Anyone else feel offended when civvies make Military jokes?

This is a discussion on Anyone else feel offended when civvies make Military jokes? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe I'm alone and someone set me straight if I'm being too uptight, but I don't find it very funny when someone who has no ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else feel offended when civvies make Military jokes?

Anyone else feel offended when civvies make Military jokes?

Maybe I'm alone and someone set me straight if I'm being too uptight, but I don't find it very funny when someone who has no idea what we're all about tells a military joke. I have a hard time telling if they are repeating a joke they thought was funny or take a jab they think is funny. I guess like a white guy saying the "N" word, he may just be trying to fit in with the black guys, or he might be a jerk.

Marine tells me I'm soft and spoiled for having been Air Force: Funny.

Opinionated guy at work who has never served at all tells me I'm soft for not having the nads to be a Marine: I wanna punch him.

Even repeating classic military jokes, I have a hard time finding them funny when coming from a civilian. Maybe not offended, but still not funny. Military spouses get some leeway.

Sorry for ranting.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Never thought too much about it. I guess it wouldn't bother me much and didn't when I was in service.

I never do it as a civvie. Never. My evil BIL did, but he was a total jerk ANYWAY.

I do enjoy them, but never repeat them. Why? I have no frame of reference to do so.

Have you ever told a lawyer joke? a doctor joke? You probably don't know anything about those professions.

I have never been in the military but I joke about everything.

I believe that we all need to be able to laugh at ourselves.

I also believe that most of the time, you can tell whether the person telling the joke is just trying to spread some laughter or is mean spirited.

I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt but if I determine that the joke teller is truely trying to malign our brave soldiers, I won't tolerate that.

Your point about the "N" word is a sore point to me. It is either a taboo word or it isn't. If I can't say it; no one should say it regardless of their race.

That's also my view on jokes: if it ain't proper for me to tell 'em; it ain' proper for you to tell 'em.

Just my 2 cents.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    I haven't met a civilian that could tell a good military joke from a bad one. The Marine versus Army versus the Air Force versus the Navy thing has been going on since "dirt was young", but when faced with a common foe we're all still brothers in the American military family.
    Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today. James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Have you ever told a lawyer joke? a doctor joke? You probably don't know anything about those professions.
    You have a very good point here. I also joke about everything. Now that I think about though, while I make lawyer jokes, I don't tell them to lawyers. simply because they might not be taken well.
    Hmmm. Somebody set my head straight.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Military, doctor, lawyer, etc. jokes...are only funny because there is some truth to their ring...
    As a school administrator...there were many jokes about that position...I was able to laugh along with the crowd...lighten up!
    Military jokes? I spent my time in the military, the funny situations hold true...sharing and laughing makes life easier...lighten up!
    Lawyer jokes? Well, I've had plenty to do with lawyers...sharks?, why yes, but when I want a good lawyer, I try to hire a 'ruthless, cruel, shark!'

OMO yours may vary...Ignore the guy at work...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post

Opinionated guy at work who has never served at all tells me I'm soft for not having the nads to be a Marine: I wanna punch him.

Sorry for ranting.
    In this case I would hope he was doing it in front of a crowd..... So I could make a point of reminding him of his "service" publicly, that should shut him up!

Other than that I just usually just consider the source.

"Want-to-bees" bother me a lot more!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Doesn't bother me. I just consider the fact that they are ignorant of military life. And, as PaulG stated, we've probably all told lawyer jokes. I edited this to add that, should anyone decide to punch someone out for telling jokes, it could be used by the anti's. "Look at this guy, he got violent over a joke. Do we really want him carrying weapons?" During these times we must take the high road and give as little ammo to the anti's as possible.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post

...Military spouses get some leeway.

Sorry for ranting.
    I think I would punch the guy at work. Make sure you point out that he must really be a wuss since he didnt do anything but flip burgers at McD's during those years.

Jokes are jokes, but the person telling the joke needs to understand it in the first place to make it funny.

Some military spouses do get under my skin, by living in their spouses wake. Dont get me wrong, they put up with a lot and do a lot for everyone that should be respected. The ones who act as if they were in the trenches themselves get me.
    Some cops wives are the same way. That really angers me. One I know even has a vanity plate on her car, so other LEO's will know she is a cops wife. When I met her, she made it a point to go out to the driveway to show me her plate... so I knew. Stupid. I've run into military spouses that do the same garbage.
    I guess it gets to me that here is someone trying to benefit from their spouses service, but obviously doesnt understand what its all about. That they dont understand, and nobody put their foot down and told them is ashame.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think it would depend on the intent. Is it told to spread good natured humor or as a "dig". My hubby was a Marine, my father Navy, one brother Air Force, the other Navy. I spent 15 years on a Metro Fire Department working with many ex military. I respect them all and any "joke" told is in good natured humor. The fire department is a para military group. I DO have some understanding of the military. You can't be too sensitive about it, but if a guy is disrespecting you and the military...you have a right to be offended, no matter whether he was in the military or not.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Joke away. I spent 24 years in the Army and Air Force and none of them bother me. Occasionally I have gotten a snide remark postured as a joke - I just ignore them - some people are just stupid.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I have spent over 10 years in the Air Force. When I hear folks that never served tell military jokes, some are actually funny, but some show their true ignorance. I do enjoy a good joke though!!!Keep em coming...

I view all jokes, regardless of subject matter, as just that.......Jokes. Far too many people take things incredibly too seriously. Even if it is a slight "dig" on your chosen profession, there is really no harm done. Nothing has changed. Whether they chose to tell it to you or not, they still heard it from somewhere else and obviously found it somewhat funny. By not telling you, it hasn't changed that fact, it just forces them to be more "politically correct". Lighten up and learn to laugh at yourself occasionally. Life is better with laughter, and when nothing funny is happening around you it's probably because you are the funny of the situation.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Jokes are satirical, generally, whose purpose is to exaggerate the extremes of characteristics or situations related to the group. Doctors, lawyers, Americans, the French, English food, romance novels as a genre, and so on. The military as an organization and military type people ... no different. Can't imagine that anyone involved with any of the above can't see the origins of such jokes, and see some of the truth in them. It's hardly getting in a twist over, 'cause folks will think what they think until educated otherwise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links