Gun confiscation

This is a discussion on Gun confiscation within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Say another situation like New Orleans happened again, and your police department were given the order to confiscate all guns from private citizens, knowing well ...

Thread: Gun confiscation

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Gun confiscation

Say another situation like New Orleans happened again, and your police department were given the order to confiscate all guns from private citizens, knowing well you could get shot back at entering homes, and its a violation of rights.

1. Would you do it?
    2. Would your police department do it?
    3. How would you feel morally?

2. Remove Ads

To disobey the law is certainly not encouraged when using this forum...my response to that question would be

Nuff said...

STAY ARMED...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    To disobey the law is certainly not encouraged when using this forum...my response to that question would be

Nuff said...

STAY ARMED...stay safe!
    Agreed! Don't encourage the LEOs to break the law.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Its a ligit question. I know there were cases in New Orleans where LEO's did not do it. I just wanted to know how other LEO's felt about the situation.

Senior Moderator
    Just because some Mayor,City Council,Police Chief,Sheriff ,Governor or FEMA yahoo issues an "order" does not make it legal or does it make it right.

The Police in N.O. that confiscated weapons did it because they did not know the Law. Since then,their actions have been ruled illegal and several states have enacted laws with specific legislation to prevent that from happening in an emergency.

My answer would be:
    No
    No
    Morally? Hard to say without being there.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Its a ligit question. I know there were cases in New Orleans where LEO's did not do it. I just wanted to know how other LEO's felt about the situation.
    I think it is a "loaded" question that serves little purpose. I believe each person will act as they feel necessary based on the circustances and situation.

Rick

VIP Member
    Florida enacted legislation prohibiting the confiscation of guns during emergencies so that should not happen. That does not mean it won't.
    That being said, you might be facing the situation in which a LEO from an out of state & anti gun jurisdiction gets orders from a power hungry mayor. The order is illegal but you are not gonna contest forcefully because he is probably not alone. You may try to reason but if reason fails, try sneaky civil disobedience in the form of a cheap gun. Write a reciept for it and have the officer sign for it (Don't argue if he refuses to sign or identify him/herself) make notes on the whole event and once they leave, get the good stuff out & protect your family.
    When the emergency is over, sue the hell out of whomever gave the order.

And remember, you are NOT breaking the law. You are just avoiding unnecessary confrontations & legal costs.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

You know, when I did basic training many eons ago we had a very serious training session on legal and illegal orders and how to tell the difference and what we were required to do in the face of an illegal order. Are the police academies doing anything similar?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Florida enacted legislation prohibiting the confiscation of guns during emergencies so that should not happen. That does not mean it won't.
    Here here.

I like to think many would refuse to break the law because they are ordered to. I would like to think cops would act in the best interest of those they pledged to serve and protect... but until something happens I dunno.

-B

Administrator
    Everyone should read the questions and carefully ponder/consider their answers - reach whatever personal decision/conclusion that you reach and then keep your answers to yourself.

This thread is treading on thin ice for our forum.
    Only you'll know what you'll do personally when there is a knock at your door and that's the way it should stay. nuff said.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links