4 Miami-Dade police officers shot, 1 dead; suspect fled

This is a discussion on 4 Miami-Dade police officers shot, 1 dead; suspect fled within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My prayers to the Police Officers and their families. And to the officers who give this scumbag his just reward....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 Miami-Dade police officers shot, 1 dead; suspect fled

My prayers to the Police Officers and their families.
    And to the officers who give this scumbag his just reward.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Update

CUTLER BAY, Fla. (WSVN) -- After hitting several heart-breaking dead ends, Police continue their search for a cop killer that shot and killed one Miami-Dade Officer and injured three officers late this morning.

Miami-Dade police officer Jose Somohano, 37, died on the scene of the shooting. Somohano was with the Miami-Dade police department since 2003. He leaves behind his wife and two young kids.

Jody Wright, 31, went through hours of surgery and is still at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Wright was shot in her leg and doctors say it shattered her knee and two of her three blood vessels are OK. Wright's father says his daughter is doing OK. "Doctors are confident that she will be able to walk again," said Dennis Dalley.

Miami-Dade police officer Tomas Tundidor, 36, was released from the hospital after suffering a leg injury. He has been with MDPD since 1989.

Miami-Dade police officer Christopher Carlin, 34, was also released from the hospital. He has been with MDPD since 1994.

During a roller coaster manhunt, police detained a man, woman and two children in their search for 25-year-old Shawn Sherwin Labeet. Police detained the four following the release of an Amber Alert that identified a suspect vehicle with details down to a tag number.

After police found the vehicle, a 2007 Pontiac Vibe, at Coral Ridge Mall in Fort Lauderdale and detained the people, they learned Labeet was not among them. Officials say the person driving that vehicle was Labeet's brother.

Five hours into the search, which began around 11:30 Thursday morning, Miami-Dade Police Commander Linda O'Brien held a press conference to clarify the identity of the suspect after police released the wrong name of their suspect. O'Brien said though they first identified their suspect as 30-year-old Kevin Wehner, she later said a source gave police wrong information and purposely hid the true identity of their suspect. That source officials say is Labeet's girlfriend.

O'Brien clarified that Wehner was in Jacksonville at the time of the shooting and had nothing to do with the shooting.

At around two in the afternoon, Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez confirmed the death of one of the three officers shot by the suspect.

Several police departments are actively searching South Florida for Labeet. "We've got a number of scenes going on at the present time," said Alvarez. "We've got a number of agencies that are working with us to locate this extremely dangerous individual."

Police say Labeet abandoned an AK-47 and a white Honda Accord, fleeing into a neighborhood near Southwest 203rd Street and 129th Avenue. Police say he wore a bulletproof vest under a blue shirt. Authorities say the suspect left Accord near a canal.

Detective Bobby Williams of the Miami-Dade Police Department said officers noticed Labeet driving erratically and pulled him over. Police say Labeet exited his vehicle and pulled out an AK-47 and opened fire on officers.

MDPD set up a perimeter in the area between Southwest 108th Avenue and Southwest 105th Avenue on Old Cutler Drive. Police recommend residents lock their doors, stay inside and stay vigilant. "I want the community to come forward and help us apprehend this individual," said Miami-Dade Commissioner Dennis Moss.

Miami Beach police, Broward Sheriff's Officers, Homestead Police, Hialeah Police are all helping with the search. Police are also using K-9 units and SWAT team members to track this suspect down. Customs Border Patrol also brought in a helicopter to assist in the manhunt.

Authorities locked down the following schools in the area of the shooting: Pines Villa Elementary, Mays Middle, Whigham Elementary and Centennial Middle. Today is a teacher workday, so no children are in these schools. Princeton Christian School has locked itself down voluntarily.

Officials had a garbage truck dump its entire load in case he was hiding among the refuse. Police also surrounded and drew their guns at a home near where he abandoned his vehicle
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member

Final Update

Officials: Police officer's killer shot dead
    CUTLER BAY, Fla. (AP) -- A gunman opened fire with a high-powered weapon on four Miami-Dade County police officers during a traffic stop Thursday, killing one of them and injuring the other three. Hours later, officials said the suspect was killed by police.

Officers from departments across South Florida conducted a massive search for the suspect, who investigators identified as Shawn Sherwin Labeet, 25. Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez said Labeet was found shortly before midnight in a Pembroke Pines apartment complex late Thursday.

"There was an exchange of gunfire and the subject was shot and killed," Alvarez said.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez said Labeet was found shortly before midnight in a Pembroke Pines apartment complex late Thursday.

"There was an exchange of gunfire and the subject was shot and killed," Alvarez said.
    As it should be.

Is that apt. complex near anybody here?

Senior Moderator
    I would like to see them charge the girlfriend as an accessory to murder. Her deliberate actions to aid his escape go well beyond simple obstruction of justice, IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Matt, from what I heard on the news just now, she will be facing charges. They were not specified but she is not gonna like it one bit.
    Randy Cain.

Glad that they got the perp. There will be no trial for the sensationalistic media to cover. No jury. No defense witnesses claiming that the perp was about to "turn his life around."

I was walking my dog last night about Two miles from were the P.O.S. was served "Divine Retribution". I hope he lingered. P.O.S. like this reaffirm my right to CCW.

T-Out
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Para Ordnance 18.9 9mm
    Wesson Mod 15 .357
    Ruger GP100 .357
    Remington 870 Express 12ga

Sad news for sure...I feel sorry for the LE community down there...
    As said above, the BG (scumbag) is dead, I think he planned on that...
    Now they WILL deal with those who helped the BG...time to pay the piper!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I love the way they're blaming 'assault weapons' for this:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070914/D8RLFAQO0.html

Assault-Weapon Attacks on Rise in Miami

MIAMI (AP) - The spray of bullets that killed a police officer and hurt three others this week came from something increasingly common on this city's streets: a high-powered assault weapon, fast becoming the gun of choice for gang members and violent criminals.......

And when the guns, once found solely in the hands of soldiers, are aimed at officers on patrol, there's little authorities can do to escape.

"It's almost like we have water pistols going up against these high-powered rifles," said John Rivera, president of the Dade County Police Benevolent Association. "Our weaponry and our bulletproof vests don't match up to any of those types of weapons."

Federal officials don't compile statistics on the number of crimes involving assault weapons like the AK-47, and municipalities' numbers across the country are patchwork. But in Miami, at least, there are signs it is becoming a major problem.

In 2005, the Miami-Dade Police Department reported two homicides involving an assault rifle; last year there were 10. That agency covers numerous unincorporated areas in the nation's eighth-largest county, but not its biggest cities, which have their own police forces.

The Miami Police Department said 15 of its 79 homicides last year involved assault weapons, up from the year before. This year, already 12 of the 60 homicides have involved the high-power guns.

"We've noticed an increase in the amount of assault weapons that we've seen on the street, and certainly the amount that have been used in murders and other shootings," said Detective Delrish Moss. "And it seems to be increasing every year."

Police do not yet know where the 25-year-old suspect in Thursday's shooting of the Miami-Dade officers got his weapon. Shawn Sherwin Labeet was found hours later and 30 miles from the crime scene. Police said they shot and killed him after he refused to drop his firearm.

On Friday, officers arrested four people accused of aiding Labeet. Alba Bello, 47; her son, Alain Gonzalez, 24; and Bello's boyfriend, Lazaro Guardiola, 35, were charged with accessory after the fact on suspicion of harboring the killer. Labeet's girlfriend, Renee Dangelo, 26, was charged with giving police false information.

The rising number of deaths by assault weapons reflects growing availability of the weapons and their elevation to a status symbol among gang members, said Carlos Baixauli, an agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"In the early '80s to '90s, it was more common to have a handgun in your waistband and the bigger the caliber, the more powerful you were," Baixauli said. "Now it's escalated to the assault weapons."

Another issue potentially at play is the 2004 expiration of the federal assault weapons ban, 10 years after its passage. The legislation outlawed 19 types of guns, including the semiautomatic AK-47.

The guns are readily available on streets, Baixauli said, or can be ordered by mail for under $200.

Shootings involving assault weapons were among the reasons U.S. Attorney R. Alexander Acosta set up an anti-gang task force of federal, state and local law enforcement officials this year. He assigned 15 federal prosecutors, led by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ben Greenberg, to the effort.

"These bullets are very powerful: they go through walls, they go through cars, and if you just spray the general vicinity you're going to get innocent bystanders," Acosta said. "A shooting that might have been an injury previously is now a death."

Kevin Morison of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund said his organization is considering tracking when assault weapons are involved in police shootings. Officer shootings had been on a downturn until this year.

More U.S. police officers were killed while on duty in the first six months of 2007 - 101 - than during any such period since 1978, according to the organization.

Rivera pleaded for leaders to allow police to carry higher-power weapons - though not necessarily as strong as some already on the street - and provide stronger protective vests.

"Give us a fighting chance," he said.

Police officials said they were bogged down with the aftermath of the shootings and unable to respond to Rivera's comments.

They did say they were trying to cope with the loss of Officer Jose Somohano.

The Miami-Dade department was helping to plan the funeral, and Officer Jody Wright was recovering from a gunshot wound to the right leg, said Cmdr. Linda O'Brien. The other two officers were treated and released.

"Anytime a fellow officer has been killed, it destroys us," O'Brien said. "It's almost got no words to it. Your blood just runs cold."
    by the way....Where can I get some mail-order guns for $200? I have some extra money & I'm willing to buy some Christmas gifts early this year.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    UPDATE
    Renee Ann Dangelo (Girlfriend) arrested & Charged with accessory after the fact with first degree murder.

Alba Bello, 47; her son, Alain Gonzalez, 24; and Bello's boyfriend, Lazaro Guardiola, 35, are charged with accessory after the fact for harboring Labeet.

Also Labeet's brother was arrested and charged with accessory after the fact with first degree murder.

Labeet Had Purchased Several Guns

(Miami-Dade police Cmdr) Linda O'Brien said Labeet fled the shooting scene in his girlfriend's white Honda Accord. Officers found the vehicle abandoned in the area of Southwest 212 Street and 129th Avenue.

"A high-powered, military-grade rifle was discovered under the vehicle," O'Brien said.

She also said that Labeet had purchase nine weapons in a six-month period.

"From December of 2005 to March 2006 Labeet had purchased, under the name of Kevin Wehner, which again is an alias he used, six assault rifles," O'Brien said. "He purchased six of those and three pistols. He fraudulently obtained those weapons."
    Get ready people. The attack is brewing even before the bodies are buried. An ATF agent lying so blatantly does not bode well.
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    The guns are readily available on streets, Baixauli said, or can be ordered by mail for under $200.
    No ?! Where can I order one? I can't believe a BATFE spokesman could say that with a straight face.

A reporter should keep his politics and personal feelings to himself and report the actual facts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links