Officer Encounter @ Taco Bell

This is a discussion on Officer Encounter @ Taco Bell within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at Taco Bell waiting for my food, when an officer came in and placed an order. Then came and sat next to me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer Encounter @ Taco Bell

Officer Encounter @ Taco Bell

I was at Taco Bell waiting for my food, when an officer came in and placed an order. Then came and sat next to me as we both waited. We both said hi, then I asked if that was a 1911 and he said: "Yes", then I asked why isn't it cocked and locked? He paused and said: "It always is, it's a Para Ordinance." But, looking at it and it was in a holster with a thumb break and not cocked.
    Then we talked and I asked if he had to buy it or was it issued? "Issued, our sheriff likes 1911's." I told him I carried a Springfield and he said he wished he had one. Well my food was ready, so I said goodbye have a goodnight and walked out.
    Then I got to thinking on the way home it wasn't cocked and locked, because it was a double action, but why would he give me that answer? Maybe I just caught him off guard or something.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

It had the LDA (Light Double Action) setup. Basically, when the slide is retracted, a cam compresses the mainspring on the hammer strut. Thus, when you pull the trigger, you're only cocking the hammer itself.

On an LDA, you can't physically lock the hammer back a la traditional C&L. Perhaps he told you it was C&L because he doesn't have to cock it?

Wink +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    It had the LDA (Light Double Action) setup. Basically, when the slide is retracted, a cam compresses the mainspring on the hammer strut. Thus, when you pull the trigger, you're only cocking the hammer itself.

On an LDA, you can't physically lock the hammer back a la traditional C&L. Perhaps he told you it was C&L because he doesn't have to cock it?
    Yeah that was my first thought, too. Maybe that's the only holster he's got.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    Most officers dont like to talk about their weapons with strangers. When asked about mine, I often give them the shortest, most basic answer possible. If I'm in a good mood, I'll make some complete nonsense up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Most officers dont like to talk about their weapons with strangers. When asked about mine, I often give them the shortest, most basic answer possible. If I'm in a good mood, I'll make some complete nonsense up.
    Why is that, personal preference, policy, not at people person?

Short answers I can understand if you really don't want to talk about it, smart people with pick up on that and drop it. Making up nonsense I don't really understand, if the person asking you the question does know what they're talking about, doesn't that make you look stupid, or unfamiliar with your own firearm? I would think that adds to the bias that some cops don't know much about their own guns. I wouldn't think you'd want to add to that.

I'm not a LEO, so I'm not in your shoes. I'm just wondering. I know that all officers are not into guns, so in that respect I understand. You seem to like guns, so why not chat about it.

Is it just gun chat that you don't like or just chat with strangers in general. I usually don't bother officers if I see them in a restaurant, I figure they are on break so I leave them alone. Usually if I see them working, well duh, they are working so again I leave them alone.

As a general rule, I don't really discuss firearms too much in public anyway, too many people don't understand or over react. I did talk to one officer about firearms, but we were in a gun shop and both knew the owner so I guess that broke the ice a little.

Please understand, I'm just curious.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Administrator
    Its not that I'm anti social or anything else, but it seems to me that most of the time when asked about my gun its the wrong time... I'm trying to eat my dinner, I'm working a situation or whatever.

Three types of people ask about my gun... Meatheads who watch to much T.V., gun guys who already know the answers to the questions they ask, or kids who dont know any better. All three are annoying. I really like telling these guys that we use special heat seeking ammunition that only LEO's can buy, or that they have RFID chips in them for later ID. When asked "how many bullets that thing holds?" I say it holds as many as I tell it too, or I don't know, I've never ran it out.
    It leaves them scratching their heads, and gives me a chuckle.

Then there is the possibility that the person might be asking me for the wrong reasons, and I'm waiting for the standard follow up question "Have you ever shot anybody?"

I dont really care if the public thinks I'm a half wit and dont know anything about my job or the tools I carry. Think about it... it works to my advantage. I dont want everyone in town thinking I'm a Tackleberry, so if I do have to use my weapon everyone will assume its because I just felt like shooting.

I get asked about the TASER more than anything though. I'll give honest answers to those questions, as they are a hot topic and widely misunderstood from the toro cacca they hear on the news.

If I was the officer in the OP's story, I would not have been annoyed at the small talk while waiting for my burrito. Friendly conversation while I'm not doing anything can be fun. I still would have kept brief though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the reply.

That kind of clears things up for me. I understand where you're coming from (as much as I can).

About the only time I have any interaction at all with LEO's would be in line or waiting for something. As you said, in that case you wouldn't have been annoyed. I try to be respectful when I see someone trying to eat or in the middle of something, just seems like common courtesy to me. Most of the time it's just a nod of acknowledgment.

I did ask the officer in the gun shop about his taser too, there's a lot of misinformation out there. Just my opinion, but I think used properly it's a great tool for you guys. I know it's not a fix all, but under the right circumstances a valuable tool.

I've run into the meatheads myself (probably not nearly as much as you do). I don't talk too much about firearms in public, but in crowds I control (I'm an instructor for UCP) I will bring it up. I like to try to do my part to educate the sheep.

Although it is a highly personal question, don't you think the "have you ever had to shoot anyone" is a legitimate question? At least from a curiosity standpoint. I guess if it's a meathead type, or just morbid conversation I'd be annoyed too.

I've never asked an officer about it, I've had 2 that I knew tell me about their experiences. I figured since they opened up the topic it was OK to discuss it. I was more interested in the decision making process than anything else.

Thanks for being one of the good guys!

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Distinguished Member
    SIXTO: With all due respect giving out incorrect information on anything as serious as a firearm to me would seem wrong. Why not just tell them it is police policy that you can not discuss your gun.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    SIXTO: With all due respect giving out incorrect information on anything as serious as a firearm to me would seem wrong. Why not just tell them it is police policy that you can not discuss your gun.
    Ditto...misinformation can be just as dangerous.

Rick

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its not that I'm anti social or anything else, but it seems to me that most of the time when asked about my gun its the wrong time... I'm trying to eat my dinner, I'm working a situation or whatever.
    Sixto I agree with you, I spent 25 years in our sheriff's office reserves, we worked a lot of crowd type stuff, you are right about the 3 different types of people asking about your gun. Those folks seem interested in our duty guns, but after you've been asked what seems like a million times, it gets old. The kids are funny, mostly it's young boys wanting to know what type of gun I have, and I'd smile and tell them it's a 700 double magnum! They'd get real excited and run off. I think some of the other people asking are trying to get in the position of being friendly and hoping it would buy them a favor later on after they get in trouble. I don't feel too comfortable discussing my gun with someone I don't know either, I really don't want them knowing too much about my mag capacity, bullet type or whatever. It's sort of a security issue. Likewise I wouldn't want to tell them much about my vest.

I don't smoke, but I've had plenty of people stop me while I'm on duty and ask do I have a light? I smile and tell them, "Yeah, but it just makes too much noise". They usually pause for a moment as it sinks in, then walk away laughing.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I never really realized I might be bugging him, it just caught my eye and curiosity took over. Little kids and now old people(he was 20 years my junior) asking questions, yeah I guess that would get old, but isn't that part of the job really, being a public servant? You do work for the people and have to have people skills or am I just still in Mayberry?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Why? It not theirs, it mine. They dont have their hands on it, and they dont need to know how many mags I carry or what bullet type I use.
    I dont tell them that it is police policy because it is police policy not to lie about police policy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    I never really realized I might be bugging him, it just caught my eye and curiosity took over. Little kids and now old people(he was 20 years my junior) asking questions, yeah I guess that would get old, but isn't that part of the job really, being a public servant? You do work for the people and have to have people skills or am I just still in Mayberry?
    Who knows if your situation and curiosity was bugging him.

People skills- I never said I was a jerk about it. I just skirt around the question or redirect the converstation- thats people skills. People skills isnt flapping my gums answering any question anybody wants to ask.

Oh yeah- No, I'm not a public servant. I enforce local and state laws. I'm not required to do anything outside of that scope. If I do (and I do often) its because I want to, not have to.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I don't feel too comfortable discussing my gun with someone I don't know either, I really don't want them knowing too much about my mag capacity, bullet type or whatever. It's sort of a security issue. Likewise I wouldn't want to tell them much about my vest.
    PPKHEAT, You know I never thought of it that way (operational security, USN retired). Someone could be casing you seeing what they would need to out gun you. Thank you for this insight and next time I am thinking about asking an officer about his carry gun I will think twice and just live with my curiosity.

Thanks,

Eric

....and in line with that, knowing how seriously an officer takes his/her sidearm tells one a good deal about the officer's awareness and consciousness of "personal safety". The old story about crooks in NY taking the cop with a good holster and custom grips more seroiusly than the cop using his pistol for an elbow rest....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links