I just took a new job

I just took a new job

This is a discussion on I just took a new job within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be traveling to 'Hazard Duty' locations around the world. I get a full week of weapons training, and a DoD ID card. I ...

Thread: I just took a new job

I just took a new job

I will be traveling to 'Hazard Duty' locations around the world.
    I get a full week of weapons training, and a DoD ID card. I will be installing communications equipment for a DoD agency.

I can't wait. I spent 10 years in the Navy as a CTR. I've been out of the service for almost three years now and I finely get a chance to get out from behind a desk and back to something more operational. I can't wait. I was surprised that the pay was no more than it is (it's very good, but only about 10% more than I was making already).

So any other DoD contractors that have any tips for me? This is the first time i have gone anyplace without a uniform.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

no advice but good job and good luck!

Watch your six old friend!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    welcome to the suck stay safe and i along with all the others will keep you safe
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

CTR? .......your spooky!

I've worked with a gaggle of various CT's in my 15 yrs with the Navy so far.......good group. Sounds like a great job, certinly better pay.....10% is still 10%. Congrats!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Be polite, but remember rank doesn't mean what it did while you were in. I got out of the AF after 4 years, so everyone out ranked me. When starting back to work at an AF base I was back to thinking I was just a lowly Airman. Well after a couple of months I started to realize that all of the officers and senior enlisted want to be treated like everyone else. O-5 and above & E-9 get sirs and titles, but everyone else just get polite respect, but treated like another co-worker.

This has all seemed to work very well. I work in a Unified Command, so I have Army, Marines, Nave, and AF in my command structure and work side by side all of them. I am a Network Engineer.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

BTW.... Congrats on the new position
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

I have been working on Ft. Meade since I got out of the service. So the Being a civilian on a military base, I'm fine with.

It's the trips to the sand, not as a member of a military unit, but alone and in civilian clothes, that's a part that's a little strange.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Congrats on the job. Watch your six and come back safe!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    Congrats on the new job
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Good luck and watch your six
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Be sure to be a 'back up for your friends'...way back...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Congrats and Stay Safe.
    Some Real World Adventure! Ya gotta love it.
    Sounds like a neat job and something I would have jumped at if I was younger...Ditto to just keep your watch on your six.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Just remember to trust no one and be constantly aware of what's around you. If you think something's not right, go with your instincts. It's hard to tell the cowboys from the Indians unless they wear an American uniform. A little paranoia is good for the soul.

Links