Military and off-duty carry

This is a discussion on Military and off-duty carry within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm starting this thread with a carry habit/how often do ya....(?) kind of mindset. Military Bases in general = NO FIREARMS, period. I'll start........ I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm starting this thread with a carry habit/how often do ya....(?) kind of mindset. Military Bases in general = NO FIREARMS, period.
    I'll start........

I tend to carry my sidearm a little better than 50% of the time while off-duty.......I live off base so the base housing issue is N/A.

My off time I don't carry around the house unless I've got my gun out for whatever reason. If traveling anywhere......I'm armed.
    The reason I don't carry any more than I do off base/off-duty is there is always the token run to the commisary/exchange/PX, (thier located on base here) etc. ...... and having school age children with various after-school activities I find myself around NFZ's pretty offten. But when I'm certin I'm not gonna be on base or at my daughters school, I'm packing.

So, for all the AD, retired, and reserve guys and gals living on or near a military instelation/base............when, how often do ya'll carry and how does it impact your carry habits.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I retired from active duty (Army) in 1994. I live within 20 miles of post. I rarely ever go on post. Mrs. Airedale does all the commisary/PX type stuff.

So the answer is, it really doesn't affect me.

Dave

I have been retired 37 years but I still use the commissary and other base facilities. I often have a pistol in my glove compartment and it is never been a problem. I don't know the rules but most bases have a rod and gun club where you may shoot and sometimes even allow limited use of the gun range for off duty personnel. So I guess it is up to the base commander.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Retired from the AF in 1981. The only time I enter a military facility now is to renew my wife's ID card (once every 4 years). As to carrying, the only time I don't carry, while in Florida, is if my destination is on the following list:

any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    any courtroom*
    any polling place
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    any school administration building
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    any elementary or secondary school facility
    any area technical center
    any college or university facility*
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/wea...ossession.html

Aside from voting, performing jury duty, or a rare need to fly commercial, the above list doesn't really affect me because I no longer have a need to go into those places (not that I ever had a need to enter a place of nuisance, or jail for that matter).
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

even living on base, i carry every time i go off base. i've come to accept it as another part of life in the "chocolate city" ...

in all honesty, transporting firearms on and off base isn't that big of a deal as long as they're registered with the base's security/military police and transported unloaded.

Retired Air Force here. I always carry when traveling into unfamiliar areas and about half the time otherwise. The base is about 4 miles from where I live and has a very strict no guns policy now. There was a time when a Saturday was set aside every month for private firearm use of the range. For most bases it depends on how gun friendly the base commander is.

Being on shift work, I don't carry to/from work during the week, as I PT at Quantico. However, when working weekends, I am able to park in a city parking lot (50ft from work) and secure my weapon in a car safe. Not at my place of duty = I carry (incl at home)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I carry everytime Im on duty as part of my uniform ( see pic) and when im off duty I carry everytime I leave home.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I never carried wile I was in the Service. As a matter of fact, I packed all mu guns away when I left for boot camp in '94 and didn't unpack them for 12 years.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Yeah, its a pain. RET,USA 1990.

If I'm headed there specifically (and retuning straight home) then I leave it at home.

Unplanned trips while carrying means I stop somewhere prior to entrance / unload and lock it in the lock-box.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I live a stone's throw from the gate at Fort Riley. As with all military bases, concealed carry is not permitted. However, I am one of the retired NCO's that run our privately owned firearms range on post, so I know what the rules are. If I have my clothes on, I have a gun on. Those times when I need to go on post, just before I get to the gate, I will drop the mag, empty the tube, and put the gun in a small locked box I keep on the back seat floor. Mag goes into my arm rest/junk box. As long it is in a closed container or trigger locked or dis-assembled, I can take it on post. On the way out, I stop again and reload and re-holster it. Takes very little time each way.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

I understand more than a few bases allow firearms to be taken on/off base........I, however, haven't been stationed at any of them.

Absolutly NO guns unless paperwork filled out, base security notified, exact time of weapons transport declared, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah..........a pain!

Thanks for sounding off on this thread, all replies are welcome and appricated!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

"I understand more than a few bases allow firearms to be taken on/off base........I, however, haven't been stationed at any of them.

"i do not have any problem getting my guns on Ft. Sill to shoot or hunt. Guns that you take on base have to be registered at the PMO but that is no hassle. Concealed hand guns are not allowed on base.

M2
    Retired from the USAF less than two years ago, still work on base as a contractor. As such, I can't carry to and from work, and I don't. Before we go anywhere outside of work I ask the wife if we need to go to base to shop or anything, so I can leave my handgun at home. Otherwise, with my CHL I carry everywhere else...

Honestly, I wish the Federal Govt would recognize state concealed licenses, would make life much easier if I could at least leave the dang thing locked in the car!

Cheers! M2

VIP Member
    The gun is registered on base, so if I go on base I unload and place it in the vehicle according to base regs. ie trunk, ammo separated, in a case, plain sight, portable safe etc depending if I have a car or truck.
    The key is having the executed registration form in the vehicle. I have a copy in the car, truck, & boat.
    School is a big no no, so if I go there the guns stay home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links