Democrats give away veterans' benefits

This is a discussion on Democrats give away veterans' benefits within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is outrageous! http://www.timesgazette.com/main.asp ... 67&TM=54783.2 http://veterans.house.gov/legislatio...islation.shtml Democrats give away veterans' benefits Rep. Mike Turner As a member of the House Veterans' Affairs (VA) Committee, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is outrageous!

http://www.timesgazette.com/main.asp... 67&TM=54783.2

http://veterans.house.gov/legislatio...islation.shtml

Rep. Mike Turner

As a member of the House Veterans' Affairs (VA) Committee, the work of helping to ensure that those who have worn a military uniform receive the benefits and respect to which they were promised, is often rewarding.

A recent Veterans' Affairs Committee meeting took an unusual twist, which many people are surprised to learn about when I tell them.

This story is about a two-part process that led to unbelievable decisions. First, the Veterans' Committee took away benefits from some very deserving American veterans. Second, the committee gave benefits to veterans of another country who don't live in the United States, and never have lived in this country or been American citizens. I opposed both actions.

I am against the Filipino Veterans Equity Act of 2007 (H.R. 760). This legislation will provide benefits to Filipino World War II veterans.

These veterans were members of the Philippines military. They fought in the Pacific Theater, presumably on behalf of their native country.

They are citizens of the Philippines and not U.S. citizens. While these Filipino troops may have fought bravely, side-by-side, with American soldiers, they should be looking to the Philippines for veterans' benefits.

The United States has obligations to American veterans. We should not be held responsible for the benefits of the Philippines or any additional countries.

The Filipino veterans' provisions in HR 760 are similar to a plan passed by the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee.

If signed into law, it would provide full veterans' status to World War II era Filipino soldiers and even their survivors.

This would include pay for service related disabilities, survivor pay for service-connected deaths, as well as pensions and death benefits.

Those who are living in the Philippines, and are not U.S. citizens, would receive $6,000 to $8,400. Low-income widows would receive $3,600.

I have witnessed some contentious hearings in my years in public service. VA Committee Chairman Bob Filner, D-Calif., was determined to pass the Filipino Veterans Equity Act. When the exchanges between the chairman and ranking member (and former chairman) Steve Buyer, R-Ind., became too heated, Filner ordered a recess to plot strategy with the Democratic majority.

The measure passed on a straight party-line vote and Filner refused to recognize any additional Republican amendments.

Providing veterans' benefits to Filipino service members is only half of the issue.

Perhaps more egregious is how the Democrats offset the cost of the new benefits. Because of House PAYGO rules, any new entitlement spending (such as the Filipino Veterans Equity Act) must be funded by either a corresponding cut in existing spending or matching revenue gains.

In this case, the Democrats on the Veterans Committee voted to save nearly $1 billion by eliminating a $2,200 special monthly payment to veterans who are less than 100 percent disabled, but 60 percent or greater disabled.

Paying Filipino service members who served alongside American troops in the Philippines during World War II sets a dangerous precedent. There were certainly brave Koreans and Vietnamese who served alongside Americans during the Korean and Vietnamese conflicts.

There are some Afghanis and Iraqis who are serving nobly with their American counterparts today. The Filipino Veterans Equity Act makes it logical for the United States to pay foreign fighters from these conflicts future benefits as well.

It is outrageous that U.S. veterans who have a high level of disability have lost up to $2,200 per month in benefits.

Rather than using U.S. tax dollars to pay American veterans who have sacrificed, Chairman Filner and the Democrats on the Veterans' Affairs Committee decided that paying non-U.S. citizens was a more important national priority.

This does not serve our nation.

Rep. Mike Turner, R-Centerville, represents Ohio's Third Congressional District.

Unbelievable !!!!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Forrest Gump was right. Stupid is as stupid does... even for democrats.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

I in no way support reducing US veteran benifits.

Concerning Filipinos... weren't the Philipines an American terrirotry during WWII? That would mean that we had responsibility for the people there and those fighting in the military there were an extension of normal US military forces. I see room for this unless someone can show me otherwise.

We need to quite giving hand outs to every other country out there and start looking after our own.

If there is leftovers then sure help others out, but you have to look after your own family (citizens) first.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I amazed how people will still vote for this party!

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I amazed how people will still vote for this party!
    But the Democrats are for the little people and for small business. You must be rich if you vote Republican. ya right!
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

If the Phillipines were a US Territory during WWII then any Filipinos who fought in the war were technically US Citizens fighting on the side of the USA during the war...

The Philipines gaining independence after the fact will not change that.

The country's status as a colony changed when it became the Commonwealth of the Philippines in 1935, which provided for more self-governance. Plans for increasing independence over the next decade were interrupted during World War II when Japan invaded and occupied the islands. After the Japanese were defeated in 1945, the Philippines "achieved independence" from the United States on July 4, 1946.[1]
    Beats me what the status truly was/is and should be for the troops who fought. Dinging our vet's benifits at the same time was not a good move.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Have to agree with the statement about the Philippines being a terriroty of the US, much as Guam is today, and Okinawa was for a while. Not sure if I like it or not, but it is a valid reason, unfortunatly just the tip of the needle to what we're gonna see in the next few years.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Territorial residents ARE NOT US citizens. They are citizens of Guam, The Philippines, Porte Rico etc. They should petition THEIR government for benefits.

Let me state that i am a severely disabled veteran who is up to date on veteran's issues. This is not going to swim in the Senate and will probably not swim in the full House.

Steve Buyer (R) was appointed to head the Veteran's Committee after Fat Hastert fired the Chairman for being too cozy with veterans. Buyer tried to re-define the term "veteran" so as to disenfranchise a few million veterans.

Buyer is no friend of veterans. Neither is Turner. Buyer would not allow the DAV, American Legion or VFW to testify before his committee. Under Buyer's tutelage the Republican congress disenfranchised 800,000 veterans.

Filner is not the first skunk to spoil the veteran's garden party.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Let me state that i am a severely disabled veteran who is up to date on veteran's issues. This is not going to swim in the Senate and will probably not swim in the full House.

Steve Buyer (R) was appointed to head the Veteran's Committee after Fat Hastert fired the Chairman for being too cozy with veterans. Buyer tried to re-define the term "veteran" so as to disenfranchise a few million veterans.

Buyer is no friend of veterans. Neither is Turner. Buyer would not allow the DAV, American Legion or VFW to testify before his committee. Under Buyer's tutelage the Republican congress disenfranchised 800,000 veterans.

Filner is not the first skunk to spoil the veteran's garden party.
    I certainly hope and pray your are right. I tend to agree but, the times they are a-changing.

BTW, Thanks for your service Sig 210. I am also a disabled vet and this sort of crap riles me, not so much personally but because of the lack of appreciation this countries' elite show to those that allow them to breath free.

So what's new? Our govt has been chiseling away vets benefits for decades. My father sustained injuries in WWII that eventually blinded him. He fought for 40 years to get 1 years back benefits and the two more years of benefits before he died. I will need a lawyer to get my VA medical benefits.

They always want us to join but never want to live up to their end later.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    Territorial residents ARE NOT US citizens. They are citizens of Guam, The Philippines, Porte Rico etc. They should petition THEIR government for benefits.
    Yet Puerto Ricans are not required to have a pasport to visit any of the 50 states...

There is a large gray area here and we are talking about a statistical non-entitiy with regards to surviving Filipino vets of WWII and their next of kin in comparison to the erst ot the USA. Better to err on the side of the vets and move on.

As far as giving the hose to established US vets... that is a big no no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links