Defensive Carry banner

Reach out and touch someone, in a big way

3K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  firefighter4884 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Scott said:
Just wanted to confirm where and what targets on the video.
Afghanistan, counter sniper operations from what I understand. Those disassembled wads of meat are Taliban. In the second one, you can easily recognize a hand and arm. The shooter is one hell of a shot....

#11 ·
Well it was an interesting clip all right, but if I saw what I think I saw - bodies being lifted into the air - I'm calling BS. Good shots or not, until I am convinced otherwise, I don't believe even a .50 cal. can do that.

#12 ·
Tangle - I was having same problem!! However I have wondered if there is any possibility of higth performance bullets being used.

If we scale up from lil' P Dogs and hits from say 22-250 - with Nosler's or similar - remembering there how the ''carcas!'' goes airborn (Dogbegone vids - seen em?) ... then I can imagine a similar effect on a much larger body from 700 or so grains travelling at 2500 or so downrange!

Anyone know what the counter-sniper guys might have as ammo choice??

#13 ·
P95Carry said:
Tangle - I was having same problem!! However I have wondered if there is any possibility of higth performance bullets being used.

If we scale up from lil' P Dogs and hits from say 22-250 - with Nosler's or similar - remembering there how the ''carcas!'' goes airborn (Dogbegone vids - seen em?) ... then I can imagine a similar effect on a much larger body from 700 or so grains travelling at 2500 or so downrange!

Anyone know what the counter-sniper guys might have as ammo choice??
I hear ya! Good point, but high performance bullets or not, I don't see how a .50 cal. projectile can lift a 150 pound person well over 5 feet into the air. If I did my physics number crunching correctly, a 700 gn bullet traveling at 2500 f/s has 9704 Ft-Lbs of energy which is enough to lift a 150 pound object about 65 feet straight up, IF the object perfectly absorbed all the bullet's energy, i.e, the bullet doesn't exit the object AND the bullet is traveling completely vertical when it strikes the object.

In this video clip, the bullet isn't travelling straight up but rather nearly horizontal so it should knock the target backwards, not upwards. Moreover the bullet is more likely to simply punch a big hole through a person and not move him so much.

I have never heard of such dramatic response like this video suggests, but that doesn't really mean a lot; there's lots of things I've never heard of, but I'm sticking with BS until convinced otherwise.

#14 ·
Tangle - my thinking is based on the ''explosive'' effects of a bullet - like placing a charge inside a body and detonating it. The ground is solid so the ''remains'' can only go up and to side!

If you watch what I am calling a ''scaled down'' effect with the P Dogs - they do almost explode and rise in pieces! Imagine a suitable expanding (almost frangible in effect) bullet which thru it's tremendous hydrodynamic pressure effects just ''blows up'' the target.

I don't think BS on this as much as you - tho still am thirsty for more info. Is there not in fact a .50 cal option which is a small explosive head - small core of PETN or similar?

I hope for more info tho. Ghoulishly fascinating!

#16 · (Edited)
P95Carry said:
Tangle - my thinking is based on the ''explosive'' effects of a bullet - like placing a charge inside a body and detonating it. The ground is solid so the ''remains'' can only go up and to side!

If you watch what I am calling a ''scaled down'' effect with the P Dogs - they do almost explode and rise in pieces! Imagine a suitable expanding (almost frangible in effect) bullet which thru it's tremendous hydrodynamic pressure effects just ''blows up'' the target.

I don't think BS on this as much as you - tho still am thirsty for more info. Is there not in fact a .50 cal option which is a small explosive head - small core of PETN or similar?

I hope for more info tho. Ghoulishly fascinating!
Hmmm, an "exploding" bullet. I was thinking more about this phenomenon occuring from a "conventional" round. An exploding bullet would make placement much less critical, not to mention the effect on the person!

IIRC, the military determined that hydrodynamic shock only occurred with projectiles traveling at 2200 fps or greater. As I understand hydrodynamics, which isn't all that well by the way, the velocity of the bullet, not the energy, causes the flesh to accelerate away from the bullet so rapidly that the flesh is destroyed. Hence based on velocity, a .223 traveling at 3000 fps should produce a greater hydrodynamic effect than a .50 cal. traveling at 2500 fps.

What I'm wondering, is barring an explosive round, how would one get all that energy from the .50 cal. to dump into the body? It seems to me that it would essentially tear through the body and exit, thereby dumping only a small portion of the bullet's energy into the body.

#18 ·
Hence based on velocity, a .223 traveling at 3000 fps should produce a greater hydrodynamic effect than a .50 cal. traveling at 2500 fps.

Wrong.
First of all standard military ball is traveling at 2750 from a 36 inch barrel. That puts the energy figure a bit over 12,000 FPE's.

I'd be willing to bet that its a standard FMJ bullet. For those that dont know, the FMJ bullet is jacketed with copper, the bullet is actually made from steel,not lead.

Anyone that has ever shot a .50BMG at ANTHING knows that a .223 isnt even close to the .50 in terms of "hydrostatic" shock. As an example, try shooting a concrete block with a .223 and see what happens. It might make a hole in the block, it might choose to disentegrate without even penetrating. Shoot the block with the .50 and the block will dissappear and it will turn to dust.

On a soft target such as a watermelon, the .223 will do a good job of busting it. Shoot the watermelon with the .50 and you will have a hard time finding any of it within 25 yards of where it started.

I have several .223's and everything in between up to and including the .50. Everything pales in comparison. After shooting several dozen rounds through my .50 BMG rifle, even the .300 magnum seems like a pipsqueak.

#19 ·
I had to reply to this one saying that I also have a hard time believing that a Barret would make bodies fly through the air like that. In fact I'm quite sure of it. I say this because I have seen them in action in Iraq, now don't get me wrong, they can do some really nasty damage. One of the snipers in my division hit a guy in a car through the shoulder and it blew his arm off, but it did not launch it like that, end over end. I have seen explosions that were less dramatic to a human body than some of those clips. Wish it could be true but have to say it's not. Cool clip anyways.

#20 ·
Following the thinking that there is a BS factor ------ what do folks consider then was the target and results explanation??

I am still seeing P-Dogs going into orbit from small cal rounds (fact). But how can we explain these four hits on the vid?

#21 ·
I dont think you are seeing bodies flying around.
I think you may have a few heads being busted along with what looks like an arm attached on the third shoot.

I've shot pumpkins and squash at 600 yards and they literally blow apart. When up against a hard background, the fragments from the dirt and rock finish tearing up whatever the bullet dosent.

We gave up shooting helium filled ballons with a .50 because you didnt have to hit the balloons to pop them, anywhere close would usually do it.

Having attended several suicides over the years it nevers ceases to amaze me what a head can look like after eating even a mild powered pistol round. Brain matter goes everywhere.

#22 ·
After taking a second look I can maybe see the last one, it looks more like splatter and small pieces of flesh exploding from a head shot, however, the other ones just look like too much mass and weight went flying too far. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I know for sure. I'm just saying that I have never seen anything that dramatic from a .50 cal.

#23 ·
Just remembered too - that last shot - immediately as the scene opens, it appears that a person is scrambling into position and then staying still - it looks humanoid.

#24 ·
HotGuns said:
Hence based on velocity, a .223 traveling at 3000 fps should produce a greater hydrodynamic effect than a .50 cal. traveling at 2500 fps.

Wrong.
First of all standard military ball is traveling at 2750 from a 36 inch barrel. That puts the energy figure a bit over 12,000 FPE's.

I'd be willing to bet that its a standard FMJ bullet. For those that dont know, the FMJ bullet is jacketed with copper, the bullet is actually made from steel,not lead.

Anyone that has ever shot a .50BMG at ANTHING knows that a .223 isnt even close to the .50 in terms of "hydrostatic" shock. As an example, try shooting a concrete block with a .223 and see what happens. It might make a hole in the block, it might choose to disentegrate without even penetrating. Shoot the block with the .50 and the block will dissappear and it will turn to dust.

On a soft target such as a watermelon, the .223 will do a good job of busting it. Shoot the watermelon with the .50 and you will have a hard time finding any of it within 25 yards of where it started.

I have several .223's and everything in between up to and including the .50. Everything pales in comparison. After shooting several dozen rounds through my .50 BMG rifle, even the .300 magnum seems like a pipsqueak.
HotGuns,
I think you are confusing energy with hydrodynamic shock. No doubt the energy of a .223 pales in comparison to a .50 cal. - that's a fact. But, there is much doubt as to how much of the .50 cal's energy can be transfered to a human body.

OTOH, hydrodynamic shock is caused primairly by the velocity of a bullet, not the energy. It is the velocity of the bullet that causes the flesh to accelerate away from the bullet so fast the flesh is destroyed.

#26 ·
I think you are confusing energy with hydrodynamic shock. No doubt the energy of a .223 pales in comparison to a .50 cal. - that's a fact. But, there is much doubt as to how much of the .50 cal's energy can be transfered to a human body.

about hydrodynamic shock...
Look at it like this...

you shoot a man with:
a 55 grain bullet moving at 2700 FPS
and you shoot another one with:
a 750 grain bullet moving at 2700 FPS.

which is gonna have the most "flesh accelerate" from the bullet ?

Theres more to the equation than that.
Its like dropping a marble into a pool of water...
or dropping a softball into it.

The softball is gonna move more water than the marble if they are close to the same speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.