Anyone else feel offended when civvies make Military jokes? - Page 3

Anyone else feel offended when civvies make Military jokes?

This is a discussion on Anyone else feel offended when civvies make Military jokes? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think this topic is all about ATTITUDE and how you CHOOSE to respond.When someone takes a shot with words at anything at all whether ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think this topic is all about ATTITUDE and how you CHOOSE to respond.When someone takes a shot with words at anything at all whether its a military joke or a statement about a certain subject, our response to these things is what will guide the conversation and set boundaries.

Just using myself as an example, when someone says something that I just dont agree with or think is absolutely offensive, I refuse to
    respond to it. I am not rude and I dont give anyone a fish-eyed look,
    but this blankness gives an awkward feeling to the person and will
    usually curb the conversation into a different direction, which sets
    a boundary (doesnt always work, but will still set it up for the
    following). If you choose to counter with something positive about
    why you disagree, and choose words that will present your stance in
    a non-threatening manner, thats the best bet to agreeing to disagree
    without confrontation. It may also prevent the other person from
    feeling that you are saying your view is better than theirs.

As for the military cracks that get under our skin and make us
    "steamed", to each his own, but rather than trying to change their
    view, find the logic and reason in their stance and present your
    own view in a non-aggressive and reasonable fashion.

These techniques have helped me stay out of HEATED arguments that were bound for conflict cause they irritated the crap outta me. Just me 2 cents. :)
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I had over 15 years to learn to be insulting to people, like superior officers, without ever actually saying anything that could be acted upon. I'm pretty good at it and he would have gotten everything I've got.
    That's pretty funny. I never mastered that, and my LT had no problem nailing me for calling him an idiot. So I cleaned every nook and cranny of our building, which did nothing to prove that he wasn't an idiot, only that he outranked me.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Someone who has never served doesn't bother me when they tell a joke about the military. If I feel it was a dig on me or the AF then I always ask them where they served in XYZ branch. That will usually shut them up real quick and they get the point.

Joking is joking and there are no issues. Making a dig towards any branch/active duty/veteran/ is a NO-NO
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Senior Moderator
    I guess it depends on the joke.

ie..... What's long and hard and full of seaman?

I never say One branch is better or worse than another or tougher etc...
    Last edited by pgrass101; September 10th, 2007 at 04:08 PM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Some stuff is just plain funny whether it comes from a civilian or a soldier.

The Navy takes the Marines to the fight, the Army occupies the area, and the Air Force takes credit for the whole thing.

Heard the above from both military and civilian and was just as funny. Too many people get offended over silly things these days. A lot of us need to get thick skin.

fortunately, we are living in an era where most respect the military. when they do not, i think reactions should be situational. but, in general, i tend to look at folks saying distasteful things about the military as a testament to their success. if the military didn't do such an effective job over the past 200+ years, they wouldn't be free to voice those opinions.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

M2
    I work for the DoD and I love cracking on the military, especially in front of young pups who get all offended and don't know that the long-haired, bearded Ted Nugent-looking fellow giving them a hard time spent nearly 25 years in uniform! Then I enjoy the look on their face when they find out!

I enjoy a good laugh and take the Carlos Mencia approach to it...people who don't like jokes need to be made fun of!

Cheers! M2

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I spent my time in the Navy (10 years) on submarines. Sounds like a safe job, but we had our crap to deal with just like everybody else in the military does. In my opinion imploding at test depth is just as lousy of a way to die as burning in on an aircraft or getting shot, it turns out there really is no "cool" way to die...your dead. As far as those that have not served joking, I have no problem with that. Human nature is to mock what is not understood. Besides, if you cannot laugh at yourself you are probably wound a little too tight. HOWEVER...ANY attempt to downplay any type of service (including Reserve and National Guard) is met with quick and HARSH retaliation. (Remember the 10 years on subs...we don't have much to do besides bag on each other.) Generally leaving the non-serving ninny wishing they had joined just to be able to handle their recent round of verbal abuse. I generally refer to them being home, how to put this without getting a nasty from mods...manually stimulating their female domesticated feline companion, (PM me if you are interested in the quote) while I was defending their rights to do so.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Actually...how someone responds to a less then flattering military joke could be very telling about how they might respond to a hostile provocation while carrying concealed?

If the telling of a silly joke ticks me off enough that I end up in fisticuffs with that person, then I probably shouldn't be entrusted with carrying a concealed handgun!
    Last edited by Creature; September 10th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.

I was an infantry officer and an armor officer. 14 years between active and reserve. I married into a family of Marines. FIL holds the Navy Cross from WWII. We rip each others service right and left, but I'm so proud of his heroism I could bust.

I'm really easy going about this stuff. Lot's of military experiences have crossover apps to the civvie world:
    Hurry up and wait.

SNAFU, FUBAR, & BOHICA

I got some buddies that are REAL proud of their Ranger Tabs. I have seen them walk around a mall in a civvie town and spot some slimebag wearing a Ranger T-Shirt with that big black & gold tab on it. They'll walk up and ask: "You a Ranger, ever? How about your Daddy, brother, uncle or cousin?" If they get an affirmative to anything family no matter how remote. It's a polite nod and walk on....BUT....let some hairball stutter: "Nawwww DUDE, I just think it's a cool T-Shirt!" They're liable to find themselves with a t-shirt in tatters. Ripped right off their body. Not saying that it's right. But folks have been known to die in Ranger School. Just training. I know folks who've seen some bloody combat remark it was almost as tough as Ranger School. You get that tab, it really means something to any soldier. I don't have one. I never wear anything I didn't earn.

You know what I really admire? The comraderie of MARINES. I remember being in this really seedy bar when I was someplace on TDY (Temporary Duty) with the army. This really old guy is gettin' hassled bad by a bunch of punks. He tries to avoid a conflict, but pushed too far he HOLLERS "SEMPER FI!!!" I swear at least 90 guys rose to their feet from all corners of the room and started moving in his direction. They didn't know him. They weren't even born when he served. But by G_D a brother Marine was in trouble....Gave me goose bumps then. Does the same now, just the memory. Needless to say those punks lit out for safer harbor. Those marines spent the rest of the evening with that old guy, swapping stories and drinking. You get close enough to the old guy you can see the tattoo, on his forearm...faded but distinguishable as the fabled "Globe & Anchor." I like marines. I tease 'em a lot. But I like 'em.

I forgive civilians. Know why? When I took the oath of office as a commissioned officer. I figured if the need arose to lay down my life doing the job, I was doin' so for everybody in this country. That means Democrats, Republicans, liberals, conservatives, communists and neo-nazis. I don't care how you identify. I don't care if you respect me or not. It has nothing to do with individuals. It's my decision to give for you, as a part of the nation I swore to protect and defend.

BTW, I don't figure that mission has changed or ended when I left the military. Now, I'm an older sheepdog. I still ride to the smell of gunsmoke just like the kids. If my country needs me in ANY capacity, I'm there for her. That includes my ccw in an emergency such as a terror attack.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Hey Ex...

you forgot DILIGAF and TARFU.

Actually...how someone responds to a less then flattering military joke could be very telling about how they might respond to a hostile provocation while carrying concealed?
    I dont know about that. I know one very testy Marine that hates Marine jokes...but I dont think he'd shoot anyone over it.

My BIL was an E-9 in the Air Force. I wear him out about having a gazillion medals....and how they get them just for showing up to work on time 30 consecutive days at a time.

A good friend of mine is in the Coast Guard. He gets medals for being quailifed in certain things or for training. He is also an ex Navy Vietnam Vet, so he has an impressive array of stff on his chest. I wear him out because I can.

My brother is a Captain in the Air Force over in Germany. He has also been in the Army and Navy and served in Desert Sheidl,Storm and whatever its called now. Since hes been in 3 services, I joke about it all the time.

My little sis retired as a E-7 in the Air Force. I dont harrass her much because she's pretty sensitive about it.

Of course they all wear me out about me serving in the Navy. I dont get upset...its all in good fun. The key is to know what to say to who and to know when to quit.

There are alot of insecure,overly emotional people that worry too much about stuff that dont matter. They usually dont understand that its much ado about nothing.

As for me, I respect the fact that you served your country and the particular branch of service is irrevelant. We all salute the same flag and Im sure that if any were required to bleed that they would have done it without hesitation. That makes us all Brother and Sister to the end.

Heck...if I didnt like ya, I wouldnt mess with ya...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    OK, here is a Civilian with his opinion:

Are you guys gonna quit whinning or what? If we tell military jokes (WE defined as civilian members of the board) is because we get them! And the reason we get them is because we, in some degree have learned the inside and the insight of military life and sacrifice it takes in at least in a miniscule way. And BTW that also applies to Cop Jokes.

Yes, unless we were "there" we won't get it. Probably right, probably we won't "get it" all the way but we side with you, respect you and admire you. We are not some slobbering hippy punks out to "get you" but people that appreciate what you have done and do.

Don't sell us short.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    If we tell military jokes (WE defined as civilian members of the board) is because we get them! And the reason we get them is because we, in some degree have learned the inside and the insight of military life and sacrifice it takes in at least in a miniscule way.
    Well, maybe... but more likely you THINK you "get it".

You can't REALLY undertand why the other services make fun of the AF until you've been on the airbase at Balad, Iraq (LSA Anaconda):

Army side: walking around with full battle-rattle every day, carrying your weapon and ammo ready for a sudden attack even when in the latrine, showering out of an improvised hot water heater, living in a tent on a cot, eating what Army cooks prepare out of an MKT.

AF side: take the shuttle bus (AF operated) over to the AF side, where the PX, Burger King and Pizza Hut are set up, and see AF people walking around in civilian clothes or PT gear, no weapons, no armor living in Iraqi AF barracks with running water and AC. This the day after the insurgents dropped a mortar round on the gym tent. They also has chow halls operated by KBR: no Army chow for them, and no KP!

Even after I describe it you really can't understand the difference unless you live it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

VIP Member
    OK, we don't get it. If it makes you feel better we shall keep our mouths shut. It sure brings back lots of memories from my childhood and youth.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    OK, we don't get it. If it makes you feel better we shall keep our mouths shut. It sure brings back lots of memories from my childhood and youth.
    Well, no. That's not what I meant.

The only time I get upset is when someone who has never served bashes someone over being AF or a Coastie instead of a Marine or something. Soldiers can bash Airmen for being effeminate, and Airmen can bash Soldiers for being dumb... but civilians should stay out of it. I bash my brother over being a Marine, he gets me sometimes (when he can think of a joke) about "merely" being a Soldier, and a Tanker at that (he's an Infantry officer)... and we both pile on the Navy over stenciling their names on their backsides. However, saying "Why'd you join the AF instead of a real man's service like the USMC?" when you yourself have joined neither is just stupid.

The funny little jokes, like about the Marines looking for alligator shoes on the feet of alligators, are OK for civilians to pass along IMO. Just don't think that you REALLY understand them... it's kinda like geek jokes about particle physics. You might "get it" but do you "GET IT"?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links