. However, I was flying with my highly annoyed significant other, who couldn't understand why I was flying with my gun in the first place. Sometimes the path of least resistance is the path best traveled. All in all, I don't know if I'll be flying with a gun again.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    However, I was flying with my highly annoyed significant other, who couldn't understand why I was flying with my gun in the first place.

Yep that is a problem...gotta keep the peace at home

Links