Bakersfield police cleared in firing 62 shots at man - Page 2

Bakersfield police cleared in firing 62 shots at man

This is a discussion on Bakersfield police cleared in firing 62 shots at man within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To expand on the whole "excessive" force thing, when face to face with this sort of situation, you have no idea how many shots you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bakersfield police cleared in firing 62 shots at man

Administrator
    To expand on the whole "excessive" force thing, when face to face with this sort of situation, you have no idea how many shots you fired or if any of them hit or not. Yes, I know, you should count your shot blah blah blah... but it doesnt really work that way in the real world.
    So, my point in blabbering on about this is, you are taught to keep shooting until the threat is gone for a reason.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    It could have been dark and they couldnt tell if he was being hit or not..sometimes people dont drop immediatley like is seen on TV.

The dude could have been on some mind altering drug and not even have reaized he was being filled with holes.

Its hard to say what exactly happened.

One thing is for sure....
    HE wont be doing that again....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Kern County is not liberal California.

I'm glad to see that Bakersfield (and the rest of Kern County) are still not "liberal", like most the other large cities in California. I haven't lived there in quite a while, but when I was there the Sheriff was on the news and basically said, if you are driving around the county at night and don't have a gun you are just asking for trouble. If you don't have a permit, come by his office and get one! That's not "California", that's common sense.

While I lived there, the biggest problem we were having was criminals coming up from LA. We would have high-speed chases that started south of there and they end in Kern county. Most of them ended badly for the bad guys. There were several incidents that I thought were probably excessive but they were ruled as justified and I wasn't there so I don't know. What I do know is that every single one of those suspects had committed numerous crimes before they got to Kern County, and none of them committed any after!

I'll be the odd man out on this....but not too far out, mind you.

I have no problem with a waste of space like this receiving the inevitable result of his pathological stupidity... However, the issue of "contagious fire" DOES concern me. 11 cops and over 100 rounds fired to nail one turd... Seems like a case of poor on-the-scene leadership to me. In cases like this, when the perp is surrounded there is no need for every swingin' "nightstick" cop to have their weapons drawn. Contagious fire led to the tragic death of a police dog Video here...Graphic/Language (...oh and somebody's "baby daddy" gets capped too, no tragedy in that though...)

While fully realizing the right and desire of every officer at the scene to see their family at the end of each shift, cases like this should be handled by the senior officer ensuring that everyone has good cover and designating 3~5 as the "shooters" and having everyone else holster their weapons. There is no need for 10+ officers to draw down on one idiot, especially when they are contained.
    Last edited by BushidoMarine; September 8th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    ... Contagious fire led to the tragic death of a police dog Video here...Graphic/Language (...oh and somebody's "baby daddy" gets capped too, no tragedy in that though...)
    That was extremely fast contagion! The shots started and ended probably quicker than many could make the decision to fire. Let alone, decide to fire, fire, then decide to stop firing and actually stop.

Shame for the dog.

Administrator
    I cant disagree with you Marine... I just wish there is time to plan out who is going to do the shootin, who is going to run the radio, who is going to command, who is going to use less lethal, whos going to document, who is going to get tea afterwards- you get my point
    I'm sure.
    In a perfect world yeah, your right. But in a perfect world we wouldnt even need to discuss this. I guess the world isnt perfect afterall.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    However, the issue of "contagious fire" DOES concern me. 11 cops and over 100 rounds fired to nail one turd... Seems like a case of poor on-the-scene leadership to me. In cases like this, when the perp is surrounded there is no need for every swingin' "nightstick" cop to have their weapons drawn.
    Nice thought. Would you want to be on scene as an officer and told not to draw your gun? I , would rather trust myself to stop the threat , rather than rely on anyone else to do so.
    Also, as Sixto pointed out, things happen fast.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

After a 30 day investigation into this shooting I am way satisfied too. Good job protecting domestic tranquility BPD. We are very proud of you. My daughter was born in Bakersfield! --RM

Aw, what the heck, he won't lay down, weigh 'im down with lead. When it hits the fan, it hits fast.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

The only thing I would be pissed about is the cost of bullets these days.

Shoot till your sure. Then worry about the budget later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links