I had lunch with a Maryland State Police Trooper

This is a discussion on I had lunch with a Maryland State Police Trooper within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wfie and a buddy of mine where at lunch today, when a friend of his walked in, out of uniform. My buddy is getting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wfie and a buddy of mine where at lunch today, when a friend of his walked in, out of uniform. My buddy is getting ready to move back to Tennessee, and was talking about getting his permit as soon as he got there. This lead to us talking about Maryland's gun laws... and I had no idea the other guy at the table was a MSP officer.

So I was bitching about how just about every time I go to the range, I wind up breaking the law. Sure, I carry unloaded and in a locked case, but I also make some stops... food, gas, milk and bread... whatever... and any one of those stops could put me in jail for 3 years.

My buddy Jeff looks at the guy and says... Bob, your a State trooper... would you bust someone for just having a gun. His reply... "Sure will, I do it all the time. Just about every time I stop a trucker, first thing I ask is if they have a gun in the truck, if they say yes I arrest them on the spot." I was like "your kidding, right?", and he was like "nope... it's my job, it's what I do... doesn't matter how I feel about it."

I kind of dropped the issue... are took things more towards deer hunting but I was thinking of a 1000 questions, like what about the federal law, and why would you even ask, and don't the driver understand they are not required to answer that question...

gawd I hate this states gun laws.

M2
    Move to Texas...I used to live in Laurel and Glen Burnie. It's a nice area, but I like the gun laws...and weather...and tax rates...plus a million other things in Texas better.

Cheers! M2

Assistant Administrator
    Doesn't seem like a too gun-friendly guy

Sure he has to do his job but it'd be nice to hear something like ''I have to do my job but it doesn't sit well''. Not very reassuring at all.

It's the stringency of MD gun laws that really rattles my cage. Now with recent WV reciprocity announcement I am surrounded by ''friendlies'' to my West and SW ..... (OK forget about ''out east!) ..... but heck, MD seriously ''gets in the way'' if I want to go south, even trying to use the ''narrow bit'' of MD to reach VA.

My option now tho is, despite mileage aspects - to head west and run down thru WV to get to VA. I am a stubborn old phart and will not be disarmed if I can legally prevent it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

His reply... "Sure will, I do it all the time. Just about every time I stop a trucker, first thing I ask is if they have a gun in the truck, if they say yes I arrest them on the spot." I was like "your kidding, right?", and he was like "nope... it's my job, it's what I do... doesn't matter how I feel about it."
    he's trying to play it both ways. you can't pretend to be unbiased in application of the law, when the "first thing he does is ask them if they have a gun."

bad cop on a power trip.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

I don't know, wile Jeff was talking about getting his permit, Bob... the MSP officer was all for it...

I'm just glad I decided not to go to the range today, if I would have my XD9 would have been behind my truck seat.

Now that could have been awkward, because I might have said "Here I am at lunch, risking going to jail for 3 years because I have a gun out in my truck... so Bob, what do you do for a living?"

I am going to the Range tomorrow, and I am stopping by Bass Pro for ammo... but I'm not planing on having lunch with any strangers.

he's trying to play it both ways. you can't pretend to be unbiased in application of the law, when the "first thing he does is ask them if they have a gun."
    He was all for your friend gettin his CHL, But askes every trucker if he has a gun?? HMMMMM....Sounds to me like he just wants to make an arrest. If he was cool about ppl carrying, he wouldnt ask. I understands that he has a job to do but he can get around that part of it by just not asking everyone. I drove a truck for a while and let me teell you.....with all the bad areas and even the good, every trucker that can legally own one, should be able to carry it. I have known and talked to many truckers that have been robbed/mugged/beaten etc....
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    So I was bitching about how just about every time I go to the range, I wind up breaking the law. Sure, I carry unloaded and in a locked case, but I also make some stops... food, gas, milk and bread... whatever... and any one of those stops could put me in jail for 3 years.
    When you go to the range do you ever use the BW Parkway?

Just to add something to THIS conversation, I found out that I was inadvertently breaking Federal law. The BW Parkway is listed as a "national park", meaning that no weapons allowed at all! I had always just thought of it as another "public" road till someone in a local gun club pointed that out. The same applies to the GW Parkway in Virginia.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I got the impression the guy was a "Buy the book" type... you know the type I'm talking about... write you up for 64 in a 60, doesn't care that your wife is in labor... have a nice day.

As for the Parkway, yes, sometime I do take the parkway with my firearm. I never thought about it being a National Park.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    When you go to the range do you ever use the BW Parkway?

Just to add something to THIS conversation, I found out that I was inadvertently breaking Federal law. The BW Parkway is listed as a "national park", meaning that no weapons allowed at all! I had always just thought of it as another "public" road till someone in a local gun club pointed that out. The same applies to the GW Parkway in Virginia.
    ouch...same reason I don't drive the Blue Ridge parkway in VA anymore.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Deacon51, I think the MSP guy you were talking to was a "commercial vehicle enforcement" guy (we call them "trucker @#$^ers" here lol). I don't know about the practice standards in MD, but here in AZ we have a whole unit with our DPS that does nothing but commercial truck enforcement. And, if I remember correctly, it is illegal for the driver of a commercial vehicle to be armed in any way (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). If he is commercial enforcement, they are used to writing up people for each and every thing wrong with the vehicle, the driver and anything that they do or don't do.

As far as asking if someone has a firearm in a vehicle -- I guess it might surprise some people on here -- that's standard practice by any LEO. One of the standardized questions by LEOs is whether you have any weapons or illegal drugs in the vehicle. Not entirely sure why. It could be to cause a "spontaneous utterance" like "how fast do you think you were going?" (to have an idiot readily admit guilt to speeding). It could also be to stab a knife into your credibility in court if they do find them in the vehicle and you already lied to them. I think a LEO could best answer that one, but it's standard practice by most if not all of them.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    And, if I remember correctly, it is illegal for the driver of a commercial vehicle to be armed in any way (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).
    There is no federal law or regulation prohibiting a commercial trucker from having a firearm in his vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    ...The BW Parkway is listed as a "national park", meaning that no weapons allowed at all! I had always just thought of it as another "public" road till someone in a local gun club pointed that out. The same applies to the GW Parkway in Virginia.
    Yep! ^^

Same applies to IIRC the Clara Barton Parkway on the VA side as well.

As to a MD cop upon being asked do you have a firearm in your vehicle all one has to say is yes I'm heading home from the range or from home going to the range. Do not say you are going or coming from anywhere else but home, and do not be stopped at a gas station or mall or 7-11 parking lot or else you're done.

For a trucker they cannot answer that question as same because they are in a commercial vehicle and on the job obviously not heading to or from a range. Not answering the question is legal but then that gives the officer probable cause to inspect your vehicle which then has it's own can of worms and snakes associated to it.

MD state firearm laws have the suck.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Not answering the question is legal but then that gives the officer probable cause to inspect your vehicle w
    Unless that is law in the specific state you are in, saying NO to a search is NOT probable cause and no legal justification for a search.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Unless that is law in the specific state you are in, saying NO to a search is NOT probable cause and no legal justification for a search.
    The subject matter is toward the state of MD.

They will if you refuse to answer the question take further action under probable cause, in MD.
    Worst if you lie and they later decide to inspect your rig (as is normative with commercial rigs) and they discover even a cased and locked firearm you will be in as they say deep doo doo.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Man.. I love this state...

MARYLAND CRIMINAL LAW CODE

§ 4-206. Limited search, seizure, and arrest.

(a) Limited search.-

(1) A law enforcement officer may make an inquiry and conduct a limited search of a person under paragraph (2) of this subsection if the officer, in light of the officer's observations, information, and experience, reasonably believes that:

(i) the person may be wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun in violation of § 4-203 of this subtitle;

(ii) because the person possesses a handgun, the person is or presently may be dangerous to the officer or to others;

(iii) under the circumstances, it is impracticable to obtain a search warrant; and

(iv) to protect the officer or others, swift measures are necessary to discover whether the person is wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun.

(2) If the circumstances specified under paragraph (1) of this subsection exist, a law enforcement officer:

(i) may approach the person and announce the officer's status as a law enforcement officer;

(ii) may request the name and address of the person;

(iii) if the person is in a vehicle, may request the person's license to operate the vehicle and the registration of the vehicle;

(iv) may ask any question and request any explanation that may be reasonably calculated to determine whether the person is unlawfully wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun in violation of § 4-203 of this subtitle; and

(v) if the person does not offer an explanation that dispels the officer's reasonable beliefs described in paragraph (1) of this subsection, may conduct a search of the person limited to a patting or frisking of the person's clothing in search of a handgun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links