4 Miami-Dade police officers shot, 1 dead; suspect fled

This is a discussion on 4 Miami-Dade police officers shot, 1 dead; suspect fled within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 4 Miami-Dade police officers shot, 1 dead; suspect fled CUTLER BAY, Fla. (AP) -- A gunman armed with a high-powered weapon killed one Miami-Dade County ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Miami-Dade police officers shot, 1 dead; suspect fled

VIP Member

CUTLER BAY, Fla. (AP) -- A gunman armed with a high-powered weapon killed one Miami-Dade County police officer and injured three others Thursday and then fled the scene, causing a large manhunt that swept through a residential neighborhood, officials said.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez confirmed that one of officers died. All four had been brought to hospitals, but authorities refused to release further information on them because they were trying to notify their families.

Investigators were looking for the 30-year-old suspected shooter identified as Kevin Wehner, who was last seen driving a white Honda Accord, said police spokeswoman Linda O'Brien. There may have been another man involved in the shooting, she said.

The officers originally were conducting burglary surveillance when they stopped the man because he was driving a car erratically, O'Brien said. He then opened fire. It was not immediately clear if the officers returned fire.

After the shootings, officers were seen on live television coverage drawing their guns as they briefly surrounded a house and then moved on. They also searched through a garbage truck as others scoured a grassy area on foot.

Authorities said it was incomprehensible that four of their colleagues had been targeted.

"You say that it is not true," said Robert Parker, director of the Miami-Dade Police Department. "You doubt it for a second or two."

Alvarez said numerous agencies were assisting in the search for the suspect.

"We need the community's assistance in trying to locate this extremely dangerous individual who's still on the loose," he said.

Cutler Bay is a suburb southwest of downtown Miami. Several schools in the area were on lockdown due to the search. Parts of Florida's Turnpike were shut down.

The shootings Thursday followed two other officers' shootings last month in neighboring Broward County. One was killed, the other was badly injured.

If you have any information on the whereabouts of this suspect, call Miami-Dade County Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS. Remember, you can always remain anonymous, and you may be eligible for a reward.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    According to Fox News: the BG (may he burn in the pitfires of Hell) purchased three AKs. I guess he used one of those to engage the officers.

RIP to the deceased officer and speedy recovery to the other three officers.

The BG apparently stole the ID of Wehner.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Now they are reporting that they identified the wrong person as the shooter after his picture and name have been plastered throughout the country.

They do have a new name and I'm not sure if the photograph is the right person.

Go get'em Miami.

Sympathies to all!
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

At one point FOX news switched to the WSVN local reporter on the scene. He mentioned that the suspect had purchased three AK-47s last spring and that the citizens of Florida should contact their legislators to demand that such weapons be banned. I thought it was very interesting just how much blame he put on the weapons and not the individual responsible. We can look for the "Brady bunch" and other anti-gun groups to make this unfortunate incident into a major talking point for their cause.

Once again another law enforcement officer has lost his life because of a despicable low life scumbag. My prayers go out to the officer's family, and to the other officers that were wounded.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    We can look for the "Brady bunch" and other anti-gun groups to make this unfortunate incident into a major talking point for their cause.
    Sure can. There's this gem, also. Somehow I doubt this was actually a machine gun, but the quote serves to blur the line even further.

http://www.local10.com/news/14106035/detail.html
    "Witnesses described the firepower as a machine gun and the invididual was able to fire a large number of rounds before officers could respond," said Miami-Dade Police Director Robert Parker.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    At one point FOX news switched to the WSVN local reporter on the scene. He mentioned that the suspect had purchased three AK-47s last spring and that the citizens of Florida should contact their legislators to demand that such weapons be banned. I thought it was very interesting just how much blame he put on the weapons and not the individual responsible. We can look for the "Brady bunch" and other anti-gun groups to make this unfortunate incident into a major talking point for their cause.
    You may want to drop them a note and tell them to stop the politics and do news. I just sent them a scating email telling them to cut the Political Lobby BS and stick to the news.

newsfeedback@wsvn.com
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Prayers for the officers, but they got the SOB. Seems that during the shooting the perp dropped a drivers license giving them ID for the first guy - he lived in Jacksonville and had reported his wallet stolen yesterday. After IDing the correct perp they continued the search and found him. Surprizingly he is in jail.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Yeah I heard some report that said the officers were shot with an AK-47....I call shenanigans. I bet 10% of these "reporters" can't tell the difference between an F-16 and an M-16. How do they know it was an AK? could it have been an SKS? Were these weapons purchased legally? I know it's a detail...and I know "reporters" do not deal in details, just emotion.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    After IDing the correct perp they continued the search and found him. Surprizingly he is in jail.
    I searched several news sources on the internet and cannot find any info on the capture of the suspect. In fact, all were reporting that the search was still on.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

THoughts and prayers go out to these officers and their families.

May the shooter BURN IN HELL!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Here is the latest: A tip came in that the BG was in Broward County. A vehicle description was given and was found. The stop produced the brother of the BG plus a female and 2 infants. Now, Pitmaster mentioned that a wrong person was originally identified as the BG but later corrected. That information was given by the girlfriend of the BG and it was not corrected until the wrong person sawh himself in the news and made a beeline for the local Sheriff's office and said he did not had to do squat with the killings and he is believable because he identified himself to authorities in Jacksonville where he lives.
    Suspect bought 3 high powered rifles (denomination unknow till now) back in March and he was wearing a bullet proof vest. Rumors are starting to seep that he is targeting cops and that he might not be alone in all this. Certanly the ID "mishaps" are suspicious enough.

And your truly has his trusty Evil Russian Weapon ready just in case. He was near the turnpike in SW Miami and I live near the Turnpike in NW Miami. With my luck the SOB is gonna drop by.
    Randy Cain.

We all know they find it easier to "blame the tool and not the fool"...

Good thing my AK is down the street & locked up, you know since it is such an evil piece of machinery {/sarcasm

WSVN local reporter --> <-- Me

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Here is the latest: A tip came in that the BG was in Broward County. A vehicle description was given and was found. The stop produced the brother of the BG plus a female and 2 infants. Now, Pitmaster mentioned that a wrong person was originally identified as the BG but later corrected. That information was given by the girlfriend of the BG
    Two decoys? That's awfully calculated if it is. If I were in FL, I'd be pistol on belt, rifle in hand, just in case.

Have they released any fresh leads as to vehicle description or direction of travel?

My thoughts and prayers are with the fallen's family and the injured.

Now go get this guy and let justice be done.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

hmmmm......I wonder what other details might come to light....IF this is some sort of coordinated attack, I wonder where they got the idea or if they received any kind of assistance in the planning phase.

[putting tin foil hat away]
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links