Guns With No Clips?

This is a discussion on Guns With No Clips? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was Chili's yesterday with my two sons for a guys lunch and afternoon. As we walked in I noticed a guy with a black ...

Thread: Guns With No Clips?

Guns With No Clips?

I was Chili's yesterday with my two sons for a guys lunch and afternoon. As we walked in I noticed a guy with a black vest that had "U.S. Probations" on the back.

I immediately started looking around and noticed that the people that he was with were wearing FLETC t-shirts. Then I started checking out thier sidearms.

I had to do a double take, because some of them had empty holsters and the others had guns with no clips. My curiousity overtook me and I leaned over to one of the ladies and asked "Why are carrying with no magazine?"

I figured the answer was that they were in training but not yet commissioned our something of that sort. Well, the lady looked at me with a look of total shock and didn't say anything. I wanted to lean forward a whisper Boo! Instead, I repeated my question.

That was when another lady piped up and said "Oh we've just finished shooting the range." As I was trying to process the answer for it's relevance I was thinking that I have never left the range without a loaded gun on my side.

My guess is that they were all still in training and were not allowed to carry loaded sidearms in public. I almost pressed for a better answer but figured it was pointless. Anyone here have other thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    No idea as to the ''why'' .......... but carrying a lightweight rock is not much use for SD!

I only have my SIG without mag when in gun club clubhouse - a club rule.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    No idea as to the ''why'' .......... but carrying a lightweight rock is not much use for SD!
    A very expensive rock at that.

That's as bad as seeing the security with empty holsters or no mags. Part of me would have liked to see her stumble over the question "what are you planning to use it for with no bullets?"

Isn't OC permitted in NM?

OC is permitted in NM. That was part of why I was surprised. They still should have been able to carry unless there was a governing policy from their agency that superceded individual rights guaranteed byt he constitution.

Administrator
    That's very odd...new one on me???

...or maybe it was a condition of employment (something like: "you guys won't carry, despite what the law says, until you complete training").....a CYA statement...maybe they don't want "trainees" to have a ND in town.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ...or maybe it was a condition of employment (something like: "you guys won't carry, despite what the law says, until you complete training").....a CYA statement...maybe they don't want "trainees" to have a ND in town.
    Ding! Ding! Winner. You are correct in their training requirement.

VIP Member
    Trainees, by and large, aren't allowed to carry, period. When I was at FLETC as a student, all of the weapons were kept under lock and key when not in use. You aren't issued a weapon until you complete not only FLETC, but also your agency's training as well - the gun comes with the creds. I can't speak to all the groups that train at FLETC, but none that I know of allow their trainees to carry a firearm (loaded or not, magazine in or not) out into town.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Links