Less than half of military votes overseas counted

This is a discussion on Less than half of military votes overseas counted within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not good news, but somehow doesn't surprise me anymore... Less than half of military votes overseas counted Election commission: 57,000 ballots were cast in ’06 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Less than half of military votes overseas counted

Less than half of military votes overseas counted

Not good news, but somehow doesn't surprise me anymore...

Less than half of military votes overseas counted Election commission: 57,000 ballots were cast in ’06

By Leo Shane III, Stars and Stripes
    Mideast edition, Tuesday, September 25, 2007

WASHINGTON — Overseas military voters had less than half of their votes counted in last year’s congressional elections, according to data released by the U.S. Election Assistance Commission on Monday.

“One thing is clear: At every level of government, we need to do a better job,” said Donetta Davidson, chair of the commission. “We must make sure all eligible voters are getting their opportunities.”

The figures, released at the commission’s annual conference on ways to improve and troubleshoot the absentee voting process, showed that only about 992,000 of the nearly 6 million eligible overseas citizens requested ballots for the 2006 general election.

That included about 119,000 military personnel stationed outside the United States. Of those, only about 57,000 — less than 48 percent — had their votes successfully cast or counted.

EAC officials said that’s roughly the same percentage that were counted for expatriates and domestic military filing absentee ballots. The major failures were on the ballot delivery side, with about 72 percent of those who failed to vote never receiving any of their requested election materials.

Still, the commission also saw positive news for overseas military.

In a survey of absentee voters from four states — South Carolina, Florida, Illinois and Montana — researchers found that overseas military were nearly three times as likely to attempt to vote as their overseas civilian counterparts. And nearly 90 percent of those who made it through the system were pleased how the voting process worked.

Q2 Data & Research senior partner Bruce Cain, who led the work on that survey, said overseas voters also are anxious to embrace new technology to make the absentee voting system easier to follow and more efficient.

Currently only eight states allow transmitting a final election ballot, but others offer varying levels of e-mail assistance and fax submission offerings.

“The numbers of [electronic voting options] are still small, but the satisfaction level with them is very high,” he said.

And EAC officials said local election officials they surveyed said they’re anxious to offer more assistance to overseas voters, especially military serving in combat zones.

Still, often those goals are constrained by the small budgets and small staff of the offices involved. Kimball Brace, president of Election Data Services, said 1,778 local election offices nationwide serve less than 1,000 voters, and often face more difficulty quickly responding to overseas requests.

© 2007 Stars and Stripes. All Rights Reserved.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

There's no way my '04 Presidential ballot made it from the sandbox in time. (Thanks, Harris County...)
    Last edited by Herknav; September 25th, 2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Bad Grammer/Double Negative

I've often thought about the logistics of the whole thing and doubted the votes were ever received, let alone actually being counted.

NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

DC political hacks talk a good line when they say that they "support the troops:" It is all cheap hype.
    1911srule and CLASS3NH like this.

I was in Germany for the 04 election and somehow missed the process of getting my vote back. At least it came out ok.
    But boy Ill tell you one thing that pissed me off that day more than anything. Michale Moore's terrible movie Fahrenheit 9/11 was not yet on DVD in Germany, I dont even know if it had been in the theaters. I sit down to the TV and switch it to the station that the election results will be on and guess what is playing. Thats right. They had a special TV premier of that piece of crap on the same station as the election and immediately before it. Some words few out of my mouth so fast you wouldn't believe it. My host family only barely understood why this made me so angry. The people over there are very intelligent as I'm sure you know. They just have been pumped with so much BS that they cant see reality anymore. At least most of them see the flaws in their out country (like the terrible terrible taxation), they are just presented with our way of living in such a terrible manor they really have no idea what its like over here.
    God bless America

yep

same old story

my votes from 80-87 prolly never got counted either...

service members give up an awful lot to serve...
    CLASS3NH likes this.

If I were deploying overseas, I would have my wife or relatives handle getting the request for an absentee ballot and have it sent to them. That way, they could send the paperwork directly to me and I could return it to them to deliver.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

VIP Member
    Yup, I'm convinced this happens to us servicemembers...but try hearing the "popular" press make a big deal out of it!

(Note...they won't given the press' political biases)
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I am sure that everyone is shocked by this revelation.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

I don't want this thread to get political and incur the wrath of the mods, but anyone who followed the legal battles surrounding the 2000 election are well aware of which group of politicians tried desperately to invalidate the military overseas absentee ballots--and why.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member
    Military's deadline does not match the states deadline

Not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Not surprised
    Why did you bump a 5 year old thread to say "not surprised?"

This has been an ongoing problem. In order to offset the problem the government has implemented a program to count the votes from Chicago, Detriot and LA twice, thus 100% correcting the problem.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Why did you bump a 5 year old thread to say "not surprised?"
    In all honestly I was interested in how many new reads would be added to it. It was not particularly satisfying as I had thought it would be.

Glad they seem to be working on a solution though, Stevew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links