Bullet From Oklahoma Police Gun Range Hits Military Veteran a Mile Away [MERGED]

This is a discussion on Bullet From Oklahoma Police Gun Range Hits Military Veteran a Mile Away [MERGED] within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Foxnews ELK CITY, Okla. — A bullet fired from a police gun range hit a military veteran as he stood outside a car dealership almost ...

Thread: Bullet From Oklahoma Police Gun Range Hits Military Veteran a Mile Away [MERGED]

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Bullet From Oklahoma Police Gun Range Hits Military Veteran a Mile Away [MERGED]

Foxnews

ELK CITY, Okla. — A bullet fired from a police gun range hit a military veteran as he stood outside a car dealership almost a mile away, officials said.

"It felt like someone hit me with a ball bat or like a bird struck me in the side," said Bill Bolechala, who had served 24 years in the military including a stint in Vietnam without being wounded.

"I was wiping my left side because it kind of hurt, and when I looked down, I had blood all over me," he said.

Bolechala was treated at a hospital after being shot Tuesday and was released later in the day. He said the doctors left the bullet in his side, between his ribs and hip, but will remove it if the wound becomes infected.

Elk City Police Chief Bill Putnam said the bullet must have ricocheted off a metal frame that holds targets at the gun range. The range has a protective berm, but the bullet must have gone over it, he said.

"It was one of those fluke deals," Putnam said Wednesday. "I'm glad he wasn't hurt any worse than he was. We've been using that range for at least 30 years and we've never had a bullet get out of there and cause any damage."

He said he plans to replace the metal target frames with wooden ones.

Bolechala, a city councilman from nearby Burns Flat, said he has no ill-will toward the police, who told him they will pay medical bills related to the shooting. He said he has no plans to sue.
    This is nothing but accidental (unless someone was goofing off at the range), it's just a shame someone was hurt.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

The chances of that happening seem almost impossible...but that's why we have so many 'cautions' about dealing with weapons...
    Very strange, for sure...
    Glad the unintended 'target' survived...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Foxnews

This is nothing but accidental (unless someone was goofing off at the range), it's just a shame someone was hurt.
    Almost a mile with enough force to wound *after* being deflected enough to miss a (presumably) properly constructed berm? What were they shooting, a cannon?

Though the statement that it felt like "a bird struck me" or being "hit with a ball bat" is a little odd too; either he's thinking of really light fluffy ball bats or really hard heavy birds to equate the two.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    What are the odds, he should buy a lottery ticket.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    Almost a mile with enough force to wound *after* being deflected enough to miss a (presumably) properly constructed berm? What were they shooting, a cannon?

Though the statement that it felt like "a bird struck me" or being "hit with a ball bat" is a little odd too; either he's thinking of really light fluffy ball bats or really hard heavy birds to equate the two.
    Bird strikes can knock the wind out of you if you're on a bike - my stepfather almost blacked out once after taking a pigeon on the jaw at 70 mph.

Hate to see this

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Bolechala, a city councilman from nearby Burns Flat, said he has no ill-will toward the police, who told him they will pay medical bills related to the shooting. He said he has no plans to sue.

We need more people like this in our country. I live in Madison County, Illinois. We are the proud holder of the sue happy capital of the World.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

VIP Member
    Merged threads into this one...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    A total example of absolute fluke occurrence - the odds are massive. Glad the guy is otherwise OK.

the doctors left the bullet in his side, between his ribs and hip, but will remove it if the wound becomes infected.
    Surprised at that - assuming depth fairly shallow the first thing I'd expect is remove the sucker, and get good healing. May be missing something but - that would be priority for me!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Lead Moderator
    merged this thread as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Ricocheted? I dunno... I'd believe ND though!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Refreshing to see someone NOT get lawyers and turn this into an "I won the lottery" issue.

Links